Mapsource Na V. 8 Question

This may have been discussed, but I've been unable to find the thread. I've waited for the latest version of City Select North America to be released, which apparently has happened. However, the medium is DVD, and there is no DVD drive on my geocaching computer. Am I stuck with buying an external drive in order to use the new software? I've called Garmin, but have been unable to tolerate the long hold time. I hate it when my electronics turn into doorstops!

This may have been discussed, but I've been unable to find the thread. I've waited for the latest version of City Select North America to be released, which apparently has happened. However, the medium is DVD, and there is no DVD drive on my geocaching computer. Am I stuck with buying an external drive in order to use the new software? I've called Garmin, but have been unable to tolerate the long hold time. I hate it when my electronics turn into doorstops!

Either that or replace your current internal CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive; or if you have enough internal drive slots, just add the DVD-Rom to your current configuration. You can buy internal DVD drives for ~$40.00 from Newegg.

Do you have more than one computer available, like a desktop with a DVD drive? Possibly copy the entire contents of the disc onto a shared drive on your desktop, have the laptop open up the desktop's shared drive, then run the update over your LAN? Might take a while, but possibly preferable to upgrading your geocaching computer.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Apple computer guy, but I use a laptop PC for my caching, just to avoid the convolutions necessary to make the Mac play well with the cache programs. My Mac has a DVD drive, but that is of little use with City Select. Thanks for your ideas; sounds like I'll be looking for an external drive for the PC, though. Rats.

*cough* Samba for OS X *cough* Create a Windows-shareable network drive hosted on your Mac. I'm a Linux geek myself, and Samba's what I use for accessing my Linux RAID server if I need access to it from Windows box. Just a thought. :)

Alternative if you've got a CD-R/RW drive in your Mac would be to maybe split up the contents of the City Select DVD and burn the files onto a series of CDs, the copy all the CDs into a single folder on your Windows laptop (so you end up with a folder containing a copy of the original DVD), then try installing from there. But the DVD weights in at 1.5 GB, so you'll need more than that much free space on your laptop's hard drive (space to reassemble the DVD contents plus space for the actual program to install, approx 3.5 GB total).