A Global Geocaching Event

Hi Folks,

I started this thread at the suggestion of Turtle3863 after a brief discussion on JoGPS's thread about Geowoodstock5. Simply put, I put up the idea of holding that event outside the US and, of course, expense was the main issue. So leaving Geowoodstock alone, let's have a think about how we could accomplish a 'G'iga event on a global scale. It could be fun to have a truly international get together somewhere either real or virtual. Here's a few ideas of ours:

1. A 2 or 4 yearly event in a different country with folks coming from all over the planet.

2. Simultaneously held events in different countries (reducing the requirement for expensive travel). These could be linked by web cams etc. Competitions could be held at the same time with different teams of cachers attempting to get in the most number of caches in a day (or something... )

Please, feel free to add your thoughts, negative or positive.

Martin

I really like the idea of a global event.

In Scouting we do a Jamboree on the Internet, no reason this couldn't work for an event like this ... as long as you've got a good crew to organize it. You'd also need the bandwidth, servers, chat client info, the chat rooms, and several places for folks to meet if they want to do local get-togethers simultaneously.

Shouldn't be too difficult, right? :laughing:

if you wanted an online-get together, you could do it through Yahoo messenger, at home, or in stations. If we had enough people want to do this, we could have hundreds of stations all around the world together at the same time. I think it's a great idea, myself, seeing how I would never have the money to go to an international event. (Or even one just a few states away like GW. :/)

1. A 2 or 4 yearly event in a different country with folks coming from all over the planet.

2. Simultaneously held events in different countries (reducing the requirement for expensive travel). These could be linked by web cams etc. Competitions could be held at the same time with different teams of cachers attempting to get in the most number of caches in a day (or something... )

Please, feel free to add your thoughts, negative or positive.

Martin

From the original post, I thought this was suggesting more of a Live-Aid type of set-up than an online get-together. Medium to large events would be held in/near big cities or other chosen spots. It'd be more like one or two dozen places at most, not just separately with thousands online, though I guess those who couldn't make it to an event might like that. Live-Aid was held in London, Philadelphia, Tokyo(?), etc., but they could watch concerts/events happening in the other places.

Of course, the online idea presents other/additional possibilities, so I'm not trying to discourage it.

Edited for typo

Edited by Teach2Learn

Personally, I like the idea of a genuinely international event that travels around the world. I appreciate it would be expensive and of course, not everyone would be able to attend every event, but I think it would be a nice idea and could include some of the smaller caching nations. For example, one held in Europe might NOT be held in the UK or Germany, but could be held somewhere like France or Spain where caching isn't so popular, similarly, the "North American" one could be held in Mexico say. Perhaps if it was genuinely international and only happened every two or three years (and maybe was sponsered by Groundspeak) it would encourage some less dominant caching nations.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't be that inclusive as cost would be prohibitive for many, so maybe the idea of holding simultaneous events would be better. Speaking as a European, we often feel that caching is very US centric (see all the Green Jeeps threads etc...), so it would be nice to feel there was an event that really involved people internationally.

Bambi.

Allthough the idea is a great one i might point out that most events are always free to visit by anyone over the globe. However, i do organize an event yearly with over 300 visitors, we mostly have only cachers from 2 or maybe 3 countries at the event.

If this is to work then it should be setup in a large way, something like lasting a week or a few days, something like on campinggrounds and for sure in coöperation with the many local geocaching organizations.

As well it should be eary announced i mean like a year ahead. Many people will have to come from very far and therefor wil have to plan the trip and maybe even will have to raise the money to attend it.

I sure would love to visit such an event and even would participate in organizing it, as said i have a little experience in it. But i think it might be a hell of a job since, other then with scouts, there is not yet a large union in the local geocaching organizations.

Kapitein Haak

Netherlands

Exhibit reveals the many TREASURES OF NOAA'S ARK

A National Legacy.

I think NOAA is GLOBAL now.

I also think there are partner countries.

Yes I think A big event would be cool.

Maybe we could coorealate it through NOAA Imagery and GPS coordinations.

I have been researching and will send out some questions in the morning to NGS(NOAA).

I think we may be able to use or have some BIG events marks set with coordinates from NGS.

It could,I say could become permanent type places for events or meetings/caches....

This all being approved by TPTB.

I think it would be an astronomical feat to do but with geocachers being world wide we could pull it off.

I do not have the details on this and will post when I know more of what GLOBAL coverage is.

How far they expand want to.etc,etc.

How many countries we have....w/geocachers willing to get involved.

You know all them big questions of commitment etc.

An international event would be most welcome. Some of the biggest things to consider are timing, location, cooperation and finances.

Location: I feel that a European event would be great and should be in either Holland or Germany with an international airport close by. Since these are the largest two caching communities, it starts local with a strong attendee base and moves outwards from there.

Cooperation: Bringing in organizations from 4-5 different countries would be beneficial in getting locals from each area to attend. Maybe have a regional events to promote the single one.

Timing: The timing would have to be such that people would be able to get time off to travel. And at least a year ahead of time dates should be finalized.

Cost\Finances: There are many ways to reduce the costs of a single large event, geocoins, sponsors and travel deals being three ways. Traveling to Europe for most Americans if often CHEAPER than traveling around the US. An option for marketing and financing an event could be 7 smaller events in 7 countries (Belguim, Holland, France, Germany, England, Czech Republic, Italy) that promote the one event and raise some funds through t-shirts, coins or raffles.

Getting a planning committee going would be a first step.

GeoEuro 2007, Euro Geofest 2007, EuroCache 2007? :rolleyes:

Just some thoughts.

An international event would be most welcome. Some of the biggest things to consider are timing, location, cooperation and finances.

Location: I feel that a European event would be great and should be in either Holland or Germany with an international airport close by. Since these are the largest two caching communities, it starts local with a strong attendee base and moves outwards from there.

Cooperation: Bringing in organizations from 4-5 different countries would be beneficial in getting locals from each area to attend. Maybe have a regional events to promote the single one.

Timing: The timing would have to be such that people would be able to get time off to travel. And at least a year ahead of time dates should be finalized.

Cost\Finances: There are many ways to reduce the costs of a single large event, geocoins, sponsors and travel deals being three ways. Traveling to Europe for most Americans if often CHEAPER than traveling around the US. An option for marketing and financing an event could be 7 smaller events in 7 countries (Belguim, Holland, France, Germany, England, Czech Republic, Italy) that promote the one event and raise some funds through t-shirts, coins or raffles.

Getting a planning committee going would be a first step.

GeoEuro 2007, Euro Geofest 2007, EuroCache 2007? :rolleyes:

Just some thoughts.

I like the german idea - they speak good english B) !

We are planning a german excursion sometime anyway - there are some super caches we'd love to do!

18 months planning ought to do it if you start now for late summer/fall 2008 - suggest you do not pick high season muggles :( Spread it over a few days .... and don't worry too much about the fundraising thing - the games is what it's all about - choose a fre venue and we can BYO sandwiches. Swapping SWAG or ready filled caches/letterboxes might be fun

Billeting for a day or two arranged ahead of time with local cachers anyone?