Two Units...one Card

I did a search and really couldn't find what I was looking for....sooo....Can you remove a memory card from a 60csx and place it in a 76csx and still be able to read the maps? I have a 60csx and was thinking about buying two more for my kids so they can go do their own thing and leave mine alone.... :ph34r: I have city select and topo right now and I know garmin lets you use put software on up to two units...Just curious if anyone has tried! Thanks...

Sure.

Red, are you sure you're sure? That would mean a fellow could load cards for all his buddies GPSr's from his GPSr using only his unlock code. I would have thought Garmin's/NavTech's locking would be more tamper resistant than that.

I think that if you load the card on your GPSr using your unlock code for that GPSr, that if you then take that card and install it into another GPSr, that GPSr would report 'can't unlock maps' or something like that. Can someone confirm?

Sure.

Red, are you sure you're sure? That would mean a fellow could load cards for all his buddies GPSr's from his GPSr using only his unlock code. I would have thought Garmin's/NavTech's locking would be more tamper resistant than that.

I think that if you load the card on your GPSr using your unlock code for that GPSr, that if you then take that card and install it into another GPSr, that GPSr would report 'can't unlock maps' or something like that. Can someone confirm?

8mmag,

I cannot confirm, but I agree with you. I suspect that when maps are downloaded from Mapsource that a unit ID is sent with them and is checked when the unit is powered on.

Sure.

8mmag,

I cannot confirm, but I agree with you. I suspect that when maps are downloaded from Mapsource that a unit ID is sent with them and is checked when the unit is powered on.

I did a search and really couldn't find what I was looking for....sooo....Can you remove a memory card from a 60csx and place it in a 76csx and still be able to read the maps? I have a 60csx and was thinking about buying two more for my kids so they can go do their own thing and leave mine alone.... :ph34r: I have city select and topo right now and I know garmin lets you use put software on up to two units...Just curious if anyone has tried! Thanks...

It would work if you have unlock codes for all the units.

TOPO would work because there are no unlock codes (unless they've recently added them), however city nav/select wouldn't work unless you had three unlocks :ph34r:

I can confirm that topo does work when switching cards between units, and so does my old metroguide v6. This is because there is no unlock codes. I used img2gps software to load the metroguide to the card so I still get autorouting(stupid mapsource striping routing data from non-locked maps).

I already have to deal with unlock codes with city select and my gps18/legendC. I had to send in my legendC, and had to spend 30min on the phone with garmin to get the new unit they sent unlocked for city select. F--k unlock codes.

not sure how the pre-programed cards work but they must get locked to the unit some how.

Edited by hogrod