House Caches

If the cache page says that its with the owner's consent, then I will go -look- at it.

From reading about humanloofa's cache, I'd probably do that one, next time I go to his area.

As yet, though, I drive away from the others. It's bad enough when there's s private home nearby, much less if the cache is on someone's home property!

We did Loofas cache. It is easily spotted from the street, so there was no intimidation factor. I even got out of the car myself for that one lol.

Thak you for the gratutious plug for my cache, It has been well recieved as a wounderfull example of an anti-micro ( and we all hate micros). The cache is up for grabs if anyone wants it. I'm moving and hope to make an even bigger one, now where am I going to find a bigger log book and scribble stick???? The cache

1b9161da-bf2f-49ea-bcdb-267e1c807ccd.jpg

:D I used to do house caches without a GPSr - we called it trick or treating. :unsure:

great now that you've said that, some numbers hound is gonna claim hundreds of multiple finds on an archived cache for all the homes they visited back on October 31st, 1975 :o

I seem to remember leaving some (stinky) caches on peoples doorsteps without a gpsr. That was when I was in high school and thought that stupidity was the first prerequisite for fun. :D

If the cache page says that its with the owner's consent, then I will go -look- at it.

From reading about humanloofa's cache, I'd probably do that one, next time I go to his area.

As yet, though, I drive away from the others. It's bad enough when there's s private home nearby, much less if the cache is on someone's home property!

We did Loofas cache. It is easily spotted from the street, so there was no intimidation factor. I even got out of the car myself for that one lol.

Thak you for the gratutious plug for my cache, It has been well recieved as a wounderfull example of an anti-micro ( and we all hate micros). The cache is up for grabs if anyone wants it. I'm moving and hope to make an even bigger one, now where am I going to find a bigger log book and scribble stick???? The cache

1b9161da-bf2f-49ea-bcdb-267e1c807ccd.jpg

YIKES! Is that a cache or a coffin???? :unsure:

I have a cache in my front yard The Purloined Cache. I was surprised at the people that were concerned about doing this cache even though the cache page stated that it was in the front yard and if they needed assistance in finding this cache to knock on the door and ask for help. One of the reasons I hid it there is because we have a persistant cache maggot in our area and this was the only way I could make sure it was not plundered.

Personally, I don't like the idea of caching in a residential area, because too many of the neighbors may be paranoid with all the homeland security BS. On the other hand, if the caches is located in a rural area, as long as the particular site is interesting and no one is out shooting critters.

Here in Nashville, we have many parks with historic buildings. I have been to one of these that looked very much like a private dwelling, and was not comfortable searching the area until I found that it was public property.

I would not place a cache on my property for several reasons.

1. My house sits on a 1/8 acre corner lot.

2. In the past few years, some of my neighbors have been arrested as drug dealers.

3. Last year, one of my neighbors was arrested by the FBI for terrorist activity.

4. too many kids in the neighborhood that are likely to muggle the cache. :mad:

You know, the more that I read this thread, the more I warm up to the idea of house caches, provided that they are a way for cachers to meet and interact with one another. I think I'd definitely have fun doing humanloofa's cache. I might even send my wife up to GPSaxophone's haunted hand house cache (I'd be ROGL near the car)! :mad:

I made a house cache by accident when I was placing one of my early caches - I mistakenly put my home coordinates on the gc page. Someone emailed me saying they dnf'd it and it seemed like an odd place. I wished I had known about the mistake before I did, because I would have sat in my front yard and watched the FTF race!

We actually have two residential caches. Both with the same theme.

My dad loves the idea of Geocaching, but mom isn't in a condition to go. So we put one at the corner of his yard and he gets a HUGE thrill of watching cachers try to find it. (GCPMOM) If he is out cutting the grass he will just wave and ask if they've found it yet. He loves to talk to the cachers and reading the logs. From the logs, almost everyone has enjoyed this one as much as my dad has.

Our second one was requested by my outlaw (HIS mother). They put up a new fence and deliberately left a spot for it. (GCWAFN). Although her reasoning was different from my dad's (if they have one, we should have one too!)...people seem to like it. There is a picture of this one one the cache page so that people know they are in the right spot. I think that helps too!

