Land Ownership?

Hi all,

In order to carry out Geocaching responsibly, it is suggested and seems like a good idea to obtain permission of the land owner prior to placing a new cache..... this raises in my mind the following points.

1) Seeing it from their point of view, I would not be too happy if someone were to hide a plastic lunch box in my garden.

2) I would also expect most landowners, given half the chance to say no to the idea of hosting a cache. (Especially the uneducated ones... by that I mean non geocachers.)

3) How on earth do I know who owns the land and who do I need to ask anyway.

I do understand that just because a piece of land may have public access, this doesn't mean it is public land.

I would be interested to hear from other people who have placed caches, how they find best to deal with the issues above....

G.O.Cash.

If the land has public access, footpath/bridleway, the Rights of Way Officer at the County Council offices could be a good place to start.

Try the Geocaching Association of GB (GAGB) site -agreements database- to see who it is, if there is already an agrement in place (Or if they have said "No!")

I'd start by asking the farmers that I know if I could place a cache on their land, or try the vicar/church warden for a cache at the church...

Or on the canal (British Waterways)/local river... :mad:

Good Luck! :(