What I Have Learned..

Sneakypete00

13 "found" caches under my belt. :laughing:

I have, SO FAR, learned that:

1) Ammo boxes 30 cal and 50 cal are ultimately the best. They hold lots too.

2) Anything tupperware'ish is crap with the exception of "Lock n' Lock" containers.

3) Micros are are usually magnetic key holders and always have damp logs.

4) Bring bug spray, a pair of work gloves, pen, flashlight, camera, compass, and a notepad.

5) a pile of logs is not a pile of logs.

6) Decrypt the hints BEFORE printing the page out.

Not sure if your new to the Forums page, but if you keep reading them, you will start hearing about Paperless caching. You can even do a serch for it if you like. Then you can desifer out in the woods. I also printed or made my own desifer paper and keep it in my geocaching bag.

Welcome to the club......

13 "found" caches under my belt. :laughing:

I have, SO FAR, learned that:

1) Ammo boxes 30 cal and 50 cal are ultimately the best. They hold lots too.

2) Anything tupperware'ish is crap with the exception of "Lock n' Lock" containers.

3) Micros are are usually magnetic key holders and always have damp logs.

4) Bring bug spray, a pair of work gloves, pen, flashlight, camera, compass, and a notepad.

6) Decrypt the hints BEFORE printing the page out.

I'd add 7) "Set a waypoint for the car". 8) Make sure the pen you leave with is yours! :laughing:

Container quality depends on the Tupperware. Up here in the Pacific NW "Lock n' Lock" are also called "get your cache wet the first day". They don't protect against water very well.

It rains so much here we like rain jokes. ("Yesterday it was sunny for 2 1/2 hours. Today must be the first day of Fall." "Last year 5000 bicyclists died....they fell off their bicycles and drowned."

I have about 6 micros and none of them are key holders. Most of them are waterproof Coleman match holders.

D-e-c-i-p-h-e-r :laughing:

Those are some key observations you make. I have never liked any kind of plastic container, lock-locks included, as they brittle and crack with time. By then, the cacher is no longer active and the container is essentially trash in the woods or wherever. Ammo cans are pretty good as they come painted against rust and can be had cheaply at surplus stores. If you ever noticed, the lid slides off quite easily for cleaning and what not - very ingenious.

Extra batteries, cell phone. If we are city caching we also bring a food pincer for those places where you don't want to put your fingers.

You should try geocaching in Sweden, where a pile of stones is not a pile of stones :laughing:

Pelican cases are probably the best "plastic" type cases on the market but they are very expensive. Too bad the micros in your area seem to be all the same type of container. I have run across micros in the form of film containers, altoids tins, a bolt etc...I live in an area of some pretty creative cache hiders which makes caching so much more rewarding.

I was going to mention that as well...

I'm new to the community, but I've got two caches to my credit thanks in no small part to my Brother-in-Law from Vermont who got me hooked when he came down back in May!

I was so stoked from the first adventure that my wife sprung for a Magellan eXplorist 210 [YAY Momma Bear!] I just gotta figure out how best to link it up to a Mac... Gosh darn it, I didn't think it would be so hard to use a Mac along with a GPS system...

My question is- with rusting aside- is the venerable GI ammo can the better choice overall or would using the stovepipe style "map" canisters half buried- perhaps disguised as a bollard or fence post? :P

I'd love to plant a cache of my own in the near future- but there does seem to be some quandry as to what's most user friendly.

Pssst . . . you can't bury a cache. It is against the guidelines.

I love your enthusiasm though. Welcome to the addicition. :P:D

:blink::P Ummmm- woops!

Actually, I was sorta half-wrong/half-right since it would'a been "half burried"

:P Oh yeah- great save there!

Very good point and thanks for the "Howdy"!

After some consideration and the experience gained today from some caches...

I am upgrading my from beaner hip(fanny) pack to a beaner school book backpack.

This upgrade is to accomodate 2 recently added items:

1) Machete

2) A pair of rubber/PVC Rainfair muck boots

Also contained in this backpack are:

bug spray

swag(traded & untraded)

a pair of work gloves

pens

flashlight

camera

cellphone

compass

notepad

extra batteries

extra ziploc bags

A good walking stick can usually be found nearby.

After some consideration and the experience gained today from some caches...

I am upgrading my from beaner hip(fanny) pack to a beaner school book backpack.

This upgrade is to accomodate 2 recently added items:

1) Machete

2) A pair of rubber/PVC Rainfair muck boots

Also contained in this backpack are:

bug spray

swag(traded & untraded)

a pair of work gloves

pens

flashlight

camera

cellphone

compass

notepad

extra batteries

extra ziploc bags

A good walking stick can usually be found nearby.

I strongly suggest that you leave the machete at home. When a cacher hides a cache in the middle of nowhere they generally have a reason and the last thing they want is for someone to come along and blaze a big ol' trail right to it.

The machete is for briar retaliation only.

They are particularly thick this season. 90% of the time, caches in my area are on trails, or in parks with trails.

Some trails exist already. Man-made or nature made(deer trail, streambed). I am no stranger to woods. I like my woods, that's why I can't stand Florida!