Both are well done and quick park and grabs. They were meant for an entertaining fun cache with a low difficulity. Both cache pages ask cachers to wave if they see them Mamaw & Popou or Nana & Papa.

Personally I enjoy residential caches. Knowing that permission has been granted I search for fun in hopes of meeting a new cacher!

I've done three. One was a micro in the mailbox and invited the finder across the street to the owner’s house if you're interested in meeting. I went to the house and found this travel bug just sitting on the driveway. The cacher wasn't at home, kinda disappointing as he is quickly becoming one of Michigan's most proficient cachers.

My second kinda sucked. I saw the mom and they had a license plate on their van that had something to do with caching. I went over and introduced myself and she pretty much was sending out the its-my-idiot-jerk-husband-that-geocaches-why-don't-you-leave-now vibes.

And my third was nice. I was the third finder on a brand new cache. The Mrs. was out on the riding mower, well, mowing. After doing my cache thing, I introduced myself, shared my people meeting coin and let her go about her mowing. For the cache log, they wanted a tall tale so I included her.

Edited by Husker

Just did one this past weekend and I was glad we did. Grabbed and dropped coins and travel bugs, felt safer they wouldn't be muggled. Also had a nice visit with the cache owner and family. Although, if I didn't know the cache owner at least by reputation I would probably pass. Thought it would be fun to do one, but I think we will pass on hiding one.

I had one in the alley behind my house, loved to watch cachers seek it, met many of them.

I found one in AbbysGrammy and NashvilleJoe's front yard, met them, became fast friends and see them regularly.

I found one in a handicapped fella's yard in small-town Alabama, had a nice chat with him, nice fellow.

I expect that if someone puts a cache at their home it's a statement that they like cachers, welcome them and will be friendly.

Since my enjoyment of caching is far more derived from the people than the caches I would go out of my way to do 'house caches'!

We've got a cache, Upton Multi where the first stage micro is in our front yard. It's very close to the sidewalk in a tree. You alsmost don't have to leave the sidewalk. We've found it fun to meet a handful of cachers. We state on the cache page that cachers have permission to be on the private property. We've had lots of good comments on the cache, and a few have mentioned that they felt a bit creeped out.

I have mixed feelings about yard caches. I'm a pretty shy person by nature, so the thought of going into a stranger's yard for a cache is something that gives me pause. However, I am the owner of a yard cache (GCNR00), which I placed in my own yard; not to meet other cachers (although that has happened a few times), but to draw them to see a unique feature of the neighborhood. I also used the opportunity to place something larger than a micro :laughing:

Before I placed the cache, I talked to the neighbors to let them know what I was doing, and they have been very supportive. They were already used to having strangers cruise the neighborhood taking pictures, anyway, so what's a few extra people with GPSr's? B)

One thing that I've noticed, though, is that the area's 'old hands' at geocaching have been considerably less thrilled by the cache than the new cachers. It's usually cachers with hundreds (or thousands) of finds that make remarks about not being comfortable going on private property.

me myself i like all the caches even the ones on front door steps . I did three on a trip to arizona including the one owned by humanloofa . Also did another in that same area that was full of large travel bugs and the owners even stated on the page you could knock on there door and they would give you there password for there wifi so you could log the cache from there porch and the cachers then came out and we got to meet them which was a bonus . They can be a bit scary but hey that just makes the game more of an adventure,and it seems that most of them placed as such are known about by the neighbors that live there and it kinda adds to the fun. Not to sure i would place one where i live as it would get a bit old having people driving up my half mile drive and fighting off the dogs to look on my porch. But all in all i seem to like all the caches as long as i dont have to scoot to far on my but to get them . Thanks :laughing::):)B)B)

That Humanloofa fella is cool. Have you seen his old anti-micro cache? Brilliant. You would feel a bit daft putting some rubbish swap in that thing!

