New Category

I'm not to familiar with Waymarking and actually didn't know it existed until we got back from Italy and I wanted to post some virtual caches. We did a few hikes to some archeological sites in Sardegna and wanted to post them to Waymarking but don't seem to find a category that actually fits. I'd appreciate any and all help! thanks

Listing archaeological sites is a double edged sword. It would make it so that people could enjoy them who would not otherwise know about them and at the same time make it so that people could destroy and vandalize them who would otherwise have left them alone.

The current thinking of the US government is to keep them all a secret so that nobody can enjoy them for what they are and nobody can destroy them. This way they will all be lost to urban development and inadvertant things that happen just because we live and recreate on this planet. That's a slightly scarcastic spin but the point is valid.

I'm in agreement that the Waymarking catagory should exist though the term Archaeological site is broad and there is a lot of room for smaller catagories that give more versatility in general to the larger concept.

I just started a new Group that I think will go under the Culture category, since it is like the Pictographs group.

It is called "Ancient Evidence."

It is going to be for Bedrock Mortars and other ancient evidence of Native Americans, such as mentioned in this Geocache log.

As that person states, "Remember: All Indian sites are protected by State and Federal Law."

I'm sure Archaeological sites are also protected by law . . . although that doesn't prevent law breakers from doing the wrong thing. :) But, Waymarkers don't fit into that category, do they. :)

I'm not to familiar with Waymarking and actually didn't know it existed until we got back from Italy and I wanted to post some virtual caches. We did a few hikes to some archeological sites in Sardegna and wanted to post them to Waymarking but don't seem to find a category that actually fits. I'd appreciate any and all help! thanks

Give us a brief description and maybe we can identify a category for them. If not, then perhaps you or someone else would be interested in creating one or more categories for them.

The sites we visited were all related to the nuraghe civilization in Sardegna. They are all sites that you have to search out as they are not just by the roadside. One site was not even discovered it was so well concealed unti the 1930s and the nuraghe village was thought to have hidden its inhabitants from the Romans invaded Sardegna. The name of this site is Tiscali.

We also visited a nuraghe village one of the few villages found in which upwards of 100 nuraghe remains are found.

We visited the Tombe of the Gigantica - which originally was thought to me a giants tomb but through research they have found that it is the burial chamber of nearby nuraghe villages. Of note is that there are large limestones stones (megalithes) that normally form a semi circle near the entrance.

Also there is a temple named Malchittu that was thought to be a temple of worship for the rain gods in nuraghe time

We used to live in Sardegna and of course were looking for caches near where we would be (didn't know about Waymarking when we went) and made sure to mark these spots and pick up descriptions and history of them thinking to make them virtual caches and then as I wrote one up and didn't have the choice of the virtual cache started exploring Waymarking.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Two of the sites are easily accessible and one of the sites requires a short hike and Tiscali requires a much longer hike but the reward is much greater. thanks!

The sites we visited were all related to the nuraghe civilization in Sardegna. They are all sites that you have to search out as they are not just by the roadside. One site was not even discovered it was so well concealed unti the 1930s and the nuraghe village was thought to have hidden its inhabitants from the Romans invaded Sardegna. The name of this site is Tiscali.

We also visited a nuraghe village one of the few villages found in which upwards of 100 nuraghe remains are found.

We visited the Tombe of the Gigantica - which originally was thought to me a giants tomb but through research they have found that it is the burial chamber of nearby nuraghe villages. Of note is that there are large limestones stones (megalithes) that normally form a semi circle near the entrance.

Also there is a temple named Malchittu that was thought to be a temple of worship for the rain gods in nuraghe time

We used to live in Sardegna and of course were looking for caches near where we would be (didn't know about Waymarking when we went) and made sure to mark these spots and pick up descriptions and history of them thinking to make them virtual caches and then as I wrote one up and didn't have the choice of the virtual cache started exploring Waymarking.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Two of the sites are easily accessible and one of the sites requires a short hike and Tiscali requires a much longer hike but the reward is much greater. thanks!

The Tombe of Gigantica would be able to be listed in the Megalithic Monuments category. From the other sites you listed I am not sure "Su Nuraxi di Barumini" is one of them. If so then it could be listed World Heritage Sites category. See Su Nuraxi di Barumini World Heritage Site