Memory Map

MM is a lovely package. I particularly like having the 1:25,000 sheets for the whole of the UK on hand.

The one error that I've found with it though is that wrongly flags the use of WGS84 when it's actually using Airy Speroid and OSGB36 datum. That's not a big problem though. You just pop the cursor over a graticule inetrsection to check which datum is actually being used.

The heighting is also a fabulous resource. A neighbouring farmer was given a horrendous quote by a well known Surveying firm for a 3D survey of some land where a lot of cut & fill excavation is being planned. By skimming the heighting data off MM I was able to do the necessary volume calcs for him very easily without having to do any fieldwork other than a very quick check of the ground truth. It saved him a fortune and I now have a lovely bottle of vintage Macallan stowed away in my drinks cabinet for next Crimbo as a reward.

Shame as I could only afford Fugawi, but it gives a map of the area on the Palm quite adequately for my simple needs. :):D

Unfortunately there is not much choice on the palm os, I used it for a while but got annoyed by not being able to create and edit waypoints on the go and you can't link waypoints to cachemate either, I was converted once I saw MM working on a ppc.

In defence of fugawi it was still better than relying on mapsource stuff and ending up on the wrong side of rivers on a regular basis.

Yes - quite a few of them (30-40 from a quick look) although I have to admit not really playing with that part of it yet. The default one is a black dot surrounded by a small square which does the job for what I need in the field.

You can also create your own icons both for the PC app or the Palm / PPC app - I see they have several caching icons built in by default :)

Thats me put right then, do you get more waypoint icons now as well, that red box was horrible.

Walks away hanging head in shame...

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Neither.

I 'acquired' the full set of 1:50,000 and 1:25,000, as well as the small-scale stuff, from some clever people. It's a vast resource, filling half a dozen DVD-ROMs.

Many years ago I had the joy of buying and maintaining a full set of all the 1:50,000 paper sheets for the whole of the UK when I was running the onshore helicopter operations of a small airline. Half a dozen years later the Doomsday Project issued all the charts on a laserdisc (the doggy old Philips platter-sized thing) which ran under a BBC Model B desktop 'puter, but the package cost a fortune and I balked at buying it. Now, at last, I've got the full package on my PC and I love it to bits.

I haven't yet been bitten by the paperless bug, but if that does happen to me then it will probably be MM which pushes me over the edge. The ability to zoom in to the large scale mapping is just so much more practical than peering through a giant magnifying glass! Playing with the bells and whistles, such as plotting transects, gives such a feeling of power that it's really quite addictive.

I should think that 1:25,000 mapping on a PDA is awesome. As I have said before I am impressed with Fugawi 1:50,000 for basic geocaching mapping. I still like to use the odd Explorer paper maps due to their scale, but again its cost, almost £8 a throw. So I do envy forester having the whole of the UK in 1:25,000 on disc. :laughing:

It's a vast resource, filling half a dozen DVD-ROMs.

Nearly 25Gb on my PC including small scale stuff, 1:50000, 1:25000, aerial photographs of England & Wales at 1:25000, all the A-Zs and some European maps as well.

Edited by Pharisee

Nearly 25Gb on my PC including small scale stuff, 1:50000, 1:25000, aerial photographs of England & Wales at 1:25000, all the A-Zs and some European maps as well.

Which is a real pain if your hard disc crashes and you have to rebuild the whole lot from CD/DVD's...........

A better excuse for Back Up I can't think of..............

(Related from experience)

Which is a real pain if your hard disc crashes and you have to rebuild the whole lot from CD/DVD's...........

A better excuse for Back Up I can't think of..............

(Related from experience)

As well as having all the original CD / DVDs, the data is backed up onto an external hard drive. As you say, reloading it all from disc is a real pain.... bin there, done that, got the T-shirt!! :laughing:

Does anyone else have memory map? I have the Lake District Copy and find it absolutely indispensable. It helps me with my walks and when out geocaching, which I am new to.

I particularly like the 3D fly-through feature.

loe3d.jpg

:laughing:

I bought mine off Ebay the full legitimate pack of mapping of the the UK 1:50 000 and 1:25 000 it was about £130. It's on the PC and the PDA it's amazing. I have also put Cachemate on the PDA. Paperless caching is a reality now.

Pat

Don't forget that for those who can't afford such resourses the OS have had availble online for some time now their free Get-a-map service, which allows you to view and print the entire country at various levels of mapping including 1:25,000 and 1:50,000. The advantage also is that this is updated regularly and so you need never really have to buy a map again.

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm