Logging Ettiquite

I'm trying to figure out what the ettiquite for logging Waymarks is. Since this is different than Geocaching, should users log a waymark each time they visit? Since the page displays the date of last visit, I think it would be beneficial to log every visit. Also, if you create a waymark, should you log it as well? I looked through the forum, but haven't seen a discussion of these issues.

I'm trying to figure out what the ettiquite for logging Waymarks is. Since this is different than Geocaching, should users log a waymark each time they visit? Since the page displays the date of last visit, I think it would be beneficial to log every visit. Also, if you create a waymark, should you log it as well? I looked through the forum, but haven't seen a discussion of these issues.

In general you can and should log a waymark each time you visti particularly if have something new to add about the waymark, however I would not log a MacDonalds each time I went to have a BigMac... little would be added to the waymark by that type of logging. If all your log says that you visited with no information then I would not log again. If you post a picture which shows seasonal changes then I would log again.

Logging your own waymark is acceptable and some would say expected. When submitting a waymark you write about facts on the site being waymarked. When logging the waymark you comment on feelings or changes which have occurred.

Edited by BruceS

There is no benefit to logging the same Waymark repeatedly. Maybe for increasing numbers, but unless you are into that kind of thing, I expect most people will not bother.

In 1977 I saw "Star Wars" a total of 9 times in the theater.

You don't have to answer but... Are you impressed? Or think it sounds like something a dork would brag about?

Strangely enough, it's kinda the same thing with Waymarking. 99% of people won't care, and the other 1% are just being polite.

The difference is.. for movies we're talking about Star Wars. You show me the Waymark equivalent that is of the stature of Star Wars, and maybe (unlikely) it would be worth logging more than once.

You play the game how you like, if you enjoy Visiting the same Waymark over and over, go ahead. If you're happy, then the game is working perfectly.

:) The Blue Quasar

i would suggest the logging of your own marks, so that if it is ever archived, it will still be in your stats.

AND you do visit it to gather submition information, do you not? is this not a visit?

as for multiple logs: logging a mark multiple times does not change stats (other than 'my logs total'. the stat for that category stays the same....so when you go to the McDs the second time the only thing that changes is the # of logs on that mark, and your total # of logs. the McDs stat on your visited marks tab only increases when you log a mark for the first time....

and yes, i feel that you should only log a mark, on the site, multiple times in order to show changes at the location--as in seasonan, or in the case of war memorials, on a holiday where people have left mementos (flowers/flags) decorating for the occasion....

So long as it's called a "visit", I see no problem with visiting a waymark that you created or with entering a visited log each time you visit a waymark. I will suggest, once again, that category managers be able to select which types of logs can be entered for waymarks in a category and that if the category managers think it is approriate for their category, allow a "found" log for waymarks in the category. Unlike a visit, you could only find a waymark one time and you shouldn't be allowed to find a waymark you created.

I asked about this some time ago, and the consensus is that recording the waymark is describing the waymark, visiting the waymark is describing your visit. Thus yes, you visit your own waymark. I don't record multiple visits, although there's nothing stopping you and no angst about that topic here.

Waymarking is still new enough that you have to put some effort into defining how you're going to play the game. For example, for me, I try to *always* post a picture of myself with the waymark when I visit a waymark, mine or others. I have failed that a few times, but generally it's just how I do it. Pictures are a big part of Waymarking for me - I take and post multiples when marking, and sometimes even when visiting. Others do things differently, and I pay less attention to what they do than I do to what *I* do. What I tell others about Waymarking is that you have to spend some time figuring out what it means to you and how you want to do it.

Waymarking is a good compliment to geocaching. I suggest marking and visiting a few as you cache in an area. Each game has it's own strengths, so try combining them rather than seperating them.

Has there been anything opinion on this subject from the guys at Groundspeak? I mean its there game right? Have they set any rules up? Or is there a lack of a rule. I.E. letting the game be played in the manner you want, inside the boundaries set up by the people who own the waymarks.

Has there been anything opinion on this subject from the guys at Groundspeak? I mean its there game right? Have they set any rules up? Or is there a lack of a rule. I.E. letting the game be played in the manner you want, inside the boundaries set up by the people who own the waymarks.

Check the links on this message of from Aug 1 click here. From the links you will see the Groundspeak's opinions