Stakes In Trees

Slainte

The stake won't harm the tree...but is a bad reflection on caching as a whole. We need to refrain from altering nature in anyway possible.

Criminal if you don't believe in loggers...move out of your house...it contains wood that came from guess where??

El Diablo

Ok, ok, ok I give up. Where DOES wood come from? :laughing::laughing::laughing: And while you're at it, that water stuff?

Well I will not get on my soap box here, I just feel very strongly that people should get the FACTS straight before they run their mouth.

"It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Abe Lincoln

The stake won't harm the tree...but is a bad reflection on caching as a whole. We need to refrain from altering nature in anyway possible.

Criminal if you don't believe in loggers...move out of your house...it contains wood that came from guess where??

El Diablo

Ok, ok, ok I give up. Where DOES wood come from? :laughing::ph34r::laughing: And while you're at it, that water stuff?

When a Mommy Wood and a Daddy Wood love each other very much.... (edited to keep it family friendly). :laughing:

Well I will not get on my soap box here, I just feel very strongly that people should get the FACTS straight before they run their mouth.

"It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Abe Lincoln

I have my facts straight.

Which ones are you talking about?

I recently was going to move a cache which would require drilling a hole into a tree. I communicated this with my reviewer and noted that the tree would be a dead tree.

He brought to my attention that even though it would be dead some other new cacher might take my idea and run with it only he/she might use a live tree. My reviewer suggested I keep this in mind when I move this cache.

Please keep in mind that my reviewer did not say he would not approve this cache, but it is obvious that if I had advised him that i planned on drilling into a live tree or putting a stake into a live tree that this would not have been a suggestion.

If the tree was in your own dooryard, what would be ok? A thumbtack? A tent stake? That's one way to decide how far to go. Another way to look at it is, what do you think the general public should do? Then don't make an exception for yourself.

If the tree was in your own dooryard, what would be ok? A thumbtack? A tent stake? That's one way to decide how far to go. Another way to look at it is, what do you think the general public should do? Then don't make an exception for yourself.

I'd cut it down and turn it into a stump cache!

No, wait; I already did that.

IMG_2125.jpg

Dooryard?

If the tree was in your own dooryard, what would be ok? A thumbtack? A tent stake? That's one way to decide how far to go.

That's actually not a good analogy. I would actually have no problem putting a stake in one of my own trees. I know it's not going to kill the tree. My mom has the cutest set of eyes, nose, and lips attached to a tree in her yard. However, I don't think she would dare put the same thing on a tree in a park.

Again, it's the perception, not the reality that counts.

Case in point, I am planning a cache in conjunction with our local college. The faculty has actually requested that we bury most of the cache so that it doesn't create an eyesore. (it's going to be a very large cache)

I stressed to them that buried caches are frowned upon, but they still insisted. I contacted my reviewer and though it is acceptable as long as it is approved by the owners (I have already insisted that faculty provide written approval); he reminded me that it is still frowned upon because it gives the perception that this is an acceptable way of hiding caches.

I am still working out the details and think I have convinced them of a way to camo this thing without burying it. I personally don't want to be the guy that encourages newbies to start burying caches all over the place.

If the tree was in your own dooryard, what would be ok? A thumbtack? A tent stake? That's one way to decide how far to go.

That's actually not a good analogy. I would actually have no problem putting a stake in one of my own trees. I know it's not going to kill the tree. My mom has the cutest set of eyes, nose, and lips attached to a tree in her yard. However, I don't think she would dare put the same thing on a tree in a park.

No, what I mean is, what would you want STRANGERS to do to your property?

I stressed to them that buried caches are frowned upon, but they still insisted. I contacted my reviewer and though it is acceptable as long as it is approved by the owners (I have already insisted that faculty provide written approval); he reminded me that it is still frowned upon because it gives the perception that this is an acceptable way of hiding caches.

Not to mention frustrating because it's supposed to be a given that the cache we're looking for is not buried. If people know it's buried, won't they be digging holes all over the place?

Edited by Kacky

I did some research and found the cache in question so archived it and have since bee4n in contact with the cache owner. They will remove the stake an rehide the cache according to guidelines. They were requested to send a picture of the hide before the cache will be unarchived. They also were appologetic about the method of hide and will go over the guidelines closely again.

Thanks all

Krypton

Northern California Volunteer Reviewer