Old Topic Disrespect

I know that there are quite a few repeated topics that we all grow tired of and I have seen quite a lot of disrespectful replies to them. If you hate these topics so much, why is it that you read them and find that you have to post on them? Is it not possible that the topic starters may not have realized there were previous similar ones? Wouldn't be just as easy to ignore the topics you are growing sick of? Just a suggestion. I'm not trying to name names, I just think a little more respect towards others is in order, as some people do not spend as much time on the forums.

ALSO... new cachers come here all the time seeking enlightenment or just a better idea of what caching is and the issues involved. Shoot, they might not even know what the heck to even search for in old threads. Sure, tons of things are repeated, but it is the price of open discourse I suppose. These debates will linger as long as caching is around.

I know that there are quite a few repeated topics that we all grow tired of and I have seen quite a lot of disrespectful replies to them. If you hate these topics so much, why is it that you read them and find that you have to post on them? Is it not possible that the topic starters may not have realized there were previous similar ones? Wouldn't be just as easy to ignore the topics you are growing sick of? Just a suggestion. I'm not trying to name names, I just think a little more respect towards others is in order, as some people do not spend as much time on the forums.

I was wondering that same thing. I saw another thread pop up about micros today and it sure didn't take long for the criticizing about starting another micro thread began.

These forums are for discussions and for giving opinions. They can sometimes become heated as cachers certainly think differently from one another about certain issues. This is where we can and should have our civilized debates. But to come in off topic with rude remarks because of a thread repeat is just plain childish. Folks, there is an easy solution for your dislike of certain threads,,, DON'T READ EM! :unsure:

I was wondering that same thing. I saw another thread pop up about micros today and it sure didn't take long for the criticizing about starting another micro thread began.

These forums are for discussions and for giving opinions. They can sometimes become heated as cachers certainly think differently from one another about certain issues. This is where we can and should have our civilized debates. But to come in off topic with rude remarks because of a thread repeat is just plain childish. Folks, there is an easy solution for your dislike of certain threads,,, DON'T READ EM! :o

I've learned that the hard way this past few weeks. I was scared to come in here for a while. :unsure:

I couldn't help but post in here. :o:D

I knew I heard a familiar voice :D

You're stalking me. :unsure: Shoo!

:D

Alright, you two. Back to where you belong!!

On topic, yes, it doesn't cost much to be civil in the forums. Let's all play nicely, shall we? Or must Momma punish everyone?

I'll be good. :D

*shuffles feet*

This thread is similar to another thread complaining about other threads....... :unsure:

Many times people suggest that the poster looks at the old threads because they are too worn out from the fight to give the same tired old argument. This is especially true when the old thread hasn't even fallen off the first page yet.

Edited by sbell111

These forums are for discussions and for giving opinions. They can sometimes become heated as cachers certainly think differently from one another about certain issues. This is where we can and should have our civilized debates. But to come in off topic with rude remarks because of a thread repeat is just plain childish. Folks, there is an easy solution for your dislike of certain threads,,, DON'T READ EM! :unsure:

How can you be sure you're going to dislike the thread without reading it? And if you just skip the thread based on the title or opening post you might miss it if someone comes up with a new idea or outlook.

The problem isn't necessarily the repetition of the thread as much as the repetition of the responses. The same people give the same responses and get in the same arguments. Notice I said arguments, not discussion.

This topic has come up before. What I've never been able to figure out is why people that are bothered by disrespectful replies keep reading and posting about it. I mean it would seem like if it annoyed them they would just avoid it, or ignore it or something. Its not like anyone has to read a post, or respond, right?

This topic has come up before. What I've never been able to figure out is why people that are bothered by disrespectful replies keep reading and posting about it. I mean it would seem like if it annoyed them they would just avoid it, or ignore it or something. Its not like anyone has to read a post, or respond, right?

It doesn't bother me that much, I just wouldn't like to be the poster having all that critcism and plus talking about how the threads have been overdone gets off topic.

