Where's George Tracking

You would log any wheresgeorge bills you find on www.wheresgeorge.com. If you mention that you found the bill in a geocache it will eliminated from any statistics or top 10 lists, but they will still be tracked on the site.

And why is this? Do they exclude bills that are found at McDonalds? Or ones you mention you got from PNC bank? I mean, come on now. That seems a little petty... what is their problem? (and yes, I am being serious, not sarcastic...)

Well, editing... I read their rules, and it says that it has to be normally spent money - I guess placing it in a cache isn't considered spending it in a normal way... but still!

Edited by FireRef

You would log any wheresgeorge bills you find on www.wheresgeorge.com. If you mention that you found the bill in a geocache it will eliminated from any statistics or top 10 lists, but they will still be tracked on the site.

And why is this? Do they exclude bills that are found at McDonalds? Or ones you mention you got from PNC bank? I mean, come on now. That seems a little petty... what is their problem? (and yes, I am being serious, not sarcastic...)

Well, editing... I read their rules, and it says that it has to be normally spent money - I guess placing it in a cache isn't considered spending it in a normal way... but still!

The problem was that people would move bills from cache to cache like TBs and pretty soon many of the bills on the top 10 hit lists were "geocache bills".

I disagree that placing a bill in a cache isn't normal circulation. People leave money in caches all the time. No reason the money can't be registered on WG. It's when the money doesn't leave the geocaching world and moves from cache to cache that it becomes an issue, but placing a dollar in a cache is just as naturall as buying gum with it.

Edited by briansnat

Is there a place on Where's George to log Geocaching finds?

:o

Needs to be. :D:D Just due to the fact that I know they LOVE us so much. :D:unsure:

And I would know of absolutely nobody that has ever made TB's out of their dollar bills. (walks away very slowly whistling, and rolling his eyes around)

Edited by Colorado Cacher

You got it. They want to track the natural circulation of money. Meaning log and track money on their site as if they didn't exist...Except that by ruling out caches they also miss that money flows and and out. I do my part to encourage the natural flow by not logging anything. Since logging itself is not natural flow. :unsure:

There was no problem. Until someone thought they found a cheap way to make a travel bug. After all it only costs $1 to track something at WG vs $5 for TB dog tags. I believe the first dollar bill used like a TB was attached to an R2D2 action figure. If I remeber correctly the dollar bill wasn't actually attached but what was attached was a tag with the dollar bills serial number and instruction on how to log it at WG. TPTB at WG don't want their site used as an alternate TB tracking site. Simply, WG is a dollar bill tracking site not a TB tracking site. Not every webpage is going to allow you to play the geocaching game any way you see fit.

If the WG bill was placed in a cache as a trade item, then it was a transaction. .. just as if it were spent at the local Circle K for a Thirst Buster. As long as the bill is being used as a trade item, it's serving it's original intent as currency.

Every bill I've ever seen says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public or private." So the debt happend to be for a McToy, in a tupperware container, on the side of the highway, at 2AM.

Hank, (the owner of wheresgeorge.com) has a real stick up his butt about "natural circulation". The majority of bills on WG.com are NOT naturally circulated any more than bills left in caches!

People don't "naturally" spend nothing but marked $1 bills..........but many people on WG.com DO. You won't be able to enter too many bills if you did it the way you "normally" spent money.

Whole bunch of hoopla over nothing, really. He should just let people do what they want with THEIR BILLS. They can't be counted in the stats, of course.

TCHC (who has about 18k bills entered on wg.com)

Hank, (the owner of wheresgeorge.com) has a real stick up his butt about "natural circulation". The majority of bills on WG.com are NOT naturally circulated any more than bills left in caches!

People don't "naturally" spend nothing but marked $1 bills..........but many people on WG.com DO. You won't be able to enter too many bills if you did it the way you "normally" spent money.

Whole bunch of hoopla over nothing, really. He should just let people do what they want with THEIR BILLS. They can't be counted in the stats, of course.

TCHC (who has about 18k bills entered on wg.com)

The natural circulation bit is baloney. When someone receives a marked bill, they pull it from "natural circulation" so they can take it home and enter it. That act alone alters the "natural circulation".

As I said earlier, putting a dollar bill in a cache is as natural as spending it on gum. I can see their point about bills that act as TBs, but they are now tagging any bill that has ever been in a geocache at any point in its life as a geocaching bill. That's just plain silly.

This true. Before Geocaching, I would find WG$ and make sure to hold on to them until I got home so I could enter them into the website. I did this even if I had the opportunity to spend the bill at another location!

So it can be argued that the mere stamp of Where's George, changes the natural circulation of the bill.

