Gladware

I, like many others, get tired of the micro debate popping up every 20 minutes on this forum. Ok we get it, lame micros BAD! some micros GOOD! Place better caches.

Argument done. On to the real issue degrading this sport. CRUMMY CONTAINERS! I mean C'mon people you can get an ammo can for less than 5 bucks at a surplus store and another 10 on swag to go inside and maybe another 5- 10 bucks on a FTF prize and camera or logbook and you have got yourself a dandy cache. You spend the money on all the nice toys and book and all the other stuff and then go stick it in a 30 cent plastic container?!!?!?!?!

I mean 200 dollar GPS, hiking boots, a walking stick, backpack, and who knows what else you have spent to do this game and then you chince out for a old sandwich box?

There is nothing more frustrating than walking a mile into the woods and finding a plastic container full of wet garbage. And that is what it has become, Garbage. Pony up the money folks and get a good container.

Stepping down from soap box. NEXT!

Edited by Davispak

If you own a GPS'r and live in Manhattan, you can cough up the $2.50 for a rubbermaid. Live and learn I guess. Chinese food containers NEVER survive - especially ploaced how this one is. TNLNSL. Thanks for the hunt!

Think I called this one the 'smashed cached'. It was hidden under a 20# rock. A newby put out three caches in Riverside Park in New York. Albeit, all three were great locations. He disappeared shortly thereafter. One is archived. This one will be shortly. The third container was replaced by a more competant cache hider.

IMHO GladWare isn't worth buying for any reason.

Now, these $5 ammo cans... Send me a few. I don't know anywhere local to buy them...

Chinese food containers are even worse than GladWare!

So far I've only placed one cache. It was going to be an ammo box which I got for my birthday. However, due to the regulations in Maryland State parks, I was forced to use a see-through container. It's not gladware, but it's not as sturdy as an ammo box either. I just wanted to point out that you can't always use an ammo box.

It's been over a year now and the cache is still dry. The eight to ten inches of rain we've had the last few days may have changed that, but until I dry out my basement out I won't have time to check it.

Edit: Punctuation

Edited by Trinity's Crew

My first cache hide cost me under a dollar.

I took a Tupperware container that I hadn't used in years, and looked around my apartment to find things to fill it (For those of you who are concerned, they were all new items. Luckily, I'm a bit of a packrat). The only thing that I had to buy was a notebook to use for the logbook.

Agreed, gladware is crap.

Most former food containers (especially here in Arizona!) will begin returning to the earth in less than a year.

Now if the owner were willing to replace the degrading container every 3-4 months, then...NO PROBLEM!

Usually they don't.

Here in AZ, the climate is fairly dry, so my favorite cheap container is the ubiquitous cookie tin. Less than $1 at your local thrift store, and available in many interesting shapes, sizes, and color schemes. I understand they don't hold up so well in moister climates, but around here they may still be serviceable for 2-3-4 years!

Of course, nothing beats the air-tight former military container for longevity and protection of it's contents! Even so, for some urban/sub-urban hides an 'ammo can' may prove less than desirable if the container could be found by non-cachers.

If the hider wants to use a gladware conta..... oh, wait. We're talking containers now. :)

I agree that you should use a decent container. You can get away with gladware, altoid tins, even ziploc bags (I've seen 'em used) if they are placed out of the weather. I've actually got an ammo can that the seal is missing on hidden inside of a weather proof structure. Even it would be a bad choice out in the elements.

There really isn't much that spoils a hunt more than a soggy logbook. It doesn't have to be an ammo can, but use something that weathers the elements well. I use loc-n-loc containers in areas where I can't fit an ammo can. They come in a multitude of sizes and shapes, are semi-clear, and as inexpensive as ammo cans.

Thankfully, locally the love affair with Gladware seems to be just about over. Occasionally a new one will pop up, but they're getting more and more rare. All it took was one complete cycle of seasons to convince people that these just don't work.

On another note, I think it probably drives the people at Glad nuts that this article continues to pop up in the top searches for "Gladware" on Google. :)

Bret

I, like many others, get tired of the micro debate popping up every 20 minutes on this forum. Ok we get it, lame micros BAD! some micros GOOD! Place better caches.

The other tiresome topic is the "quality of swag", "bad swag" blah blah blah. Those geocachers apparently use the activitiy as a form of shopping therapy.

Now, these $5 ammo cans... Send me a few. I don't know anywhere local to buy them...

It's all in your location I guess... I've found two local surplus stores (Houston, TX) that have started keeping good supply of ammo boxes... 30 cal for $4.70 each and 50 cal for $6.20 each. I've looked online - shipping is a killer most of the time.

-Chris

DadGreatFinder, Houston

I have a local guy here who sells ammo cans pretty cheap. I know you guys up North get hosed on things like this. I won't list the site since it would kinda be an endorsement, but if you check the web I have seen at least two surplus stores that sell ammo cans of varying sizes starting at 5 bucks a piece(shipping not included).

I will tell everyone what I did do. I went out and bought a bunch of different containers and ran an experiment. I had a loc n loc, a thermos, tupperware, and a couple of plastic food containers I had found at a storage container store. I took several sheets of toilet paper and placed them in the containers and set them in my back yard. I sprayed them everyday for a month with the water hose and I opened the containers everyday as well. I then looked at what I had. Some did not make it to the end of the 30 days, but the best container for the money? Was a screw on top thermos I had bought at a big store of the red circle. The thermos was a 1 quart container. The top screwed on and stayed dry and only cost $2.50. For the money and size it was even better than an ammo can. I have three of them out as caches and they are still nice and dry.

I have a local guy here who sells ammo cans pretty cheap. I know you guys up North get hosed on things like this. I won't list the site since it would kinda be an endorsement, but if you check the web I have seen at least two surplus stores that sell ammo cans of varying sizes starting at 5 bucks a piece(shipping not included).

I will tell everyone what I did do. I went out and bought a bunch of different containers and ran an experiment. I had a loc n loc, a thermos, tupperware, and a couple of plastic food containers I had found at a storage container store. I took several sheets of toilet paper and placed them in the containers and set them in my back yard. I sprayed them everyday for a month with the water hose and I opened the containers everyday as well. I then looked at what I had. Some did not make it to the end of the 30 days, but the best container for the money? Was a screw on top thermos I had bought at a big store of the red circle. The thermos was a 1 quart container. The top screwed on and stayed dry and only cost $2.50. For the money and size it was even better than an ammo can. I have three of them out as caches and they are still nice and dry.

Did you spray before or after opening? :)

Gladware does make a lousy container. I can see using it in limited instances. One is when a cache maggot is working an area and you don't want to sacrifice good containers. Another would be if the hiding place is totally shielded from the elements. Still, fir a little more money you can get a container that you don't have to make a maint run out to dry it out every few weeks.

I also agree with HD that the Chinese food/deli containers are even worse.

Gladware sucks period. I won't even use it for food storage, and I am a foodservice professional.

I will make one exception-when a client asks for me to prepare something for them to take to the beach/mountain/sick friend's home; and they do not have any containers of their own to provide. I know I will never see these cheap containers again, and they are likely to be tossed in the trash as a single use container (which is what they should be classified as IMPO).

next.... :wub:

On another note, I think it probably drives the people at Glad nuts that this article continues to pop up in the top searches for "Gladware" on Google. :wub:

I think the Glad people are probably happy with that article. The last thing they need is for enviromentalist to find that geocachers are leaving Gladware litter everyplace. Cities would soon be banning Gladware containers or require that they be made from more expensive biodegradable materials. :wub:

(post #1000 - I need to go geocaching some more)

Lock n locks are fine, so are other air tight, or sealable containers. What we are talking about are the cheap, 3pack plastic containers that seem to be taking over as cache containers.

They don't seal and putting all the contents in this then inside a plastic ziploc bag doth not a good cache make.

I've used gladware, and wasn't too impressed. They do get damp quickly.

I'm trying out some lock and locks now. I just spent the day putting nice stickers on them and filling them with goodies and logbooks.

Well, not the whole day, I also spray painted four ammo cans and have them drying right now. I hunted all over for a page I saw one time that had helpful hints on how to camoflauge the ammo cans, and couldn't find it. I finally just winged it. They look OK, I suppose.

Edited by Team Neos

The only decent clear containers out there are Lock N Locks in my opinion. Gladware, tupperware, etc they all get full of water and moldy about 80% of the time in my experience. I have yet to come across a wet Lock N Lock, and there are many different shapes and sizes of Lock n Locks which means if you find a spot to hide a cache, you can likely find a lock and lock that will fit in there perfectly. They've really been growing in popularity in my area recently.

I have found that the ammo cans tend to leak when they have been hit by a 12 gauge 3" magnum with #4 shot or even your standard 22 LR. Only solution I have found is a 700 lb, watertight, 1" thick, stainless steel canister, filled with dessicant, some great FTF Swag and a log book and then completely laser welded shut. It was a booger to lug out into the woods and hide but it ain't never leaked, been moved, muggled or filled with trash and it is definitely bigger than a micro. Only down side is nobody has ever been able to get into it to sign the log or claim the FTF. Well there was one person that spray painted their name on the outside but I wouldn't let them count it because it wasn't in the log book.

There that should pretty much solve all the problems with caches. :mad:

From the good old glad web site FAQ on gladware

"Given average use and care, how long can I expect a GladWare® Container to last?

While GladWare® Containers are not designed to last indefinitely, they should last for at least half a dozen uses on the average."

I guess the polypropylene just isn't prepared to spend endless months stuffed under a rock or in a stump.

BTW, some of my soggiest found caches? Gladware and 35mm film canisters.

I don't think anything makes the perfect container. With variations in temp. and humidity, even your ammo can will sweat a little.

From the good old glad web site FAQ on gladware

"Given average use and care, how long can I expect a GladWare® Container to last?

While GladWare® Containers are not designed to last indefinitely, they should last for at least half a dozen uses on the average."

I guess the polypropylene just isn't prepared to spend endless months stuffed under a rock or in a stump.

BTW, some of my soggiest found caches? Gladware and 35mm film canisters.

I don't think anything makes the perfect container. With variations in temp. and humidity, even your ammo can will sweat a little.

There's the key right there. Mid-autumn when the temperature is warn during the day and drops to freezing at night, you're pretty much simulating putting the container in the fridge, every single day. After a week, you've already used up its manufacturer-recommended life.

I have found that the ammo cans tend to leak when they have been hit by a 12 gauge 3" magnum with #4 shot or even your standard 22 LR. Only solution I have found is a 700 lb, watertight, 1" thick, stainless steel canister, filled with dessicant, some great FTF Swag and a log book and then completely laser welded shut. It was a booger to lug out into the woods and hide but it ain't never leaked, been moved, muggled or filled with trash and it is definitely bigger than a micro. Only down side is nobody has ever been able to get into it to sign the log or claim the FTF. Well there was one person that spray painted their name on the outside but I wouldn't let them count it because it wasn't in the log book.

There that should pretty much solve all the problems with caches. :(

Two words: Can Opener. :mad:

It's all in your location I guess... I've found two local surplus stores (Houston, TX) that have started keeping good supply of ammo boxes... 30 cal for $4.70 each and 50 cal for $6.20 each. I've looked online - shipping is a killer most of the time.

-Chris

DadGreatFinder, Houston

There is a store here in SC called US Patriot. They sell the 30 cal for $6.00 or $7.00 & 50 cal for $9.00 if I remember correctly.

Two issues with Lock n Locks. First, when subjected to harsh weather and repeated use, the tabs can fail. Second, while the tabs on the square Lock n Locks stay 'locked' very well, the tabs on the round ones sometimes pop open.

Pretty quick fix, don't use round lock n lock containers.

Two issues with Lock n Locks. First, when subjected to harsh weather and repeated use, the tabs can fail. Second, while the tabs on the square Lock n Locks stay 'locked' very well, the tabs on the round ones sometimes pop open.

I've never noticed a difference between round and square L&Ls. I've had good experiences with both. I do notice some variation within containers regardless of shape. Most lock nice and snugly, but once in a while I get one that doesn't seem to lock very firmly, but I've seen it with both shapes. I use those to store food.

Pretty quick fix, don't use round lock n lock containers.
It's good to see that my point wasn't lost on you.
I've never noticed a difference between round and square L&Ls. I've had good experiences with both. I do notice some variation within containers regardless of shape. Most lock nice and snugly, but once in a while I get one that doesn't seem to lock very firmly, but I've seen it with both shapes. I use those to store food.
On the set of LnLs that we bought, the square ones had pins that the tabs snapped over while the tabs only snapped over the edge of the round ones. Therefore, they weren't really locked. In fact, we couldn't get some of them to stay closed at all, so I tossed them.

Think I called this one the 'smashed cached'. It was hidden under a 20# rock. A newby put out three caches in Riverside Park in New York. Albeit, all three were great locations. He disappeared shortly thereafter. One is archived. This one will be shortly. The third container was replaced by a more competant cache hider.

See this to me is the bigger problem than gladware itself. Cachers can use all the gladware and leaky film tubes they want, but they must replace them as time goes one. If they're up to visiting every time it rains, and replacing the container a couple times a year as the old one cracks, warp, etc. then go for it. Then by the time the cache has been replaced a couple times, all the time and money spent one replacing things, could have been used on a little bit better container.

Unfortuntly what happens too often is the owner doesn't fix the problem or check the cache frequently enough, so it gets wet and stays that way. And even if some future visit does add a new dry logbook, or spend some time drying out the cache, the next time it rains the cache will be wet again.

On the set of LnLs that we bought, the square ones had pins that the tabs snapped over while the tabs only snapped over the edge of the round ones. Therefore, they weren't really locked. In fact, we couldn't get some of them to stay closed at all, so I tossed them.

I've seen a couple of different containers that people are calling Lock and Lock. At Fred Meyer's I've seen a set like sbell111 is using - but that's not the 'true' Lock and Lock. The 'real' round ones have tabs just like the square ones - and seal just as well.

You need to include SE Idaho in your next geocaching adventure. While you are here you can go to the local Surplus Army store and pick up your 30 cal ammo cans. Last time I checked they were $3.00. Oh, and the decon containers were $.95.

:mad:

That was until they started selling to cachers and went up 20 bucks :laughing:

Seriously though.

I think the cache maintenance is an issue as well. The people who put out Gladware probably don't visit the caches they make very often or if at all.

I think we need to make it CACHE LAW: no Gladware containers :(

I've seen a couple of different containers that people are calling Lock and Lock. At Fred Meyer's I've seen a set like sbell111 is using - but that's not the 'true' Lock and Lock. The 'real' round ones have tabs just like the square ones - and seal just as well.

All real Lock 'n Locks have the pins that the tabs snap on to, regardless of shape. I've seen the same knock offs that have the tab that snaps over the edge that Sbell111 describes. I have a few of them and I agree with Sbell111 that they aren't as secure as Lock 'n Locks. They are sold in my grocery stores under the "Lock & Locker" and "Snap & Lock" brand names. Not the same thing as "Lock 'n Lock" though.