New Premium Feature

More and more cache owners use a simple JavaScript to replace the original cache icon with a custem icon.

Why not making this a regualar geocaching.com feature?

If the owner is a premium member and pays 5 $ per cache he can upload a custom icon for his cache.

If the owner is a premium member and pays 15 $ per cache he can upload a custom icon for his cache and every cacher who logs this cache will see this icon in his cache found list.

Geocoin icon hunting has become very popular. I am sure that cache icon hunting will become very popular too.

More and more cache owners use a simple JavaScript to replace the original cache icon with a custem icon.

If the owner is a premium member and pays 5 $ per cache he can upload a custom icon for his cache.

If the owner is a premium member and pays 15 $ per cache he can upload a custom icon for his cache and every cacher who logs this cache will see this icon in his cache found list.

Geocoin icon hunting has become very popular. I am sure that cache icon hunting will become very popular too.

Haven't given that much thought have you.

Where is the advantage, "hey premium member's, fork over an extra $15.00 per cache if you want a better icon.

I'll pass. :)

I wouldn't pay an extra 10 cents for such an option, it simply isn't worth it, sorry.

Lots of cachers pay for having a custom icon for their geocoins. Lots of cachers swap coin numbers to get many geocoin icons into their trackeables list. I am sure that many cachers would pay for a custom cache icon.

Can you provide links to examples of this? I have yet to see this and I look at a lot of cache pages.

I tried it when I heard about it and wanted to see if it worked. I was rather surprised it did.

Here and here are my two tries (one a multi and one a traditional)

Although I don't believe what I did for these two was harmful (the original icon is still plainly visible), I don't think this is going to last much longer.

I'm clueless? Would you mind posting a link so I can see what you mean.

Pepper

edit...ok I see now found a link...

Edited by Pepper

at first I didn't believe what you were posting, but now I see the links, interesting.....however, I wonder if this loophole will be closed quickly now that you've made posted it here. I had never heard of this before today, while interesting, and it might be cool to have custom icons for a few of my caches, something like this might really clutter up cache listings and cause caches with default icons to be ignorned by the icon collectors.

I can see it now- people calling others cheaters for using a generic icon, or calling it stealing, copyright infringment, etc-

What, you didnt make your Own icon? LIAR, Cheater..............

People might just accuse you of ruining the game, taking away thier pride because they dont like fancy icons, and cant do them personally- so they'd never be able to have one. (but will point to other easy ways to aquire one "the easy way")and how that is lying, cheating ruining your concept)

Oh no - wayyyyyyyy to much angst will be had with this...

I mean c'mon - whats next? someone will definately start making thier own very detailed cool html layouts for thier pages, while others sit and bite nails....Oh the humanity!

Judging by previous trends while reading these boards - well - this wont be well accepted-

Although I dont see a real Big issue here. . . .

Can you provide links to examples of this? I have yet to see this and I look at a lot of cache pages.

I tried it when I heard about it and wanted to see if it worked. I was rather surprised it did.

Here and here are my two tries (one a multi and one a traditional)

Although I don't believe what I did for these two was harmful (the original icon is still plainly visible), I don't think this is going to last much longer.

As near as I can tell, the "custom" icon is only visible on the cache page, not on the search results page.

Is that correct?

If so, what good is it? Granted, if gives a little more uniqueness to the cache page, but that's about it.

The big problem I see here (wasn't this brought up in the other thread on this exact same topic?) is that most people use the cache type icon as a visual to determine the cahe type. With geocoins it is little different in that there is only one type of geocoin. With caches there are many different types and adding custom icons will just confuse things.

Also unlike geocoins the only mechanism to prove that you visited a cache is the owner verifying it agains the physical log. As if fake finds arn't already a problem adding custom cache icons will just make this problem worse. The cost of a custom cache icon needs to be high enough that the cache owner would want to make sure that no fake logs were made.

As near as I can tell, the "custom" icon is only visible on the cache page, not on the search results page.

Is that correct?

If so, what good is it? Granted, if gives a little more uniqueness to the cache page, but that's about it.

Yeah, that's correct. I just tried it for fun.

Interestingly enough, one of those cache pages I experimented with is now missing the JavaScript. Did someone edit it out (meaning it's not allowed anymore)?

The big problem I see here (wasn't this brought up in the other thread on this exact same topic?) is that most people use the cache type icon as a visual to determine the cahe type.

It should be no problem to add a very smal cache type icon to the custom icon. Just like the owner of the "easter egg" made it.

The big problem I see here (wasn't this brought up in the other thread on this exact same topic?) is that most people use the cache type icon as a visual to determine the cahe type.

It should be no problem to add a very smal cache type icon to the custom icon. Just like the owner of the "easter egg" made it.

But if I'm going to pay money for this why can't I have it my way? :ph34r:

<snip to remove unecessary pricing discussion<snip>

I have seen 1000's of cache pages, and never seen this before. I think it's a terrible idea. I want to know the cache type immediatly when I'm looking at a search or my GPS. I want to know if it is a puzzle or a multi, so I can determine if I want to spend time solving or hunting it. I don't want to decipher that info from 100's of customized icons. :ph34r:

A coin is a coin, more or less. It's a customized metal token, usually round, but it's still a coin.

There are already five active cache types, and quite a few variations within each type. That's plenty IMO. Spend your money on better containers or swag if it's burning a hole in your wallet. There's no need to confuse the cache type with special icons.