When Should You Place Your 1st Cache?

So, what happens if someone with 1000 finds places a carpy cache? Is that any different than the guy with 2 finds? I've been geocaching for over 4 years, but that doesn't make me immune to placing caches that don't work out.

One of my newer hides just happened to be in the path of a sprinkler. I didn't know until it had been placed. I've replaced the logsheet a few times already and am wondering if I should just archive it. Another recent cache of mine was placed at the end of a trail. After placing the cache people started dumping garbage out there. I picked up some of it, but I can't keep up with the dumpers. Would it be any different if I didn't have nearly 900 finds? Probably not.

No more rules, please.

No new rules. Hide when you feel the need, seek when you want to. Be selective about what you seek if it makes you happier.

I agree that more exposure to exisiting hides adds more experience, but does is it always add positive experience? :laughing:

Some of us are already born to creative hides or containers, or showing off neat locations; other are happy content just hiding something for others to find without the same degree of inspiration. :laughing:

There's room for both in this sport.

Amen brother preach it! I think creativity has more to do than how many caches have been found. I waited for about 100 finds before I placed my first but that was just me. I don't put myself high on the creative list.

I dont remember how many finds i had before I placed my first cache. (Which was a series of 9 by the way, all placed the same day) I am creative by nature, and I like to use different containers than the usual ammo box or tupperware. Yeah, I got em, but I also have camo eggs, lemons, limes, a pinecone, and a few other cool containers not placed yet.

I think when you feel its right for you, go for it. I really dont see how more rules are going to make any difference.

Just my opinion.

So, what happens if someone with 1000 finds places a carpy cache? Is that any different than the guy with 2 finds?

What is a carpy cache? :anicute: Sorry Smurf man....just pulling your chain. :D

El Diablo

Carpy- a smelly fish that has been in the sun to long . :ph34r:

A new cache appeared one day, I read the description, it was the cacher's first hide. His profile showed, if I remember correctly, two finds. It was a multi in a shopping center parking lot.

Underwhelmed, I ignored it.

Pretty soon it's the buzz of our local caching community, so I go see the thing.

First stage, a decon container wrapped in camo burlap in a tree in a parking lot island. Oh well. The camo cover was really well done and hard to spot, but hey, it's in a tree in a parking lot island... not many places it could be!

Second stage it gets interesting - this is where it's been DNF'd more often than not. You know those vinyl 'Call Before You Dig' stickers? This is one of them, on a telephone switch box, but the guy works for the printing company that makes them, and in itty-bitty print across the bottom are the coords. It looks so natural everybody reads it, touches it, leans over to look all around it - few see them! Hey - great! I loved that!

Third stage there's a fence at the edge of the parking lot, a steep grassy hill below it, and a pond at the bottom. He's tied a 20' fishing line to the bottom of the fence, thrown the cache down the hill - the line is totally hidden in the grass... you have maybe one inch of line from the bottom of the fence to the grass to spot the line.

Final is a 6" square Tupperware, magnets glued to the bottom, attached under a platform on a stairwell, painted black to match the steel frame - you can look right at it and not see it.

It became, and remains now over two years later, one of the best multis in the area.

A first-time-hide by a geocaching newbie. Imagine that!

As for products, let the market decide !

Caches are being reviewed no ? So, if unsuitable, they will be removed, if not popular, they will fade away.

This is a game ! :D

Some kind of rating could be set, so people could sort out the ones worth the trip. This is mainly usefull for people travelling for other purpose than just logging on as many caches as possible.

Seems that the one feature I'd expect on the cache page, isn't there.

a rating of the cache.

just a simple 1-10 rating of what finders thought of the cache overall.

10 - you must put it at the top of your list now,

1 - this cache bites, don't bother.

I'm sure there are valid reasons it's not there, and it's probably been rehashed many times. But I think that would be much more useful than elevating those types of cachers who put numbers ahead of all else.

someone places a crap (carp) cache, it gets rated badly, perhaps even archived if the rating is bad enough over time.