Garmins Webupdate

Garmin seems to have complicated the process of keeping current software on their units. In the "olden" days, one could look at their "what's new" website, or subscribe to a mailing list when new software was available. However, there are now two versions of software that need to be kept current: the "software" plus the "GPS software". The only way to update the GPS software is with the webupdater. As far as I know, the only way to determine if new GPS software is available is to connect and see.

Am I missing something? Is there no other way to determine when new GPS software becomes available?

Garmin seems to have complicated the process of keeping current software on their units. In the "olden" days, one could look at their "what's new" website, or subscribe to a mailing list when new software was available. However, there are now two versions of software that need to be kept current: the "software" plus the "GPS software". The only way to update the GPS software is with the webupdater. As far as I know, the only way to determine if new GPS software is available is to connect and see.

Am I missing something? Is there no other way to determine when new GPS software becomes available?

I think your correct. I just run the webupdater just before I'm going to upload waypoints, that way if there is an update I have it before I go anywhere.

I have noticed a few times that the WebUpdater tool doesn't always grab new updates. So, I don't use it anymore. From their page that directs you to download it, there a link to the effect of "Display available updates." From that page, you can see all updates available for your unit, and manually download and execute if desired.

"So, I don't use it anymore". Unfortunately, that means you will never get the latest GPS software. For example, version 2.60 of GPS software for the X units came out this week that had a significant impact on the ability to receive WAAS signals. The only way to get this was via the webupdater.

"So, I don't use it anymore". Unfortunately, that means you will never get the latest GPS software. For example, version 2.60 of GPS software for the X units came out this week that had a significant impact on the ability to receive WAAS signals. The only way to get this was via the webupdater.

You don't need the latest Webupdater to get the latest GPS software update. At least that is what one of the boxes told me as I was getting ready to update Webupdater.

You do need the webupdater. That is the only way to get the most current GPS unit software. There are two softwares: (1) the GPS unit software, and (2) the "other" software. My 60x has version 2.60 of the unit software, and version 2.90 of the operating software. It is possible to download version 2.90, but the unit software can only be acquired via webupdater.

If you know otherwise, please let me know.

That email is only for the operating software updates. It does not notify about unit software updates. Unit software updates are ONLY available via the webupdater.

This is actually quite confusing so hopefully they find a way to include both in the firmware download. The easiest way to understand this is to check what software your 60csx is running. You can check the unit software from: main menu, setup, system, hit menu key, select software version.

As you can see in the included photo there is the software version 2.90(firmware), and a GPS SW version 2.60(for the sirfIII chip?). what the deal is you can't get the GPS SW version updated to 2.60 without garmin's webupdater. The download from garmin's website is just the unit firmware 2.90, and if you setup the notification of updates from garmin, the unit firmware is all they tell you about. so as you can see this is kinda confusing.

softwareversion5od.png

Morbid curiosity more than anything else, but does anyone know when Garmin went from a single firmware package to this new Software/GPS Software dual upgrade system? Is it Sirf, nothing but the Sirf, so help me Sirf?

I think your right, there was only one firmware unitl they put the new sirf chip in the 60/76x models. I don't believe that the legend Cx/vista CX has this setup(no sirf chip).

That email is only for the operating software updates. It does not notify about unit software updates. Unit software updates are ONLY available via the webupdater.

Hmmm, are you sure about that? garmin does give you the option to grab it manually as well as use the updater (following copied from 60csx software update page):

*Update Unit Software with WebUpdater

Use WebUpdater to automatically keep your operating software current.

*Additional Software

GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.60 as of Jun 29, 2006 Download

USB Drivers Ver. 2.1 as of Aug 26, 2004 Download

xImage Ver. 2.3 as of Mar 23, 2005 Download

*Unit Software

GPSMAP 60CSx Ver. 2.90 as of Jun 01, 2006 Download

There has to be another way to do this - the webupdater does not work in all cases. I have a 3005c chartplotter and it requires the usb card programmer and blank card to get updates and then upload them to the 3005c. Because the 3005c does not directly hook up to my pc, webupdater (or marine updater) never see this device so their functionality becomes irrelevant and useless - webupdater cannot determine which gps I wish to update. Direct access to the update is the only way this will work for this unit.

Edited by Vlad

This must be a fairly new change, since when I downloaded the version 2.90 unit software a week or so ago there was no separate option to download the GPS software.

