Does The 60csx Offer A Bearing Line?

Tymbee

Wondering if the Garmin 60csx allows for the display of a bearing line that indicates the direction of travel?

That would come in handy when flying a direct line route toward a particular destination.

if your going to a waypoint your have made, on the map screen it does have a line showing which way to go from your location. this can be turned off to I think.

You can set it to show the actual course to the waypoint or the original bearing if, form some reason, it was important to follow the original path. So did you want the course or the bearing to your destination?

I think these are the definitions:

course is a line from where you originally began your navigation to the destination (not an option on garmin)

Bearing is a line from your current location to your destination

Heading is the way you are heading now

The mode your are in (course/bearing) makes a difference on how the compass works as well as the lin on the map.

Wondering if the Garmin 60csx allows for the display of a bearing line that indicates the direction of travel?

That would come in handy when flying a direct line route toward a particular destination.

if your going to a waypoint your have made, on the map screen it does have a line showing which way to go from your location. this can be turned off to I think.

Edited by kb9nvh

You can set it to show the actual course to the waypoint or the original bearing if, form some reason, it was important to follow the original path. So did you want the course or the bearing to your destination?

I think these are the definitions:

Bearing is a line from where you originally began your navigation to the destination

Course is a line from your current location to your destination

Track is the way you are heading now

The mode your are in (course/bearing) makes a difference on how the compass works as well as the lin on the map.

That helps, thanks. I also wasn't very clear in what I'm doing...

We do aerial photography. With our aviation unit (GPSmap196) I lay out a route to guide the pilot to each designation in a route I've created. Along the way, if we stray off the route I can tell at a glance what direction we need to head to get back on route.

Of course the 60csx would not replace the aviation unit, but I do fly with some pilots who don't have GPS. In those cases I always bring my own GPS mainly to record track logs. The tracks are then matched to the date/time of the digital images to identify where each photo was taken.

For my own information I'd like to be able to glance down and get a "fix" where we are with respect to the target.

On your 60CSx you can go to the Main Menu and select "Highway". This gives you a 3-D horizon view with your route displayed, and I believe it shows real-time if you are on the route or off track. You get a visual display on where you are in relation to your route. Sounds like this may be what you are hoping for. I honestly have not used this feature, but have briefly looked at it. I will try it when I drive out for lunch later and report back. If you try it for your purpose let us know?

On your 60CSx you can go to the Main Menu and select "Highway". This gives you a 3-D horizon view with your route displayed, and I believe it shows real-time if you are on the route or off track. You get a visual display on where you are in relation to your route. Sounds like this may be what you are hoping for. I honestly have not used this feature, but have briefly looked at it. I will try it when I drive out for lunch later and report back. If you try it for your purpose let us know?

Thanks for the input. To be clear, I don't yet have this unit but have narrowed it down to this particular model as it would seem to do the kind of things I need.

As for "Highway" mode, again I haven't used this machine, but wouldn't that route overlay roads? I assume there's a direct line mode (since that's how the crow itself flies) :mad: would work best. (?)

As for "Highway" mode, again I haven't used this machine, but wouldn't that route overlay roads? I assume there's a direct line mode (since that's how the crow itself flies) :mad: would work best. (?)

Hey, it works! I ran my field test at lunch and this will do just what you want! Here's what I did. I created a route in MapSource in this case that followed my City Select street mapping so I could do this while driving, and to assure myself it does in fact follow a route on the Highway screen. Kind of a quality control measure.

I went to Routes, selected my test route, and told it to Navigate. It gives the option ot Follow Road, or Off Road. I chose Off Road. It then takes you to the Map page (and I had two data fields set up for Distance to Next and Heading). Then scroll to the Main Menu page, and select Highway. It displays your position over the 3-D "highway" horizon view along with your saved (planned) route. So cool!

You can zoom in/out, and if I kept on my planned route, it followed the streets (my route) dead-on. I then turned off for a couple of blocks to see how it displayed, and it shows your real-time position with the planned route displayed off to one side. It also gives beep prompts to alert you to waypoints along the route if you created via points. It will give you new headings with distances to bring you back on route. So if you create a route with via points you can absolutely fly your ultralight along a route from point to point! Thanks for getting me out to try this Tymbee!