Pvc Pipe Container

markp99

I am thinking about making a cache container from a short section of PVC pipe (4in diameter x ~10in long).

Using a cap at one end and a threaded fitting at the other would seem to make for a watertight container.

I am concerned the threaded fitting might be difficult to manage /open in the winter months here in NH.

Does anyone have any good experiences to offer with a container like this? How did you close the ends? Any winter experiences?

Thanks!

Edited by markp99

I made one out of 8 inch pipe with the screw on cap on one end. I found that you just about needed a wrench to get it closed tight enough to be watertight, and then of course you needed a wrench to get it off.

I thought of making a multi out of mine, the first coords would bring you to a tool (read wrench) with the coords, very close by, of the container. Might work this way.

Good Luck

I am thinking about making a cache container from a short section of PVC pipe (4in diameter x ~10in long).

Using a cap at one end and a threaded fitting at the other would seem to make for a watertight container.

I am concerned the threaded fitting might be difficult to manage /open in the winter months here in NH.

Does anyone have any good experiences to offer with a container like this? How did you close the ends? Any winter experiences?

Check the pricing. I did once using a pressure testing plug (or whatever you call the rubber grommeted thingie) and it cost a lot more than an ammo can. If you've got the parts laying around then that's different.

Watch using this around muggles, any buildings, any roads or bridges, and anywhere else a muggle might find it. People freak over it looking like a "bomb." (Not that many, or any, bombs are made from 4" PVC, but Hollywood has conditioned the populous.)

Threaded fittings are not watertight.

People think they are because pipes uses threaded fittings, but those are used only once and sealed with a sealing compound, not opened and closed all the time.

Every single cache I have seen that used a threaded fitting for access to the contents has leaked. The only reliable seal type for access to PVC caches is an O-ring.

You don't need winter to make these difficult to open. I found a PVC pipe cache last weekend, but had to log a DNF on it, because it had been screwed on too tight to open by hand.

Hint for testing what will happen to your cache in the New Hampshire winters:

1. Moisten the threads to simulate what will happen when there's snow in the picture.

2. Screw the cap on the PVC pipe, and put in your freezer.

3. After a few days, open the freezer, and without removing the pipe from the freezer, try to unscrew the cap.

4. Throw away the pipe with the permanently frozen-on cap, and go buy an ammo can. :)

We've got a PVC cache with a screw-top lid. In the winter, it sometimes sticks a bit. But overall the biggest problem is that it is not waterresistant. Moisture seeps in through the bottom and the lid, we finally gave up on the constant battle with moisture and put the cache contents inside a seperate container within the pipe. We used a small nalgene container that looks like a green cup with a screw-on lid.

We often hear that previous finders have hand tightened the pvc lid to the point where folks need tools to open it. I don't know if I would recommend it unless you have a particular reason to use PVC in the particular area.

Hope that helps!

-J

The only one of these I have found that was dry was one on which I was Second to Find . . . :)

Another one I found had the lid on so tight, I couldn't get it off. Fortunately, the cache wasn't too far from where I parked my car, so I took the cache back to my car and used the jumper cable clamp to get enough leverage to open the cache.

Looks like you've received good advice (warnings) regarding the tendency of PVC-pipe caches with threaded caps to leak. My two cents--I've assisted a local cacher who has a lot of remote caches in a project to replace all of his PVC pipe containers with ammo boxes. The pipes leak badly and they can be very difficult to open without a wrench.

I have one of these and used the compression plug type cap. It does stay dry as long as finders are diligent to fully turn the wingnut and ensure the seal is watertight. I would never use a threaded connection for PVC.

As far as cost, it wasn't bad for this area - I think the plug for a 4" PVC pipe was about $2.50 and the pipe was leftover material from our garage. The other end was sealed, but originally not by a hardware part and was industrially glued in place and then siliconed watertight. Ithe plug on that added to the camo so that the container would not have anyone suspecting it might be an explosive device of any kind. In fact, before some camo failure on the container, the only way to tell it was made of PVC pipe was after opening it. In fact the camo was so good that the first time it leaked was after someone kicked the container (in frustration of not finding the cache?) and destroyed it. Unfortunately I didn't make the container with the intent to withstand violent physical abuse. An ammo can might have survived the kicking a little better, but here the only store that sells them charges $10 for a 30 cal can and $25 for a 50 cal can. I need to convince my office mate in the Nat'l Guard to get me some more at a much better price.