I did a house cache that very clearly stated that it could be reached from the sidewalk and that you did not need to go into the yard. I figured that this was because the owner didn't want people walking all over his grass. A few weeks later I happen to go to that same house with a friend who knew the owners and I told them I had found thier geocache. They gave me a big blank look. :laughing: It turns out they had never heard of geocaching and they had no idea a cache was in their front yard. At least it was a credit to the sneakyness of our local cachers because this was a very popular drive by cache with several finds a day.

Edited by Cannonlaw

As a cache reviewer, I see this type of cache hide submitted week in and week out. I've just published one, in fact. There are no guidelines preventing a cache at a residence, other than the need to have permission for a cache on private property. But sometimes cache reviewers take the time to point out issues that can improve the cache experience for everyone. I've noticed especially that new geocachers often hide their first cache in their front yard, with cache pages that don't go into detail about what to expect.

I've developed a template that I post on cache pages that are obviously placed in a residential setting. The substance of the note:

This cache looks like it's hidden in a residential area. Caches on private property need clear evidence of permission, so I hope that this is your own property. Geocachers are often very uncomfortable searching for a cache near a residence. It would help people enjoy your cache, and you'll get more visitors, if you could edit your cache description to say that you are the owner of the property and that people have permission to search there. If you need to attach any conditions, like "no searching after 10:00 at night," it would be a good idea to mention this on your cache page also. Otherwise, expect bumps in the night and barking dogs at 2:00 a.m. Finally, because of bad satellite reception, approaching from the wrong direction, etc., it is possible that geocachers may inadvertently trespass on your neighbors' property. Please consider telling your neighbors about your geocache, and adding a hint to let people know they're at the correct house.

The note goes on to request that the hider "consider" editing their cache page, and then how to contact me to take another look at it.

Often, cache owners have thanked me for making them think about issues they had not considered. But others have said "this is none of your business, my cache meets the guidelines so just list it."

I would be interested in hearing feedback on this reviewer note. Thanks.

As a cache reviewer, I see this type of cache hide submitted week in and week out. I've just published one, in fact. There are no guidelines preventing a cache at a residence, other than the need to have permission for a cache on private property. But sometimes cache reviewers take the time to point out issues that can improve the cache experience for everyone. I've noticed especially that new geocachers often hide their first cache in their front yard, with cache pages that don't go into detail about what to expect.

I've developed a template that I post on cache pages that are obviously placed in a residential setting. The substance of the note:

This cache looks like it's hidden in a residential area. Caches on private property need clear evidence of permission, so I hope that this is your own property. Geocachers are often very uncomfortable searching for a cache near a residence. It would help people enjoy your cache, and you'll get more visitors, if you could edit your cache description to say that you are the owner of the property and that people have permission to search there. If you need to attach any conditions, like "no searching after 10:00 at night," it would be a good idea to mention this on your cache page also. Otherwise, expect bumps in the night and barking dogs at 2:00 a.m. Finally, because of bad satellite reception, approaching from the wrong direction, etc., it is possible that geocachers may inadvertently trespass on your neighbors' property. Please consider telling your neighbors about your geocache, and adding a hint to let people know they're at the correct house.

The note goes on to request that the hider "consider" editing their cache page, and then how to contact me to take another look at it.

Often, cache owners have thanked me for making them think about issues they had not considered. But others have said "this is none of your business, my cache meets the guidelines so just list it."

I would be interested in hearing feedback on this reviewer note. Thanks.

Sounds like a well thought out note to me, would not bother me in the least to get it.

I'm actually glad that this thread popped up. I have a nice yard in a residential area that has about 2 acres or more of wooded area behind it that is also my property. I have trails of my own creation and they give me great pleasure when I can't be anywhere else.

The positives for me to place a cache in my wooded wonderland are (a) being able to share my trails with others (:lol: getting to meet some geocachers who are not shy, and © feeling safe to place a full size cache with quality swag without worry of it being plundered or muggled and (d) the ability to check on the cache more regularly to refill/replace with swag/pens/log books etc

I also thought about the potential negatives. (a) the fact that many would feel uncomfortable accessing the trails through my backyard. (:wub: how to prevent those foolish enough to try and hunt these trails at 2 am despite any warnings I might include about the dangers © how to make sure that people don't go through a neighbors yard by mistake. and (d) how to put a legal disclaimer in the cache description that absolves me of liability in case someone takes a tumble.

