Event Cache

rjf481

I never been to an event cach so far. I have noticed that after the event the cach stay's active so other cachers can still visit the location. Many times there are lots of TB. I also noticed that cacher 's visit the location and log all of the TB's or coins as (discovered it). Is it wrong to pick up these TB or coins? (this is if you did not attend the event. But the cach is still active.)

Thanks for any correct information..

Happy Caching......

RJF481 :)

I never been to an event cach so far. I have noticed that after the event the cach stay's active so other cachers can still visit the location. Many times there are lots of TB. I also noticed that cacher 's visit the location and log all of the TB's or coins as (discovered it). Is it wrong to pick up these TB or coins? (this is if you did not attend the event. But the cach is still active.)

Thanks for any correct information..

Happy Caching......

RJF481 :)

Aw heck, just do whatever ya want. Log the event, tb's or any other cache you darn well please... that's the whole point of this 'game'... everyone plays by different rules and you just play however you please. {sarcasm switch OFF}

Ok seriously now.

Event 'caches' are not really 'caches' in the technical sense. They are really geocaching social events, where cachers come to meet, chat, eat, drink, etc, etc. Often people bring Travel Bugs, and Geocoins to the events. These are most often logged into the event, dropped in a big box at the event and if you take one with you then you log it out of the event and move it to another cache as normal. Sometimes, cachers will bring their personal Geocoin collections to events to SHOW fellow cachers. You can log that you've Discovered the coin but won't actually be taking it home from the event.

It would be poor etiquette, in my opinion, to log; that you attended an event when you did not, or to log any TB's or Geocoins that may have been at the event if you did not attend or actually see those coins while you were there.

{sarcasm ON} But like I said above, heck just do what ever you darn well please. Heck you're just playing the game the way you want.. go ahead and log EVERY cache, TB, & geocoin on the GC.com site... afterall... it's not 'hurting' anyone. :)

~sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong

I attended my first event in February, and it was great to meet other cachers and discuss various aspects of the sport. I noticed you're in WI and that there are 4 event caches planned for July. I have no idea how close you are to them, but you may want to check them out! :)

7/4/2006 July 4th Geo Party at Harrington Beach by EnergySaver

7/13/2006 Perplexed Puzzle Cachers Unite!! by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu

7/14/2006 Ice Cream on the Lake by The Cheeseheads

7/29/2006 Camp Cache-n-Jam by DarkBeforeDawn

:wub: To further complicate things, let me mention that after an event there is often a cache placed with the same name as the event. This is a phsyical cache. For example. After the "Southeast Midwest Hotdog sampling Caching Event" , a cache called the "Southeast Midwest Hotdog Sampling Caching Event Cache" may be placed nearby. This will have it's own cache page and you can visit it at any time and trade swag or take TBs ect., ect. Try an event, they are alot of fun. I enjoy matching faces to the names I see logged. :wub:

You've been a cacher for almost 2 years and have never been to an event? You need to get out and meet your fellow cachers and see what events are all about. :wub:

El Diablo

Well, I've never been to an event either, and don't know if I will or won't ever. I don't think anyone "needs" to go to one, or to meet other cachers.. I much prefer the serendipitous meetings that happen when out caching. Inasmuch as I already think that caching has gotten "overorganized," I fear that 'caching clubs and events will lead to greater "organization" of the sport/hobby/whatever that caching is. I know, of course, that it will never be the same as it was, but I did like it a lot better when we were much more "under the radar." That being said, I would not discourage anyone from going to an event to see what it was like, and in fact have encouraged some friends whose social proclivities propel them towards those sorts of activities...they just ain't for me.

You've been a cacher for almost 2 years and have never been to an event? You need to get out and meet your fellow cachers and see what events are all about. :unsure:
~sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong

I attended my first event in February, and it was great to meet other cachers and discuss various aspects of the sport. I noticed you're in WI and that there are 4 event caches planned for July. I have no idea how close you are to them, but you may want to check them out! :wub: ...

You know, events aren't a required part of the activity. Some people like them, others don't. I've been to a number of them and, while it was interesting to put faces with nom de plumes, I don't know that I'll go to any more of them.

The good news is that because you’re in Wisconsin you can log the event hundreds of times, once for anything and everything you find throughout the day. Find the porta-potty, log an extra attended. Find another cacher, log them. Find your car keys, another attended. If you can’t triple your find count in the first hour, you’re not trying hard enough.