Question Re: Adopting A Cache?

Hey all,

I know of a cache nearby me, the owner (says in the listing) that he's from out of the state and won't be able to maintain or check on it - he *may* be in the area once a year if that. He asks that if something happens to it to contact him so he can disable it.

So, rather than having to disable it, I thought if I can help or adopt it... right?

I tried emailing him through GS.com, but the email comes back as undeliverable - I wanted to ask him if he needed help with maintaining the cache, that I'd be willing to help.

With me not being able to email him, and wanting to help out - it's a cool cache and a lot of people like it, how would I go about adopting it then?

Thanks for the help.

:ph34r:

Hey all,

I know of a cache nearby me, the owner (says in the listing) that he's from out of the state and won't be able to maintain or check on it - he *may* be in the area once a year if that. He asks that if something happens to it to contact him so he can disable it.

So, rather than having to disable it, I thought if I can help or adopt it... right?

I tried emailing him through GS.com, but the email comes back as undeliverable - I wanted to ask him if he needed help with maintaining the cache, that I'd be willing to help.

With me not being able to email him, and wanting to help out - it's a cool cache and a lot of people like it, how would I go about adopting it then?

Thanks for the help.

:ph34r:

I had one just like this near me. I put in an adoption request April 27 to the reviewer. It left his hand and went to higher ups and still no word back....

But I would suggest emailing your reviewer first with the situation and go from there. And be patient :ph34r:

If you can't officially adopt it, how about simply being a guardian angel? Drop by the cache every now and then, see if it needs new log book, etc. Don't do anything to change the location or intended spirit of the cache, but try to keep it up and running and not an eyesore.

Opinions from cache owners? My own is that if somebody visited my cache and did a simple step to improve its condition, I'd be grateful. If they moved it or changed it in a more major way, I'd probably not be so happy.

(And here I'd like to say a public Thanks to anyone who ever left a pen or pencil in my caches when the original ones went missing!) [:)]

cachephrase