Now when you choose either of them you can subscribe to a mailing list and be notifyed of updates to both packages.

ProsperoDK/René

This must be a fairly new change, since when I downloaded the version 2.90 unit software a week or so ago there was no separate option to download the GPS software.

Now when you choose either of them you can subscribe to a mailing list and be notifyed of updates to both packages.

ProsperoDK/René

yes this is definatly a new thing, I looked around more than once and never noticed this. the 60cx page also has been updated. Thanks garmin!

Afternoon All

My topic is Garmin's Webupdate....this is my first post. Nice forum. I am upgrading to maps and have a 60cx in route. I will primarily use Bluecharts....I'm an island boy.

In advance of receipt I downloaded the Webupdate module from Garmin. All went well until I was installing it and got to the final screen, "choose your unit".

The window size is fixed and it appears the radio buttons for selecting the unit are cut off and not visible. Has anyone else had this issue? <Toshiba Laptop/XP/Dialup>

I removed the software, downloaded and installed a second time and same problem.

We fish the 350 foot line around St. Croix for Wahoo and I have had a difficult time with a sounder on my small boat...too much rock and roll to get a dependable sonar return. My bright idea is to use Bluechart depth lines on the CX as an approximate depth position locator. We'll see how that goes later on...

I grabbed City Nav. US at the same time. When you live on 84 sq. miles in the middle of a million miles of ocean you can use some help on the continent! I went to the states about a year ago and almost got hit by a car....really need to speed up I realized. Next time I go I'll shine my shoes, drink some coffee and fire up the CX and look out Kansas City!

Its been a while since I've updated my GPSMap 60Cx. I had firmware version 2.60 and software version 2.40.

I had to run the Webupdater twice. The first time it just updated the firmware to 2.90. I noticed my software still was listed at the 2.40 version so I ran Webupdater a second time and thats when it told me that "you've already got the latest version loaded", but it gave me a radio button to "check for futher updates......". I checked the radio button and hit Next and it loaded software version 2.60.

I noticed there was another choice to download the 2.90 firmware on the downloads page, but there wasn't an option I saw to download the software to 2.60. So it looked like the only way to update the software version was via the Webupdater.

Afternoon All

My topic is Garmin's Webupdate....this is my first post. Nice forum. I am upgrading to maps and have a 60cx in route. I will primarily use Bluecharts....I'm an island boy.

In advance of receipt I downloaded the Webupdate module from Garmin. All went well until I was installing it and got to the final screen, "choose your unit".

The window size is fixed and it appears the radio buttons for selecting the unit are cut off and not visible. Has anyone else had this issue? <Toshiba Laptop/XP/Dialup>

I removed the software, downloaded and installed a second time and same problem.

The WebUpdater software requires that your GPSr be attached to the PC when it's run. It needs to identify the model in order to know which updates apply to it. If you didn't have the GPSr attached to the PC when you ran the program (and it doesn't sound as if you did based on your posting), WebUpdater can't do its thing. If you did have the GPSr connected, you'll need to look for communications problems.

HTH!

--Larry

Hmmm, are you sure about that? garmin does give you the option to grab it manually as well as use the updater (following copied from 60csx software update page):

*Update Unit Software with WebUpdater

Use WebUpdater to automatically keep your operating software current.

*Additional Software

GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.60 as of Jun 29, 2006 Download

USB Drivers Ver. 2.1 as of Aug 26, 2004 Download

Tech support are reading us sometimes so they added it recently after reading this thread I guess.

Afternoon All

The WebUpdater software requires that your GPSr be attached to the PC when it's run. It needs to identify the model in order to know which updates apply to it. If you didn't have the GPSr attached to the PC when you ran the program (and it doesn't sound as if you did based on your posting), WebUpdater can't do its thing. If you did have the GPSr connected, you'll need to look for communications problems.

HTH!

--Larry

Its been a while since I've updated my GPSMap 60Cx. I had firmware version 2.60 and software version 2.40.

I had to run the Webupdater twice. The first time it just updated the firmware to 2.90. I noticed my software still was listed at the 2.40 version so I ran Webupdater a second time and thats when it told me that "you've already got the latest version loaded", but it gave me a radio button to "check for futher updates......". I checked the radio button and hit Next and it loaded software version 2.60.

I noticed there was another choice to download the 2.90 firmware on the downloads page, but there wasn't an option I saw to download the software to 2.60. So it looked like the only way to update the software version was via the Webupdater.