On the other hand, regarding letting people do what ever they want with their WG bills ... how exactly is this different then letting cachers logging finds on-line even if they didn't personally sign the physical log ... :unsure:

This true. Before Geocaching, I would find WG$ and make sure to hold on to them until I got home so I could enter them into the website. I did this even if I had the opportunity to spend the bill at another location!

So it can be argued that the mere stamp of Where's George, changes the natural circulation of the bill.

On the other hand, regarding letting people do what ever they want with their WG bills ... how exactly is this different then letting cachers logging finds on-line even if they didn't personally sign the physical log ... :mad:

Forget "Godwin's Law"... Now we have the "DRR Law"!

Fine! So now, every WG dollar I find, I will stick in my wallet and spend rather than carrying to another cache.

Or I'll just tear it up. :mad: Who wants defaced money anyway?

Oh, and don't tell them you found it in a cache.

Edited by Jhwk

Fine! So now, every WG dollar I find, I will stick in my wallet and spend rather than carrying to another cache.

Oh, and don't tell them you found it in a cache.

That's what I do. I don't move WG$ from cache to cache. If I take one, it goes into my wallet for spending, especially since if I were to place it into a cache, I'd actually have to do work to figure out what zip code I was in so I could log it properly.

I think it is stupid for wheresgeorge to single out cachers the way they do! There are lots of ways to cheat at anything...since seeing how they seem to hate caches, I have started to find out other ways to "cheat" at georging. example: I entered a bill in S.C. one day it was in Mass. the next day! is this cheating? I once put a bill in a cache it stayed there for 1 year!! Who is this cheating??? one person on wheresgeorge has entered over 500,000 bills! Is this cheating? or just crazy???I think it is just like a lot of other things PEOPLE TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY....http://www.myspace.com/calmcinv

Edited by Mvillian

Can we collect a bunch of WG's and send them over so they can buy a clue

It's Hanks website and he can run it any way he wants. If you disagree you create your own money tracking site, others have before.

You're lucky he even allows bills that were once in geocaches to be tracked at all. There was a time that he was thinking about locking all enties for any bill that found its way in to a geocache. If you really think you can change Hanks mind why don't you go over to the Where's George message boards. Complaining about it here won't change a thing.

Thanks, guys....sounds like the WG people have a definition problem....kinda like our past president or the problem society has with defining "normal"....haha

Natural circulation is anything that someone does with their money...it is THEIR business when in THEIR posession....that is NATURAL....and geocaching is the most natural thing around.....LOVE IT!

lol

Edited by spacesea

Thanks, guys....sounds like the WG people have a definition problem....kinda like our past president or the problem society has with defining "normal"....haha

Natural circulation is anything that someone does with their money...it is THEIR business when in THEIR posession....that is NATURAL....and geocaching is the most natural thing around.....LOVE IT!

lol

Respectfully, it isn't "the WG people" that have a "definition problem." It is you. Don't confuse TPTB at GC with TPTB at WG. WG has rules that they expect to be followed. Please don't bring your, I want to play the game my way, attitude to WG or you will run the risk of getting all georges that find their way in to geocaches blocked.

Respectfully, it isn't "the WG people" that have a "definition problem."

Respectfully, yes it is the "WG person" ie the guy who owns the site/makes the rules, who has a "definition problem".

Let's look at another example of where we have to play by his misconception of natural circulation, instead of actual natural circulation. I get a bill and enter it. I then spend it at Sheetz, and someone else gets it as change. They go home at the next town away and enter it, then use it to pay for pizza delivery. Later, I order a pizza and get that dollar back as change. Perfectly natural circulation, but because of the site owner's definition problem, I can't log it again to show it's natural circulation back to me.

That must be a recent change, IVW. I don't do much WG, placed maybe 30 bills last year and got bored with it, but did have this unusual situation arise:

A geocacher/georger friend, Moonsilver, is heavily into both games. He marked, spent and registered a bill in Cullman, Alabama.

Another geocacher, T3chman, was given the bill as change in Tuscaloosa Al. some two weeks later, but not being a Georger did not log it.

At the time these men did not know one another.

A week after that T3chman, Moonsilver and I met in Decatur Al for a day of caching. We stopped for lunch and when we went to pay T3chman paid, in part, with the marked bill. Moonsilver saw the marking, picked it up and was shocked to see it was his and had moved so far and come back to him in three weeks!

He logged the bill and described the event, so I know that at one time the scenario you describe was acceptable.

As far as WG bills in caches, they've asked us not to... what's left to debate?

Respectfully, it isn't "the WG people" that have a "definition problem."

Respectfully, yes it is the "WG person" ie the guy who owns the site/makes the rules, who has a "definition problem".

Let's look at another example of where we have to play by his misconception of natural circulation, instead of actual natural circulation. I get a bill and enter it. I then spend it at Sheetz, and someone else gets it as change. They go home at the next town away and enter it, then use it to pay for pizza delivery. Later, I order a pizza and get that dollar back as change. Perfectly natural circulation, but because of the site owner's definition problem, I can't log it again to show it's natural circulation back to me.

I still stand by my statement. He doen't have a definition problem. It is his website and therefore he has every right define natural circulation any way he wants for those who make entries in to his database.

That must be a recent change, IVW.

I don't think it's that new, this has been in the FAQ over at WheresGeorge.com as long as I can remember:

#16 I just got back a bill I spent a few days ago, but I can't enter it. Why not?

Bills are only re-entered for the same user under EXTREME circumstances, like significant time or great distances. Just add a user note to the bill explaining the situation, and then respend the bill and hope for another hit. If you feel that your situation is EXTREME, see the Contact Us page for our email address.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that "tracking a dollar bill" is pretty useless? So I have a dollar bill and know that someone bought a pack of gum in Ohio, a McDonald's burger in Florida and a candy bar in Texas with? I mean, really, who cares? How many one dollar bills are in circulation? Millions and Millions, I bet!! So I just save my Where's George bills from caches and buy a Travel Bug tag with it, and put in on a one of a kind 'toilet gasket' or 'used fan belt'!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that "tracking a dollar bill" is pretty useless? So I have a dollar bill and know that someone bought a pack of gum in Ohio, a McDonald's burger in Florida and a candy bar in Texas with? I mean, really, who cares? How many one dollar bills are in circulation? Millions and Millions, I bet!! So I just save my Where's George bills from caches and buy a Travel Bug tag with it, and put in on a one of a kind 'toilet gasket' or 'used fan belt'!

I agree to has no use beyond the simple intrige of watching it float from place to place.

Probably the original intent the the website owner.

I expect most Georgers would ask the same about TBs - each to their own, right?

I asked earlier and nobody has touched it - TPTB on WheresGeorge asked that WG bills not be placed in geocaches - what more is there to debate?

TPTB on WheresGeorge asked that WG bills not be placed in geocaches -

I wonder if he minds if someone regularly distributes WG$s to truckers for cross country trips?? this really is my last post on this topic and I think it should be closed??because it really has nothing to do with caching!!

Edited by Mvillian
I asked earlier and nobody has touched it - TPTB on WheresGeorge asked that WG bills not be placed in geocaches - what more is there to debate?

Where do they ask that WG bills not be placed in geocaches? It's not mentioned in the FAQ or user guidelines.

As far as I know all they do is tag bills that have been in geocaches and make them ineligible for any top 10 lists.

Even if they did ask that we not put WG bills in geocaches, its not their dollar - its mine. I can spend it, place it in a cache, or wipe my butt with it. If they don't like it they can delete it from their site.

People put money in caches all the time. Placing bills and coins in caches is part of their natural circulation. So what if one of them happens to be registered on WG.

...Even if they did ask that we not put WG bills in geocaches, its not their dollar - its mine. I can spend it, place it in a cache, or wipe my butt with it. If they don't like it they can delete it from their site. ...

Once again, Brian beat me to my point, and made it better than I had planned to. Way to go, BrianSnat!

I got sidetracked by reading the linked thread, but was bothered by this and other statements made by Hank:

Geogcaching is a giant pain in my rear-end due to the manner in which people use WG bills as cache items, totally screwing up my system which was not designed or intended for that purpose. No way in hell would I support any geocaching activities.
This and other statements made by Hank tend to suggest that he in some way believes that he owns these dollars simply because someone has logged them on his site.

I stand by my belief that trading a dollar for a trinket is no different than any other purchase that can be made with one and is, therefore, a perfectly normal transaction. In fact, the only abnormal transaction that I have read about in this and other similar threads is the one where you take the dollar home and log it to WG.com.

Edited by sbell111
As far as I know all they do is tag bills that have been in geocaches and make them ineligible for any top 10 lists.

So how much more direct evidence do you need that they don't want them in caches?

That only means they don't want them showing on their top 10 lists. If they didn't want them on the website they could easily delete them. If they don't want them on their website then why is there an entire page discussing what is appropriate and not regarding geocaching and WG$?

Can we collect a bunch of WG's and send them over so they can buy a clue

It's Hanks website and he can run it any way he wants. If you disagree you create your own money tracking site, others have before.

You're lucky he even allows bills that were once in geocaches to be tracked at all. There was a time that he was thinking about locking all enties for any bill that found its way in to a geocache. If you really think you can change Hanks mind why don't you go over to the Where's George message boards. Complaining about it here won't change a thing.

IT WAS CALLED SARCASIM!!!...gees...