Until I figure out the solution to those problems...I'll just keep playing with the idea.

I have only hunted one house cache that was located in Daytona. To be fair, I was also kinda creeped out knowing that someone might see what I was doing and ask uncomfortable questions, but after reading the cache logs and the description, I felt much better. The address was given, the hint was a no-brainer and many other cachers before us had the opportunity to say hello to "grandma and Aunt Ruth" in the process. Seems they love the tourists and get a kick out of meeting new folks...especially geocachers.

I understand everyone has their own preference for certain types of caches. That's what makes them fun. Nobody says that you *have* to hunt all caches. I won't do puzzle caches that involve complicated math equasions or require you to research some obscure language. Those go on ignore for me. I happen to like most micros because I simply like playing hide and seek sometimes. Those are just *my*preferences on how I play the game. I'm not going to demand or expect that any cache that doesn't meet my expectations or comfort level be banned...but I do expect that the cache description include *exactly* where you will be searching, what you will find, whether the area is known for criminal activity (urban caches) and if there are any known hazards. This gives a person the ability to pass it by if it doesn't fit in well with their particular taste or adventure level.

Did this one on vacation, tha' Lighthouse. It was near a business with the "bonus" of being by a house. I wouldn't have done it except it was on a major road and the hider said everyone was aware of it. I comforted myself with the fact that it was a heavy traffic area and lots of people had logged it.

Only took a moment to find but, boy, was I surprised when a loudspeaker (from drive-thru next door) commented on the quickness of my find. I confessed to having looked at clue before even attempting. It is not like I wanted to be stumbling around someone's place looking for a cache.

I have seen other house caches that had some neat features but I will not do. I am not going poking around someone's backyard. My brother-in-law is a police officer and I've heard too many horror stories not to be wary. Let's face it, "serial killer lures geocachers to home" sounds like an interesting plot for a movie! :huh:

Abigail

I have seen other house caches that had some neat features but I will not do. I am not going poking around someone's backyard. My brother-in-law is a police officer and I've heard too many horror stories not to be wary. Let's face it, "serial killer lures geocachers to home" sounds like an interesting plot for a movie! :huh:

Abigail

Your caution is valid on many levels. On the other hand, I'm more worried about those who go poking around on their own willy nilly in vast wilderness areas, not skilled in the least as campers/hikers/survivalists-all for the sake of a find before dark...(or so they hope). The thought of a team of geocachers armed with cell phones (and perhaps a nice little weapon or two) being threatened by a serial killer is far less likely. :huh:

Our local admin had one in his old pickup truck in his driveway. I don't think he ever drove it. I tried finding it one time but was too creeped out about being in someone's yard. Only reason I found out where it was was because my brother found it. Since then the guy sold the truck I believe so the cache went bye-bye.

Abigail

Your caution is valid on many levels. On the other hand, I'm more worried about those who go poking around on their own willy nilly in vast wilderness areas, not skilled in the least as campers/hikers/survivalists-all for the sake of a find before dark...(or so they hope). The thought of a team of geocachers armed with cell phones (and perhaps a nice little weapon or two) being threatened by a serial killer is far less likely. :huh:

Agreed. ;)

We actually have a cache on a proptery that is owned by my other half. Its part of a multi, you have to start somewhere to get there. Basically she lived her her whole life, and the neighbors know her and are aware of caching.

I also have one at school bus stop. We both mailed out "What is Geocaching?" to our neighbors, and none of them returned phone calls. I did get one phone call though to make sure it wasn't on a private road, I told him it was at hte bus stop and he was like okay thats kewl. So no problems.

I guess it really depends on the area you live in.