Reading this thread after work got me to thinking about pipe closure techniques. Is anyone familiar with "cam-lock" style connection fittings? Very common in chemical plants as a way to connect hose to pipe, then break the connection when the transfer is complete. Cost may be an issue, but if you don't want to use an ammo can, they are available in polypropylene. 316 SS also, but that's pretty over the top.

Wow, excellent advice here. I'm glad I asked the question!

I have two empty camo'd ammo cans waiting for just the right spot. This PVC pipe thing was intended to achieve a particular form factor (cylindrical) where an ammo box or even a square lock-n-lock just wouldn't work so well.

I stopped into Home Depot after work. I couldn't find the right combination of fittings (there were gender issues :)), so I bagged the idea.

I'm still on the hunt for a watertight (not underwater) cylindrical container larger than a small Nalgene bottle or tennis ball can-sized container.

Any other ideas for this form factor??

Thanks!!

Gender is usually an issue when searching for pipe fittings at the big home centers. Its as if their buyers decide to stock exactly half of what's needed. And the boxes are always mis-labeled. Try a plumbing supply house, or look at McMaster-Carr or a similar general industrial supply house. I don't know what M-C's policy is regarding non-corporate accounts. I seem to be in their database due to activity from work, and have had no problems paying via personal credit card and shipping to my home address.

Find a store that sells welding supplies and buy a welding rod holder. THey are round, about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 14 inches long. Best of all, since even dampness can ruin a welding rods coating they are waterproof. Just googled them and found one here.

Ooooh, that looks good! I'll need to look into those.

I've often thought about the reusable tennis ball containers. They are meant to keep tennis balls "fresh". You can find them at a sporting goods store in the raquets section. They probably aren't as large as you are looking for (3 tennis balls), but they do a very good job of storing tennis balls.

I have used PVC containers and can assure you that they are a pain. They are not water tight and can be very frightening to the non-caching community.

I've often thought about the reusable tennis ball containers. They are meant to keep tennis balls "fresh". You can find them at a sporting goods store in the raquets section. They probably aren't as large as you are looking for (3 tennis balls), but they do a very good job of storing tennis balls.

Not good in the weather.

I've found about a dozen caches in PVC pipe. I can't think of one that was dry.

What was it again? Oh yeah, right on target Brainsnat. I agree, never have found a dry one. Guess it helps if it is placed inverted but like that is going to happen everytime. My local army surplus dealer showed me something similiar called a "dragon tube". It has a seal and also a built in rachet for loosening it the colder temps.

Very sucky in the winter, mine failed miserably up on top of the mountain. The threads (male) allowed water to seep in all winter long.

Replaced it with a five gallon bucket and the bear opened it. Cant win for losing. By the way this is my new bear cache container testing grounds (alot of bear activity here in Dragonfly Meadow).

Edited by Colorado Cacher

Properly constructed ..... you can work an O-ring into the mix and get a watertight seal without having to tighten down againt the threads .... but against the O-ring. Freezing water can disable almost any cache. Cement/glue a few nubs to the lid to provide leverage for opening. :laughing: ImpalaBob

Wow, excellent advice here. I'm glad I asked the question!

I have two empty camo'd ammo cans waiting for just the right spot. This PVC pipe thing was intended to achieve a particular form factor (cylindrical) where an ammo box or even a square lock-n-lock just wouldn't work so well.

I stopped into Home Depot after work. I couldn't find the right combination of fittings (there were gender issues :laughing:), so I bagged the idea.

I'm still on the hunt for a watertight (not underwater) cylindrical container larger than a small Nalgene bottle or tennis ball can-sized container.

Any other ideas for this form factor??

Thanks!!

Army surplus mortar tubes. They are already a camo green, have an O ring seal and are about $4 each.

Cheaperthandirt.com used to sell them, but they haven't for a while. I've found a good number of caches in them, so they must be available somewhere.

Anyone know where to find a watertight container (threaded w/ gasket, preferably) narrow enough to fit inside of a 1/2" ID pvc pipe?

Nano container, Pill holder pendant (pharmacy), Dog / Cat ID holder (pet store) .... to name a few. Bison tubes are around 5/8th usually. :ph34r: ImpalaBob