Hmmmmm :laughing:

60Cx received, Interface menu item selected, unit USB connected, screen USB (Garmain Data Format) Second Screen (Serial Data Format) ((USB??) Webupdate reloaded and installed and same situation.

Fixed Window with only a shadow of radio buttons at bottom. By clikiing on shadow I got a response but no recognition. I'm at version 2.5 and want to CLIMB HIGHER.

Any help for what may be a stupid mistake appreciated. I went to Garmin website and got referred back to auto Webupdate.....

Tom

Make that USB (Garmain Data Format)

Not Connected

Serial Data Format

Garmain

When I connect my unit via USB, the "USB (Garmin Data Format)" field says "Connected". It sure sounds like, for some reason, your unit isn't being "seen" by the program (and maybe not by Windows).

Try launching MapSource, going to the Utilities menu, and selecting "Get Unit ID...." Can MapSource detect your unit? If not, you might need to reinstall the USB drivers (which are included on the MapSource CD).

--Larry

Make that USB (Garmain Data Format)

Not Connected

Serial Data Format

Garmain

When I connect my unit via USB, the "USB (Garmin Data Format)" field says "Connected". It sure sounds like, for some reason, your unit isn't being "seen" by the program (and maybe not by Windows).

Try launching MapSource, going to the Utilities menu, and selecting "Get Unit ID...." Can MapSource detect your unit? If not, you might need to reinstall the USB drivers (which are included on the MapSource CD).

--Larry

Thanks again Larry...

I tried to move Bluechart maps from Mapsource to the unit and could not get a recognition there. I went through the Windows Recgnizes New Hardware drill and it was not a clean shot. God Bless Bill Gates!!!

I'll reboot, relax and retry...

Tom

Thanks again Larry...

I tried to move Bluechart maps from Mapsource to the unit and could not get a recognition there. I went through the Windows Recgnizes New Hardware drill and it was not a clean shot. God Bless Bill Gates!!!

I'll reboot, relax and retry...

Tom

I'm not sure what caused it in my case, but after installing some software or another on my PC, my 60CSx was no longer recognized when I plugged it in via USB. To fix it, I had to go to Device Manager (where the GPSr was listed with one of those evil "We have a problem" yellow exclamation points beside it), and delete the device from the list. The next time I attached the GPSr, Windows took me through the process of reinstalling the unit's USB drivers (I seem to remember having to insert the MapSource CD in the CD drive at some point). That fixed the problem (permanently, I hope :laughing: ).

--Larry

Woosas Larry et: all

A reboot plus a new search for new hardware solved the connect problem.

You gotta love it, after having unlocked the appropriate Caribbean map Db, and after having solved the recognition problem and after being able to display the proper maps on the laptop , once I listed them in the propor field and requested a transfer to the recognized 60Cx, I got a "no xfer, maps not unlocked, want to proceed regardless." I gave it a shot and no go....

Been wrestleing with a 12V02 Detroit Diesel all day and having washed the fuel off myself with a few Presidentes, I'll call it a day.

Manana....

Tomas

Woosas Larry et: all

A reboot plus a new search for new hardware solved the connect problem.

You gotta love it, after having unlocked the appropriate Caribbean map Db, and after having solved the recognition problem and after being able to display the proper maps on the laptop , once I listed them in the propor field and requested a transfer to the recognized 60Cx, I got a "no xfer, maps not unlocked, want to proceed regardless." I gave it a shot and no go....

Been wrestleing with a 12V02 Detroit Diesel all day and having washed the fuel off myself with a few Presidentes, I'll call it a day.

Manana....

Tomas

Problem solved, it was a Windows issue. I rebooted and allowed windows to look at the new hardware and the problem was solved. What happened in the meantime however is another story. I unlocked city nav for the unit and all went well. I unlocked a module out of Bluechart and though all had gone well. No so. The authorization was created at Garmin for "unknown" unit and I could not transfer charts to the Cx. I had to go back to Garmin and use my second license to authorize the Cx and emailed them about the Unknown ticket that is useless. Second time with windows in sync. with usb and r, correct unit was authorized.

Gotta love that software shuffle!

Yes, Garmin did have this update on their site for a very short time. however, they pulled it. I do hope that they repost the different GPS SW versions for manual download.

260update0eo.jpg

I see today that the manual download for GPS SW 2.60 is back.

Edited by hogrod