Best Footwear

grifta67

Hey everyone!

Pretty new here. I've been at it for only a few days and have found 8 local caches so far. I love it!

This weekend I hope to try some of the official Cleveland Metropark caches. This leads me to my question about what footwear to go with.

They're all involving trails through the woods of course, so decent footwear is needed. I haven't gotten around to buying any hiking boots yet, so I just use my regular sneakers. Some of them involve crossing streams, and here is my dilemma. I obviously don't want to walk around in wet shoes all day. I had thought about wearing my water shoes, but I'm afraid they wouldn't be sturdy enough for the hiking portion.

So fellow cachers, what do you wear when your journey involves crossing water?

Thanks!!

-Sean

For most of my caching I wear hiking boots. If its a dash and grab though in a suburban park where I have to deal with wet grass and perhaps a shallow stream I wear a pair of Salomon Gore-tex trail runners. Trail runners are basically sneakers on steroids. They provide more support than regular running shoes, but are still lightweight. The Gore-tex keeps the feet dry as long as water doesn't come over the top. I really like the cable system that Salomon uses instead of laces. They work as slip ons most of the time, but if I find a need to run or the if terrain is a bit more rugged, I pull the cable tight and fasten it with the nifty clip.

650942.jpg

Edited by briansnat

If you carry a day pack you could always, take along a pair of sandels. Change at the water, wear them until your feet dry out then change back into your shoes. You can hang your wet sandles on the pack for the trip back.

You could also look for a spot to cross on the rocks if you can find one. I always travel with a aluminium walking stick for this reason. ( and many others)

Just my .02

Don't forget dry socks, no matter waht you decide.

lost

My review, for what it is worth, lol.

Have gone through five pairs of Merrells in the last four years. When Merrell decides to stop changing its tread patterns and compounds their shoes will be worthwhile, and not wear out so quick. Every six months I see new tread designs, and the newest arent any good on trails I believe. Prior to this I was a VERY firm believer in their shoes.

I purchased the above shown Solomans for $39.99 through fatwallet.com's store Sierra Trading Post, saving around $80.00, and getting 3.3% cashback also. You can also recieve free shipping with STP, but this you will have to find out how to do on your own. I cant give it all to you!

I am enjoying these shoes very much, appears to be that I have to have them very snug on my feet to get their maximum advantages. Also, standing or stepping on wet rocks is dangerous with them because they get very slippery on the bottoms when wet, other than this they are good.

:unsure: Good luck! :o

Edited by Colorado Cacher

A nice pair of Magnum's have never let me down yet. Lightweight, water resistant, realy comfortable, I weam them all week long at work and out hiking on the weekends. I do have three pairs so I can rotate through them to let them air out.

footwear-magnum-4.jpg

Magnum boots are comfortable, durable, and light weight tactical footwear. Comfor Tongue: anatomically sculpted to fit the contour of the foot. Provides adds protection from water, snow and other elements. Tendon/Shank Suspension Midsole: yields impact protection and torsional stability. Tendon suspension Midsole: provides superior impact protection, highly shock absorbent and will not wear down. TSD Outsole: provides outstanding traction, support and durability.

Currently used by US Navy SEALs, SWAT and other special force

I wear hiking boots while hiking in the CMP. They're Herman Survivor's "Commander" that I buy at Walmart. They're big, black, heavy, and waterproof (not water resistant). So, while others are trying to gingerly cross streams while balancing on rocks, I just walk across. And you need the traction on some of the hills, especially with all the rain we've had lately.

If my feet do get wet (time to re-waterproof the boots), it's like in the 80's out there. That cool water feels good.

Edited by RichardMoore

I'll wear 3 different types of foot wear.

Crocs in towns

hiking boots on easy trails

hunting boots on rough stuff

Both the hiking and hunting boots have gortex.

Hiking boots or shoes are great for most trails.

Hunting boots have more ankle support then hiking boots and I like that while crossing loose rocks, steep terrain and on longer hikes. They are heaver but that is something I am willing to accept.

Two brands I really like are Danner and Rocky. Danner or more expensive but you do get what you pay for, great quality! Rocky are light and very comfortable.

Edited by ajayhawkfan

I either wear Keen Targhees' or Keen Newports in the summer. Mostly it depends on terrain and temperature. Both are water proof and the Newports can be thrown in the washing machine with a load of laundry. I have found that socks can make a big difference in how well your shoes perform. So when I am wearing the Targhees I also wear Adrenaline Multi-Sport Mini Crews from SmratWool. These socks are awesome.

In the winter I wear a nice pair of Danners I have had since my days in Alaska in the Army.

I have a pair of timberland hiking boots that I wear to work and out geocaching, when I geocache in shorts, or am not planning (yeah but plans change) to go geocaching, I wear my very old pair of Nike sandals, i've had em for years, and they are still going strong. If I could find a new pair of those sandals, or a design like em, I would buy another pair in a second, they have held up for about 8 years so far and still have decent tread on em. Best 50 bucks I ever spent on footwear