"position Lost"

lostinthewuds

BackPackRider and I were on a quest today. My old Lorance Globalnav 12 was working great all day when we were out in the open. Once we came to our last find of the day it let us down. The cache was located in a wooded area and it would not keep us "found", and when it did the accuracy was horriable.

Until this point it has never let me down but it has always fallen short in the woods. Could this be due to it's age? Would a newer unit read better in the woods? Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of this unit?

I would like to have a newer gps but the $$$$ isn't there right now. I would like to look for some a little further off the beaten path but am a little weary of doing that after today.

Any thoughts about the Garmin Legend C? I found one at Dick's that is bundled with all of the software and some maps (I assume) for about $149 after the rebate from Garmin. That is a good price?

Thanks for all of the help,

lost

Tree cover will always have an effect on a GPSr's accuracy. Whether a newer unit would have any more luck locking on to a satellite than your Lowrance is up in the air.

My yellow eTrex couldn't lock on at all today under tree cover.... ended up DNFing because of it...

Would it have been possible to move away from the GZ and take a bearing with a compass? I frequently do this when I can't get a good sat lock and it usually gets me within 5-10 feet of GZ even with 40 foot accuracy.

Would it have been possible to move away from the GZ and take a bearing with a compass? I frequently do this when I can't get a good sat lock and it usually gets me within 5-10 feet of GZ even with 40 foot accuracy.

That's a good idea! I always travel with a Silva Ranger anyway, I spoze I could use it?! Just take a bering and of you go. Makes sence to use it under the trees when the GPS is spazzing out!

Thanks!

lost

My 60CS is becoming more prone to this problem as it gets older. I use it every day either for caching or for finding my way around the cities I am working in. It also has to survive in extremes of tempurature. I have used it in Montana in the winter, and in Houston, TX in mid summer, so I guess I shouldn't be to suprised if it is getting a little tired.