My daughter and I went to find a cache that appeared in my map program to be between properties. It stated that you did NOT go via the alley, approach from the front. But the coords sent us to the backyard, so I DNF'd it. Got an email that it was in the owner's FRONT yard, it was their house. So we went back the next day and drove by again. It is backed up to an "alley" that is a grassy easement kinda' thing for the power lines I think, so I wasn't sure which house it was from the front. There was someone standing out in their yard as we went by...the first time. Second pass there wasn't anyone ut there so I turned around and went back. Dang! They were standing out in the yard again, waiting for me to come by...we saw each other at the same time and started laughing. Turns out she had placed the cache there in the yard to actually MEET other cachers in the area. I did a coord reading there and came up with a bit of a distance from their reading, so they adjusted the coords on the cache page.

I will place one in my yard, out front with explicit instructions, only so it is really easy for our Girl Scout troop to place and monitor a cache of their own. Then if they ever get tired of it, it will still be maintained by someone. It is also a way of making a "home" starting point for my travel bugs.

If the cache owner lives in the house, I think it is fine...

Our local admin had one in his old pickup truck in his driveway. I don't think he ever drove it. I tried finding it one time but was too creeped out about being in someone's yard. Only reason I found out where it was was because my brother found it. Since then the guy sold the truck I believe so the cache went bye-bye.

I remember that one!! I found that cache at 0200... Later that day I met the cache owner, and found out he owns a few big dogs!

I usually get a bit nervous when the cache is at a house, but if the cache description has enough info that I am sure I am at the right house, then I go for it. Little clues like the color of trim or something else really helps.

Edited by IC1

I live outside city limits, on the edge of a big field. I placed a cache in an arbor on the corner of the property, definitely a "dash and cache" site. Folks just pull up to the corner in their cars, walk under the arbor, snag the find, and head on their ways. The cache is "pirate themed," so I've even placed a huge Jolly Roger flag on the arbor to capture a cacher's attention. Yeah, it's my first hide, but I've learned a lot from other cachers who happen to hit the stash while I happen to be working in the garden...although, I do not approach them...only if they initiate conversation. It's working out pretty cool, but I'm not going to place anymore home caches.

You know, the more that I read this thread, the more I warm up to the idea of house caches, provided that they are a way for cachers to meet and interact with one another. I think I'd definitely have fun doing humanloofa's cache. I might even send my wife up to GPSaxophone's haunted hand house cache (I'd be ROGL near the car)! :wub:

Yes, provided that it's a way to interact with the cache owner, and meet people. I've done two like that, even managed to meet one of the top 20 numbers wise cachers in the world that way. There was just one published in my area last week, that although I'm pretty sure it's the cache owners property (a newbie), all he says is "the nearby neighbors are aware, barking dogs in nearby yards may make stealth difficult". Too weird for me, I just drove on by :wub:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm getting ready to send out a bunch of travel bugs and wanted them to start from my home coordinates so decided to set up a house cache. Originally I was just going to create a cache page and not have it published... just a placeholder of sorts that I could start TBs in so I could track mileage from home instead of some arbitrary cache in the wild somewhere.

That being said, I was on my way to catch the bus this morning and decided that the street gets enough foot traffic that I don't think too many people would be uncomfortable. The cache page will clearly state that it is on my property, and the cache will be clearly visible and clearly marked. If nobody goes for it, it still meets my original intent. If someone does go for it, I may get to meet some fellow cachers.

I never really cared for this type of cache, though the only one I can recall ever even driving up to was Tahosa's cache in Colorado. I figured out that it was his house, but since he had emailed me before that weekend telling me that he was going to be at work during the day I was pretty sure no one was home. That being the case I passed on the cache since I couldnt see anything from inside our truck that was clearly a geocache and I was concerned the neighbors would mistake me for a burglar if I got out of the truck and acted suspicious. That and being in a residential area was giving the wife issues.

However, on a recent road trip we found several house caches around Blanding, UT. The difference here was every one of them was huge containers visible from the road and placed in a very specific place well enough away from the house to make us more comfortable that we were not at the wrong yard or encroaching on anyone's personal time or space. No one came out to meet us on that trip and at least one of them was worthy of taking photos of the unique artwork on site. So they were house caches, but also not too much different from other normal caches.