It doesn't bother me that much, I just wouldn't like to be the poster having all that critcism and plus talking about how the threads have been overdone gets off topic.

But you keep reading them don't you? :mad:

Obviously I read them, but with an open mind. I don't feel the need to belittle the thread poster just because I've read the same idea before over and over again. What I was I saying is that its better to not say anything if all you want is to make that person feel stupid. I read them because I can handle reading them and not having the urge to make myself feel superior over other people.

Obviously I read them, but with an open mind. I don't feel the need to belittle the thread poster just because I've read the same idea before over and over again. What I was I saying is that its better to not say anything if all you want is to make that person feel stupid. I read them because I can handle reading them and not having the urge to make myself feel superior over other people.

Good answer!

I only want to add:

Do you go to parties and walk around the room telling people they should change their topic because you already discussed that topic on the other side of the room?

I only want to add:

Do you go to parties and walk around the room telling people they should change their topic because you already discussed that topic on the other side of the room?

Similarly, do you refuse to contribute to a conversation because you've spoken on that topic previously?

I only want to add:

Similarly, do you refuse to contribute to a conversation because you've spoken on that topic previously?

If you do choose to contribute to the conversation and your input is "OMG, not this again! I can't believe you're talking about this again! Didn't you just hear us talking about that over there? How redundant can you be??" then you come off looking like a moron.

I only want to add:

If you do choose to contribute to the conversation and your input is "OMG, not this again! I can't believe you're talking about this again! Didn't you just hear us talking about that over there? How redundant can you be??" then you come off looking like a moron.

:mad: Gosh, I still like you.

Anyway, I think most people do that out of the angst involved with so many threads being about the same worn topic, over and over again. Its not that the idea has been discussed previously, often it is that it is a current topic and there is no point to having two threads beat the same horse.

:mad: Gosh, I still like you.

Anyway, I think most people do that out of the angst involved with so many threads being about the same worn topic, over and over again. Its not that the idea has been discussed previously, often it is that it is a current topic and there is no point to having two threads beat the same horse.

:( I was using the collective "you", I know you're not a moron.

And I hear you, the same stuff getting rehashed incessantly is annoying. But I find it even more annoying to read multiple comments with sarcasitc or condescending tone when it only takes one or two concise posts to point the "new whiner" over to the older, longer whining thread. Instead everybody jumps on and goes nuts. That's just ugly, but whatever floats your (collective) boat!

:mad: I was using the collective "you", I know you're not a moron.

And I hear you, the same stuff getting rehashed incessantly is annoying. But I find it even more annoying to read multiple comments with sarcasitc or condescending tone when it only takes one or two concise posts to point the "new whiner" over to the older, longer whining thread. Instead everybody jumps on and goes nuts. That's just ugly, but whatever floats your (collective) boat!

If you just put the morons on your "ignore" list in the forums, the annoying posts are cut way back, and you wind up reading just pleasant, intelligent posts from reasonable people like MountainMudbug.

Now, of course, sometimes a reasonable person will quote a post from someone you're ignoring, thereby defeating the purpose of ignoring them. Let's stamp out quotations!

I only want to add:

Well said. I don't mean to point fingers at anyone and definitely don't want to pick any fights. I'm just stating my opinion.

:mad: ok

If a person were at a party and made some of the remarks that I have seen on these forums I suspect that someone would take them out in the alley and beat the sh*t out of them.

It seems obvious to me that just because there is not repurcussions for what is said that some posters will say anything.

Maybe if posters thought about what they are saying and used the party analogy before the sent their posts off we could have more civil forums.

Boy howdy am I confused I thought this was a thread about fourm denizens disrespecting the threads about old threads Its really a thread pointing out that sometimes less experienced cachers and posters rehash old topics and dont get the respect they might deserve for asking a question in a new thread instead if using the handy and most excellent search function located in the upper right corner of every page right

shouldnt the thread have been called disrespecting starters of new threads

yup lack of punctuation and emoticons can really be confusing at times especially to a simpleminded jack like me sorry for interrupting

So my question is, Why the angst? So someone asks the same question or starts another thread about micros again. It's certainly not anything to get your panties in a bunch over.

