Garmin 60csx Vs. 76csx

taetop

There is a $100 rebate on the Garmin 76csx. That will make it cheaper than the 60csx, which I understand is the one to get for geocaching? Will I need to buy additional software? Any help is appreciated! Looking forward to "treasure hunting" in upstate S.C.

The with the 60csx now having expandable memory the only couple of differences are the 76 floats, and of course the form factor (buttons on top).

I would go to a store that carries both models and see which one you like better.

As far as additional software goes you don't NEED to purchase anything, but the base map is pretty limited so you may want to invest in a set of maps. City Nav, or Topo depending on if you want autorouting, street address finding, etc.

kgag.

Edited by kgag
There is a $100 rebate on the Garmin 76csx. That will make it cheaper than the 60csx, which I understand is the one to get for geocaching? Will I need to buy additional software? Any help is appreciated! Looking forward to "treasure hunting" in upstate S.C.

Like the poster above said, check out how they fit your hand and such. I have the 76CSx and love it. Folks say it's too big but it fits my hand just fine and I like the buttons on the top. It's a matter of taste and usage style. Either of those two will be excellent for geocaching. It just depends on what you want. As for maps, I love having the maps for routing and use them whenever I go out of town and even for navigating to caches - although sometimes the closest autoroute to a cache places you in someone's driveway and the cache is on a trail or in a field behind their house and you can't get there from where you were routed. :) You have to apply common sense. With the maps I like being able to enter an address such as 10597 Commercial Way and the city and state and have the thing drive me there. It gets me around unfamiliar places.

There is a $100 rebate on the Garmin 76csx. That will make it cheaper than the 60csx, which I understand is the one to get for geocaching?[/b]

Features-wise, the 60 and 76 x models are virtually identical. I went for the 60CSx for its more compact size, but my 76C worked just as well for caching as my friend's 60C. They even use the same software/firmware.

The 60 is more convenient for 'caching in that you can attach it to a belt of sternum strap via a belt clip. With the 76, you'd have to carry it in a pouch or some other kind of container. The 60 fits into a greater variety of pouches, too. Whether these differences are worth $100 to you, I can't say.

Will I need to buy additional software? Any help is appreciated! Looking forward to "treasure hunting" in upstate S.C.

Ideally you should have Mapsource with CitySelect as an absolute minimum. If you do a lot of hiking or other back country activities, then the topo maps would also be a good idea. Having these additional map products greatly magnifies the utility of these units. When planning on where to go for the weekend, I oftentimes scroll around Mapsource, viewing the caches and where they are located in my city and its environs.

...lars

The 60 is more convenient for 'caching in that you can attach it to a belt of sternum strap via a belt clip. With the 76, you'd have to carry it in a pouch or some other kind of container. The 60 fits into a greater variety of pouches, too. Whether these differences are worth $100 to you, I can't say.

76CSX has a Lanyard attach point in the base and comes with a wrist strap, or you can add a neck lanyard and wear it round the neck .. I do that now after dropping it twice :wub::wub:

At least I proved its a robust unit :wub:

Like was said above, they are essentially the same except for form. The 76 will have a bigger memeory card. They use the same software (I use Mapsource Topo and City Select on my older GPS but I'd use that on a 76 as well if I had one).

You don't need more software but it helps.

76CSX has a Lanyard attach point in the base and comes with a wrist strap, or you can add a neck lanyard and wear it round the neck .. I do that now after dropping it twice :wub::wub:

Yes, I know that but hanging it by its lanyard means that it is swinging around while walking. Very annoying, at least to me. I always carried mine in a pouch if I wanted it to be quickly accessible.

BTW, no matter what you buy, put a screen protector on it ASAP! All my GPS units had scratched screens. I finally wised up and put one on my 60CSx shortly after I bought it.

GeoBC