Travel Bug Hijacking

Moonsovrbend

Is it just me or does it bother other people when our TBs are picked up and kept for three months or for ever by some other geocacher?

Is it appropreate to email the holder of our TBs after three months? As for me- i think it is rude for people to pick up TBs and hold them for too long

Edited by Moonsovrbend

If your TB is being held by someone for 3 months, I see no reason not to send a friendly email inquiring as to when they can move it along. Perhaps they actually dropped it off and forgot to log the drop. Maybe they have been unable to cache recently for whatever reason.

Is it just me or does it bother other people when our TBs are picked up and kept for three months or for ever by some other geocacher?

Is it appropreate to email the holder of our TBs after three months? As for me- i think it is rude for people to pick up TBs and hold them for too long

I think its fine to send an e-mail asking about it. I'll admit that there's been one or two I've held onto for longer then I'd liked to of. I make a habit of e-mailing the owner myself after a certain amount of time to let them know what's going on and when I plan to move it along. I always get a reply stating they usually don't get e-mails like that and thanking me for letting them know.

One strategy you can use to keep from keeping TBs for too long is to identify a nearby, local cache to use as a "quick TB drop off" point. Just make sure it's 1) easy to get to and 2) is big enough for TBs. Ideally, something that you can almost drive right up to if necessary, or perhaps just a short walk. That way, if you feel guilty for holding onto to it too long, you can just pop by your "TB drop off point" and put it back into circulation. If you don't have one like that nearby, you can always create one of your own. It would also be a convenient place to launch your freshly minted travel bugs. :wub:

While it's nice to help a TB on its mission, I would say that simply moving it to another random cache is certainly preferable to taking it out of circulation for 3 or 4 months.

Just my 2 cents,

Matt

what a find for my first ever Geocash. Thats right I came across a travel bug. I can not wait untill I go down to my mothers and drop it off. By me doing that it will be moving from one end of maine to the other. I should be going down next week. If not then, soon I hope.

Right now, no, I haven't thought about re-releasing it. My g/f and I have been out of caching for awhile. She's fighting cancer and the last trip we made (a few years ago) she almost couldn't hike out of the woods. I've kind of stopped all caching.

Right now, no, I haven't thought about re-releasing it. My g/f and I have been out of caching for awhile. She's fighting cancer and the last trip we made (a few years ago) she almost couldn't hike out of the woods. I've kind of stopped all caching.

Hmmm….Maybe a similar problem has prevented M&J SouthsideRiders from caching.

Just a thought. Emailing them would be the best thing to do. And be patient.

Best wishes for the g/f.

Sent you an email.