How Waterproof Is A 60csx?

I have read the manual and am confused as to how waterproof the 60CSX is. It says it can stand being submersed to 1 meter but then needs drying out before use.

Can I use it light or heavy rain without a problem for example?

Could water get into the battery compartment and wet the microSD card?

The battery compartment has a rubber o-ring-type seal that should prevent any moisture from getting into the battery compartment.

As far as overall waterproofness goes?...well, personally I wouldn't test that 1 meter claim but I would use it in mild rain with no fears.

There is no such thing as "waterproof". Many electronics items have a "waterproof rating" which is based on "temporarily" submerging the object at a certain depth for a given amount of time. While this may be an indication of how well the unit is initially sealed, it's no guarantee your particular unit will survive a soaking. The Garmin units have many seals... battery compartment, lcd lens, all the buttons etc. It only takes one of these seals to have been "pinched" when originally manufactured, or moved out of position though wear for the unit to "take on water". I have used my 60CS and a "waterproof" camera in "light" rain with no ill effects. I know several people who have lost cameras when using in only light rain, and several who have never had a problem, constantly using them exposed to light rain.

As I use my GPS a lot and the buttons have probably seen "significant" usage, I now carry an "aquapak" water proof bag ($8.00) that just fits the GPS, allows access to pushing buttons, and doesn't affect the reception at all. I have used these bags for years and never had the slightest leak, so their reliability gets a pretty high rating from me. The unit in the aqua pak floats very well as I found out when I saw it trailing behind my Kayak on its lanyard. The pack can be folded and stuffed in a pocket when it's not required.

It is not a problem to use in in the rain and you'd be fine if you dropped it into a puddle and pulled it right out.

For use where there is the possibility of it being submerged or exposed to sea water, I'd do liek stevesisti and keep it in something waterproof.

I've used my 60cs and now my 60csx in all kinds of weather for 2 years and have never had a problem with water.

I have read the manual and am confused as to how waterproof the 60CSX is. It says it can stand being submersed to 1 meter but then needs drying out before use.

Can I use it light or heavy rain without a problem for example?

I'd say that the wise thing to do would be that if the unit were to get wet for any reason, to let it dry out before use. :wub::unsure::wub:

I seem to remember that when the SporTrak Pro first came out an enterprising owner decided to test its ability by holding under water for a couple of minutes. When he was done and it no longer worked he tried to get it replaced under warranty. I don't remember what the results were, but I would think that it would be a lot smarter to put your GPS in a waterproof container and not push your luck.

:unsure:

It was under warranty so I tested it.

Words to live by :mad:

I tested my 60cx with some old lithium batterys to see if it would float(regular aa's it sinks like a stone) and sure enough with the lithiums it does float. just make sure you drain the lithiums before using them in the 60cx because new there voltage is too high.