Cache Placement In Ohio

lostinthewuds

Hello all!

My one year old son and I have been members of this new addictoin for about a week now and we were thinking about placing our first cache in a few weeks. We live out side of Cincinnati Ohio and have a few good spots in mind.

I was looking on the net and it seems like just about every where has to have a permit for a cache. Can some one here help me with this seems like an awful lot of work.

The state parks seem pretty easy but alot of the parks and such..blah,blah,blah....

I just can't see all of those caches listed on the map having permits, maybe they do I could be wrong.

Can someone point me in the right direction and make me feel a little better?

lost

Welcome to the addiction!

I wouldn't say all parks require a permit. But here's a Link that specifies requirements for cache placement within some of the parks in SW Ohio, and Dayton areas.

Basically, if you know a park requires a permit, then you're stuck with getting one. Yeh, it's hassle, but a sign of the times. If you're not aware that a park requires a permit, then plop that sucka down! Also, the cache reviewer for this area will review your cache before it gets published, and let you know if a permit is required.

BTW, at the above link you can access the forums there and ask about any specific park in SW Ohio and someone should have the answer for you.

That was the web site that I found earlier. Can you still get a cache published if you don't have "permission" from a park that may not require a permit?

What about cemetaries? I would assume if it is on private land you'd have to ask, but what about township cemetaries and such?

One last question, I know of several good fishing holes under some local highway overpasses. I know the state owns a swath of land either side and under overpasses. ( I can't remember the lineal(sp) footing but I can find it) I also trap in the winter and you can place traps under overpasses so long as you "stay on" state land. Do you think a situation like this would require permission?

I'm not tring to put anyone on the spot here, just looking for some adice. I'm not one of those, "well so and so said I could do it", kind of people. Cover your own BUTT right?

Thanks for all of the help!!

lost

Can you still get a cache published if you don't have "permission" from a park that may not require a permit?

Most likely, yes. The reviewer is well-versed on which parks do and don't require a permit, so they would let you know if it did require a permit. The name of the game is to work with your reviewer for a solution.

What about cemetaries? I would assume if it is on private land you'd have to ask, but what about township cemetaries and such?

I'd say ask if it's a private cemetary. Otherwise as long as your cache is placed on the outskirts of the cemetary and not on a grave stone, then it should be OK.

One last question, I know of several good fishing holes under some local highway overpasses. I know the state owns a swath of land either side and under overpasses. ( I can't remember the lineal(sp) footing but I can find it) I also trap in the winter and you can place traps under overpasses so long as you "stay on" state land. Do you think a situation like this would require permission?

I don't think it would be approved by the reviewer as caches in/under/near a bridge are not allowed these days because of security concerns.

Hello all!

My one year old son and I have been members of this new addictoin for about a week now and we were thinking about placing our first cache in a few weeks. We live out side of Cincinnati Ohio and have a few good spots in mind.

I was looking on the net and it seems like just about every where has to have a permit for a cache. Can some one here help me with this seems like an awful lot of work.

The state parks seem pretty easy but alot of the parks and such..blah,blah,blah....

I just can't see all of those caches listed on the map having permits, maybe they do I could be wrong.

Can someone point me in the right direction and make me feel a little better?

lost

Just to keep in mind - Ohio state gamelands and nature preserves are definitely off-limits. I learned this when I scouted out a location and contacted the local gameland manager. He had no problem with it but then his superiors informed him of the state law prohibiting it. Saved me, and possibly others who would have been searching for my cache, embarrassment and possible prosecution. Always try to seek permission.

From the guidelines:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

Any place that has any rules has someone responsible for that area.

Any place that has someone maintaining it has someone responsible for it.

That person should be asked before you place a cache there.

Does every hider ask permission? No.

Does hiding caches without permission cause problems? Yes.

Don't assume that just because it's "public property" you can do whatever you want there.

Edited by RichardMoore