Okay, I Need More Help Here . . .

Forgive me, but this Waymarking thing is really driving me nuts. :wub:

First, I assumed something I found would already be listed on Waymarking since the Site has been up and running for a while . . . but, no, my object has not been "Waymarked" and does not fit any existing sub-category. :wub:

So, I created a Group, "Ancient Evidence." I got three Premium Members to join, and promoted them to Officers. I also have another Regular Member.

I assumed at this point I could put my Group in a Category and then submit my Waymark.

But . . . I can't figure out how to do that. What am I missing? :wub: Why is this so hard? :wub:

Miragee -

I don't remember how the process went exactly right now, but here are the instructions. At your point, you should be in step 2. Go to MY PAGE, then MY GROUPS, and click on your new group. It should announce that you have completed the step of promoting officers. They must have accepted their officership, as I recall.

Then you must make your category - the description, the Waymarking and logging rules, and the variables.

Well, that isn't very clear. . . I thought History/Culture is a Category. I thought "Ancient Evidence" would be a sub-category under that, so I chose the option to not Manage a Category.

So, if I chose that I want to "Manage a Category," and I name it "Ancient Evidence," what is my answer for the next question:

Waymark Category simplified url name (one word, no spaces, optional):

What should the "Singular name (lowercase, unless a proper noun):" be?

What should the " Plural name (lowercase, unless proper noun):" be?

What would I use for "Tags."

All these questions might be moot at this point because the form keeps refreshing when I try to choose a sub-category. I use the Opera browser, but the form is behaving that way with Firefox also . . . :wub:

Miragee -

We cannot make sub-categories. Only Groundspeak can do that. We can only make categories. I suggest you choose for your group: manage a category.

The only other option is a sort of virtual sub-category. I have done that with the US Benchmarks category. A variable is used to distinguish the virtual sub-categories. As yet, there's no search-by-variable mode, so making a virtual sub-category is somewhat of a future placeholder. An example would be, under an Ancient Evidence category, a variable called Type of Evidence, and one type is "grinding holes", and another type might be "burial mounds". Whether or not to have such a virtual sub-category is entirely up to the managing group of the category.

The singular and plural noun questions are for the system to have a word to use in some of its automatic language such as when it wants to say:

"Add New ancient evidence Waymark" or "Yes, ancient evidence has been approved" or "Most Recent 500 ancient evidences Created". It just wants you to tell it how to make a singular and plural short version of your category's name. :wub: Being just two words, your proposed name is short already, so just use it; I think the program allows more than one word, but I can't remember.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Well, that isn't very clear. . . I thought History/Culture is a Category. I thought "Ancient Evidence" would be a sub-category under that, so I chose the option to not Manage a Category.

So, if I chose that I want to "Manage a Category," and I name it "Ancient Evidence," what is my answer for the next question:

Waymark Category simplified url name (one word, no spaces, optional):

What should the "Singular name (lowercase, unless a proper noun):" be?

What should the " Plural name (lowercase, unless proper noun):" be?

What would I use for "Tags."

All these questions might be moot at this point because the form keeps refreshing when I try to choose a sub-category. I use the Opera browser, but the form is behaving that way with Firefox also . . . :wub:

Sorry you're having some trouble Miragee. One thing that might help is to click the little q.gif button next to each of the form selections for more information on a specific field. They're found in other locations on the site, as well, so keep your eyes peeled.