Iway 100m

I just picked up the lowrance iway 100m mainly in hopes of geocaching, but also to use for driving, various trips, etc. I was just curious to see if anyone else was using the unit for geocaching, and any tips, tricks, hints, or problems they have had with it while using it for such a purpose. The lack of the compass rose is a bit concerning, so how do you geocaching without that (I am still kinda new to this geocaching thing and have only been out once with a low end garmin). Dont you kinda need it to tell you which direction to go and how far you have to go to get there?

I just picked up the lowrance iway 100m mainly in hopes of geocaching, but also to use for driving, various trips, etc. I was just curious to see if anyone else was using the unit for geocaching, and any tips, tricks, hints, or problems they have had with it while using it for such a purpose. The lack of the compass rose is a bit concerning, so how do you geocaching without that (I am still kinda new to this geocaching thing and have only been out once with a low end garmin). Dont you kinda need it to tell you which direction to go and how far you have to go to get there?

Set the map screen up customized with the altitude, ground speed and EPE at the bottom.

Set true north to top of screen.

Set a waypoint at the coords you are hunting into the unit.

You are at the arrow (triangle) in the center of the screen. Walk the arrow onto the cache (waypoint), zooming in until you get down to the .02 mile range. If your EPE is less than 30 feet you should be good, but watch for the ground speed to be jumpy or the altitude to jump more than 10 feet up and down. If the speed and altitude are stable, the EPE is not so important. It could be 300 feet and you can still be dead on the numbers. Lowrance uses a very conservative algorhytm to calculate EPE. If it's all stable then when the arrow shows you on top of the waypoint you are in all probability within ten feet of it if the hider's numbers were good.

It's just that simple. No need for the go to pointer.