This is what i meant by my "DON"T READ EM" reply above. Look at the first post and if you don't like it, then hit your back button. If you want to add something constructive or point to the other thread, then go for it, but you don't have to be inconsiderate with a reply like:

--yawn--

or

YAMBBBT

(Yet Another Micro Blah Blah Blah Thread)

My goodness! I sure hope that some of you don't go to reading in the getting started forum. The same questions about which brand GPSr, how to hide, how to find the cache,, etc,,,, You angsters would have to get on the calm me down pills for sure! :laughing:

It is really insulting to the people who are interested in the thread, to tell them that their discussion is invalid because the can just go read some stale old thread where other (smarter?) people have pre-discussed the subject for them and pre-thought all the thoughts that are necessary to be thought.

Some people would like to have and participate in a live discussion, rather than read sombody else's thoughts from months ago. It's a natural human urge to want to express ourselves. When hyou try to supress a thread because it's been discussed before, you are trying to supress the freedom of expression of the individuals who have a genuine interest in the new thread.

Besides, isn't it just *SLIGHTLY* possible that someone might have a new thought that adds something valuable to the topic? Do you really think that all those old threads are somehow complete, sacrosanct and un-improvable?

Edited by headybrew

....Besides, isn't it just *SLIGHTLY* possible that someone might have a new thought that adds something valuable to the topic? Do you really think that all those old threads are somehow complete, sacrosanct and un-improvable?

Back when there was nothing new to discuss that wasn't already discussed they had a name for it. The Dark Ages as I recall.

what does it matter if people want to discuss stuff that's already been talked about in the past? new people are being born all the time and they might want to talk about something when they get older... or is there a moratorium on topics now?

better to have the forums full and busy then empty, you can either read them or not your choice.

live and let live. :huh:

It is really insulting to the people who are interested in the thread, to tell them that their discussion is invalid because the can just go read some stale old thread where other (smarter?) people have pre-discussed the subject for them and pre-thought all the thoughts that are necessary to be thought.

I believe that you are tweaking the issue a bit to make your argument. I believe that in those cases that the topic is repetitive, but there is no current thread, people will generally markwell older threads. This isn't necessarily disrespectful, in my opinion as much good info can be found in these 'stale old threads'.

The repetitive threads that are disrespected, in my opinion (Man, I hate to use respect as a verb, but what are you going to do. :huh: ), are those threads that are duplicates of other current threads. In my mind, current threads are those that are still on page 1. No search is required to find these. All one must do is open his/her eyes. Personally, I think its bad form (and disrespectful of the forum community) to start new threads that merely discuss the same topic as other current threads. These disrespectful threads tend to attract disrespectful comments.

Edited by sbell111

^^ What you're talking about, repetitive threads on the same page, might be annoying, but doesn't equal disrespect to me. There's no malicious intent involved when threads like that happen - - - but there is when someone chooses to make a "disrespectful" reply. Those type of replies are disrespectful to the author as well. As a newcomer to the sport and the forum, I'm left wondering what's safe to discuss and what's not. Some people are computer and forum savy and some people aren't. This is a relatively new sport and there is a lot to learn. Live and let live. If you open a topic and it happens to be one that's been discussed previously, it's faster to hit the back button then to leave an unfriendly reply. Unfriendly replies also do nothing toward painting a positive image of this community and the sport. First impressions are everything.

In the future, if I happend to run across repetitive topics, I choose to either hit back on my browser or provide a link to the previous thread. I think that's a more contructive way to comport oneself.

Edited by Brayden's Brigade

I like Girls,

I like them a lot.

I like boys in kilts,

I like them a lot.

Uh.......if this is you...uh....er....I don't think I like where this is going....

<snip>

That is just the husband.....

He is at a cache site.

Whew, OK then. Those team accounts can throw you. :huh: