Caches Along A Route Link

ByrnedFish

It's not working for me. If I put in my zip code and Birminghams, it gives me the route from Birmingham to Memphis...I live in Dothan.

If I type in Dothan, AL and Atlanta, GA, it gives me Atlanta to Clearwater, FL and says the last leg of the trip is from Bloomington, IN.

I would say some bugs need to be worked out. It is looking hopeful though.

It's not working for me. If I put in my zip code and Birminghams, it gives me the route from Birmingham to Memphis...I live in Dothan.

If I type in Dothan, AL and Atlanta, GA, it gives me Atlanta to Clearwater, FL and says the last leg of the trip is from Bloomington, IN.

I would say some bugs need to be worked out. It is looking hopeful though.

If the route you want does not exist, you need to add it to the database, or ask someone else to upload it if you don't know how. It is a brand new feature so there are not a lot of routes to choose from.... yet.

Very cool! Thank-you very much. I really like this feature. Just in time for the 4th of July too!

One question... I created a route (from slc to st george utah). I made that route public. It shows in my list of routes. If I delete that route from my account webpage of listed routes does that also remove it from the availabilty of the public or is my original route now saved on the servers for others to still enjoy even if I delete it from my page?

It worked great for my trip Hartford, CT - Binghamton, NY - Cattaraugus, NY - Niagara Falls, NY - Binghamton, NY - Stamford, CT - Hartford, CT.

It only took about 15 minutes total to set it up (including learning how). It would have taken me days to do it the old way.

This is definitely a very cool and useful feature! With a trip this weekend from western NC to central IL I was able to split the 600+ mile trip into two files.

Just make sure you read and follow the directions! You have to plot a route using Google Earth first, then you upload the .kml file, then you save it, the you create a Pocket Query. It takes a little getting used to, but will save countless hours!!

Feature Request (already...)

Would it be useful to see a person's public routes the way we see bookmark lists?

Probably harder to show on the cache page which route they belong to.

Or maybe it is not even needed :wub: I like how I can search on other routes.

This option will make it much nicer to create hikes even as the kml does not have to be street destinations. (does it) :wub:

First off, I love the new feature. I am, however, having a problem. The problem is with GE. Perhaps someone has figured out how to do this. I want to make a route using GE that does not end at a city. This particular one ends at Grand Canyon Village on the South Rim. GE does not recognize that as a proper destination. I tried putting in one of GE's pushpins and naming it Grand Canyon Village and that did not help. I right clicked on the push pin and asked for directions to here. That did not work. I am using what I think is the latest Mac beta version of GE. (4.0.1563 (beta)) I'm not sure what else to try at this point. Can anybody help?

I tried putting in one of GE's pushpins and naming it Grand Canyon Village and that did not help. I right clicked on the push pin and asked for directions to here. That did not work.

I think you are on the right track. I created a route that used a pushpin at both ends of the route I wanted (border to border). I had to go to the other end of the route and right click then select directions from here in addition to the direction to here. This gave GE the start and end points and calculated the distance for me. I am not using the beta version however and this may or may not work for you. Hope it helps though.

I set up two routes last night for a planned trip and thought it went smoothly. However they have not been sent to my e-mail address. Any suggestions? I loaded the google routes as directed and requested the pocket query but nothing so far.

I tried putting in one of GE's pushpins and naming it Grand Canyon Village and that did not help. I right clicked on the push pin and asked for directions to here. That did not work.

I think you are on the right track. I created a route that used a pushpin at both ends of the route I wanted (border to border). I had to go to the other end of the route and right click then select directions from here in addition to the direction to here. This gave GE the start and end points and calculated the distance for me. I am not using the beta version however and this may or may not work for you. Hope it helps though.

Since the starting point was a recognized city in GE, I did go to that point and put that in as the starting point. When I asked for directions, I got a message stating that no results were found. I put the starting point in as a right click not just listing the city. By the way, the route I want starts at Flagstaff. Did it actually get you a route that you could get the kml file for? If so, could you upload that for me? This is not a huge priority at this time as I will not be making that trip for about two months. In the meantime I shall try it again and see what happens.

Edit to note that this worked. I put in the pushpin at Flagstaff and was able to get directions from that pushpin to the one I also placed at Grand Canyon Village. As far as I can tell, you have to have pushpins at both ends, but that may require further checking.

Edited by WeightMan