Any Gps Programs For Pocket Pc?

blairfrog

I want to start getting involved in geocaching but want to try and avoid the expense of a gps unit. I just put out money for a pocket pc. I've seen some programs where you can run a pocket pc with a gps unit but does anyone know a program that turns the pc into a gps unit? I appreciate any help!

Blairfrog

Akron, OH

Welcome to the addiction! :wub:

I'm sure someone can come along and help you, but keep in mind that PPCs are fragile and not up to the rigors of Geocaching. Nor do the batteries last as long as those of a GPS unit.

I have a Garmin Vista C which is durable and waterproof. I can go on an all-day Geocaching adventure and the batteries last 12 hours. All the cache information is in Cachemate on an inexpensive Palm M500.

The GPS attachment for your PPC (card or bluetooth) and software is likely to cost more than many GPSr's.

You can buy a Garmin eTrex Legend for about $120 and it will be more than enough of a GPS to find any cache out there. Even comes with a cable to download waypoints to the unit from your computer.

You probably should rethink your desire to get a GPS adaptor for your pocket PC. Pocket PCs are built for the office and not to withstand the abuse they will receive while geocaching. In the course of geocaching your unit will get rained on, snowed on, dropped, banged on rocks, draged through brush and possibly dunked in streams. You might find yourself out a few hundred bucks with one fall off a log into a stream.

Handheld GPS units are built for the outdoors and can withstand a lot. You can find an inexpensive handheld GPS for well under $100 and for $20-$50 more you can get a darn good unit that is full of great features.

Looks like a lot of people are not too keen on using a PPC (Not Palm!) to GPS with. If I had a day to navigate with them using mine, they would walk away wishing they had gone a similar direction as I did.

1) Get a waterproof bag, about $40. I can provide the links if you wish. In the mean time, Im using a zip lock freezer bag and it protects my device from water, rain and dirt. Problem solved.

2) If you are careless with your gear, its gonna get busted. Take care of you equipment and it will take care of you. Problem solved.

3) If you already have a PPC, a GPSr is about $70 and the software is about $24. Invested: $94 or so dollars. So, for less than a yellow eTrax or an Explorist 100, you get ultra sensitivity, color, moving topo maps, moving arial photos, fast cycling direction compas, and easily store and import GPX and LOC files. If you want, you can listen to MP3s while your doing this (I dont myself, but theres still this weird MP3 craze going on). I also can pull up JPEGs of maps screen capped off Google maps (of the GC), make and update PocketWord documents (many of which have added details on the cache). Problem solved.

Id be interested in other's with PPC and GPSr that use them *regularly* reply on this thread.

This remind me, I have my new pure digital camcorder (read: records onto SD memory in MPEG4) coming, Ive got to get some videos put together to showcase this awesome setup.

HTH,

11B out...

Edited by ElevenBravo

I've got a iPaq PPC and have it loaded with Mapopolis for voice and visual promts auto routing. Self-contained GPS's only give arrows and beeps for turn info so the PPC is much better IMO. Mapopolis also has a GPS page that you can use in the woods. It gives current coordinates, bearing arrow, direction arrrows, distance to cache, elevation, etc. I also overlay the street maps with caches in about 130 miles radius, about 4000, using gpxtomaplet, so that as I'm driving around I can see all the caches on the street maps. Tap the icon and distance from home, smart name, D/T, cache type, container type, are displayed. Hit navigate to and Mapopolis will route you on the streeets to the closest road near the cache. I use GSAK to create the gpx files for that purpose.

I've got gpxsonar loaded for paperless caching. Sometime I download from National Geographic for realtime navigation in the woods on their 24K quad topo maps, all in color.

I have a SirfStar III slipped in the PPC's CF slot so I do not need a separate GPS to hook up too. These type high end GPS are also available for SD slots. If I going "deep" into the woods, I'll take my Vista as a backup and to provide 100k topo maps.

You should add prtoection for your PPC as mentioned above if you're using a lot in the field.

I think PPC's on the road and in the woods are super.

I've got a iPaq PPC and have it loaded with Mapopolis for voice and visual promts auto routing. Self-contained GPS's only give arrows and beeps for turn info so the PPC is much better IMO. Mapopolis also has a GPS page that you can use in the woods. It gives current coordinates, bearing arrow, direction arrrows, distance to cache, elevation, etc. I also overlay the street maps with caches in about 130 miles radius, about 4000, using gpxtomaplet, so that as I'm driving around I can see all the caches on the street maps. Tap the icon and distance from home, smart name, D/T, cache type, container type, are displayed. Hit navigate to and Mapopolis will route you on the streeets to the closest road near the cache. I use GSAK to create the gpx files for that purpose.

I've got gpxsonar loaded for paperless caching. Sometime I download from National Geographic for realtime navigation in the woods on their 24K quad topo maps, all in color.

I have a SirfStar III slipped in the PPC's CF slot so I do not need a separate GPS to hook up too. These type high end GPS are also available for SD slots. If I going "deep" into the woods, I'll take my Vista as a backup and to provide 100k topo maps.

You should add prtoection for your PPC as mentioned above if you're using a lot in the field.

I think PPC's on the road and in the woods are super.

I love using pocket pcs to gps hunt. I will have to look into GPSdash as I am more familar with beeline GPS. I have dell axim x05v. This unit has both a CF and SD slot so it super flexible. I have beat the living crap out of my unit and it works fine. A screen protector and a padded case is all that less clumsy people need. You can buy a bluetooth SIRF III gps unit for around $90 or less on sale. They also sell CF or SD slot GPS units but I prefer the bluetooth so I can put in a belt pouch and not have to worry about carrying it. It is super sensitive so I don't have to worry about dropping signals. The battery can be a small issue but with a 2nd battery or an extended battery it is less of a worry or you can buy on EBay a battery powered recharger that will run and at the same time recharge the unit. I think they are like $8 plus shippping. I can dl all my pocket queries right to my PDA and have all the info at my fingertips without having to input any data. In addition to caching I use my PDA to navigate roads, listen to podcasts and music, take pictures including while caching by using a sd slot camera. When in civilization I can surf the net with the built in wireless features. I can watch movies on it's sharp VGA screen to keep the kiddies occupied or I can transfer shows from my tivo to it and watch them on the go.

In comparison I also have a Palm based PDA the garmin Ique 3600 and the battery life on this is awful, the operating system frequently crashes etc.

11Bravo,

GO PPC! We've got everything we need for paperless travel and viewing Google Earth images, too.

I am just getting started in cacheing and will also be using an IPAQ HX2495, WM5 with a BT GPS I just picked up for 69.00 at Fry's. It is the Earthmate Street Atlas 2006 handheld version. I've used the desktop version for a year.

My BT GPS will sync with my laptop, for Streets & Trips 2005 or SA2006, it will also sync to my pda for either S&T2005 Pocket Streets and SA2006HH versions.

I have 4 gig of storage, music, books and Podcasting to listen to while walking. :D

I've been trying to locate software to add, so I can download the .loc files or .gpx files, (still learning in that area, what I need) and found your replies here to be informative and just in my area of need.

This is my 2nd PDA, the first lasted over 5 yrs, a Casio Cassiopeia E-125.

In your opinion, what all software will I need to be able to convert the files from Geocaching.com, to usable files for my PDA?

I have entered coordinates into S&T2005 once, to locate a cache in Bob Woodruf park in Plano. I got close to the location, but had no GPS to tell me just how close I was to the treasure, so I think I'm on the right track with my software choices.

So If I buy GPSDash, what do I need to convert/import the files to locate these cache'? Is there a link you can forward with ...step by step... instructions?

Thank you,

Jerry