Bad Swag

Forgive me if this post is redundant. I was looking for an existing category to append to, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, it seems to me that I'm encountering more and more caches that are filled with junk such as rusty bottle caps, empty plastic baggies, broken toys, candy wrappers and stuff like that. It seems to me that people aren't adhering to the code and leaving something of equal or greater value. Not to sound negative or materialistic, but it's particularly frustrating to hike through several miles of strenuous terrain and poison oak only to discover somebody's trash receptacle.

Is there some sort of movement going on to fight this and enhance the quality of the caches? It seems to me there should be.

Forgive me if this post is redundant. I was looking for an existing category to append to, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, it seems to me that I'm encountering more and more caches that are filled with junk such as rusty bottle caps, empty plastic baggies, broken toys, candy wrappers and stuff like that. It seems to me that people aren't adhering to the code and leaving something of equal or greater value. Not to sound negative or materialistic, but it's particularly frustrating to hike through several miles of strenuous terrain and poison oak only to discover somebody's trash receptacle.

Is there some sort of movement going on to fight this and enhance the quality of the caches? It seems to me there should be.

Yep. Check my sig and spread the word!

Edited by CoyoteRed

Lead by example.

I have encountered some better caches, and not had equal quality so I didn't trade. I also have left swag in caches that were empty. I have seen a difference in the desert ammo can caches in pahrump NV as compared to ours here in the SJ valley of CA. Ours are also more often urban locations, easier to muggle and therefore not a comportable choice to leave high-quality swag. Those out on the desert are less likely to have some oddball muggle stumble on it and raid it.

We always try to leave something of equal or greater quality. We cache with our kids so they like going through the little stuff for them and we leave decent stuff for other kids. I like to bead and I am trying to come up with a useful signature item to place in the caches.

this is a losing battle. For the big cachers who do alot, it can get expensive putting a nice item in that costs a dollar or two( 1000+ caches= lots of dough) on the other hand some people run out of ideas I think of what to trade. I think the best way to go about this is to figure out a signature trade item. Something that is unique to you and may even reflect your personality. Some people trade buttons, or pins, or sometihng along those lines. You can usually find some place online that makes personal items and you can buy them in bulk for a low price. You figure if you have some personal item made that has your name on it and you pay 100-200 dollars for a 1000 of them then you actually come out better in the end and leave a nice thing behind.

I use American flag patches as my signature item. They are very nice and someone could even sew it onto their cache jacket. I have over 300 of them that I bought at an auction. Once I start to run out I have been exploring getting a patch made with Davispak on it and geocaching.

On another note, I do carry one really nice piece of swag in my bag ( usually a good metal flashlight) for trading incase I see an item I can't live without and don't want to degrade the cache. But the flashlights are $10.00 a piece so I don't trade em alot.

I was at one the other day where someone had actually broken the neck off of a beer bottle to make it fit and even signed the log as such :)

Oh, you would not believe the stuff we've found. Even some stuff so bad that it was interesting in and of itself. Things that make you wonder just what in the world where they thinking? Some even a little bit disturbing.

In the beginning, on my cache pages, I'd put, "Trade Up, Trade Equal, or Don't Trade"; because I'd put the caches out with good stuff in them. This works to some extent. Then, when I visit my caches, I take out all the McJunk + crap, business cards, religious paraphenalia , and leave a note on the cache page saying, "Went by to upgrade swag", "Removed toys", that sort of thing. It seems to've made an impact. Also, when I cache, I adhere to the "Trade Up" credo, usually leaving something good and taking nothing (or taking junk, which I throw out). I figure, if one or two cachers take note, they'll do the same and impact one or two others, and so on...

Most people don't want to spend the money to buy cool swag. It could get pretty expensive if you bought cool items for every trade.. that's one reason I have nice swag and only trade items when I find cool stuff.

But I really don't trade much. Just sign the log and i'm done. Now as for hiking miles in the hills to find "gumball maching swag," well that just plain sucks... I can understand that kind of stuff in urban caches.. (little kids like that kind of stuff.)

Edited by WxGuesser

This issue gets on my nerves a lot. The Geocaching community seems to be pretty family-oriented, full of nice people, and theres not any stupid ciminals yet. On the internet, you can't get rid of hackers. In games, you can't get rid of cheaters. With Geocaching, I think more force needs to be applied to get rid of devaluation of caches. I figured it must be young people, but I'm only fifteen and I try to trade up or take smaller things that no one wants. If you're like me and most people I know, you have plenty of things that you don't use anymore. Walk through your house and think, "What would I want to get rid of if I had a yard sale." Go through closets, clean out your basement. Most of your junk is valuable to other people.

I think this issue would be less important with bucket-sized caches and caches of that nature. I also think signature items are super awesome for caches, especially if they fit in micros.

We're not in this for the trade items, but our 6-year-old daughter is and nothing is more frustrating than hiking through thorns and poinson ivy to find dirty or mildewed items that MUST have been nice before they sat in the cache. If you're going to go to the trouble to put in nice items put them in their own plastic bag so they're nice when other cachers find them. I have started cleaning out the rusted, mildewed items and putting in clean items in clean, sealed bags so other six-year-olds don't have to experience the "bummer-of-a-cache" (as I call the gross ones :ph34r: ).

Thank you all for your comments and input. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's frustrated by this. With that said, I think I'll take a different approach and make the caches I find as good as I can. I plan to buy a whole bunch of little toys and trinkets in bulk from the Oriental Trading company so I can beef up the caches. When I stumble upon a cache that's in need of a little lovin', I'll put a couple handfuls of loot in, mostly for the kids.

I too have kids, two boys, who love caching, especially when there's a worthy find. I'd like to make sure people who follow in my footsteps find something worthy to share with their kids :ph34r:

Thank you all for your comments and input. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's frustrated by this. With that said, I think I'll take a different approach and make the caches I find as good as I can. I plan to buy a whole bunch of little toys and trinkets in bulk from the Oriental Trading company so I can beef up the caches. When I stumble upon a cache that's in need of a little lovin', I'll put a couple handfuls of loot in, mostly for the kids.

I too have kids, two boys, who love caching, especially when there's a worthy find. I'd like to make sure people who follow in my footsteps find something worthy to share with their kids :ph34r:

Perfect - just set a good example and don't worry what others did before you. Many of my hides have fallen victim to what you describe but several others have actual aquired better swag over time. Best you can do is your part to make it better.

I just recently started this sport with my friends and family. Yes, I have found several already that have deterioriated into a trash receptacle. That is definately a bummer. I make more than one stop at times, at nearby cache, to check it's contents and see if there is anything good I can add to it for the wee cachers. I know what a dissapointment it can be so I do what I can to 'upgrade' them as I go along.

I have shopped at the dollar store and found several packages that contain more than one item or toy in it. I am also very creative. One thing I've done to add to cache is to take a small amount of beads and a length of stretchy cord and placed them in a tiny baggie, I called it a 'jewelry-making kit'. (Those little alphabet beads come in large packages, as well as pony beads, and if you catch your local Hobby Lobby they run them half-price a Lot.)

A little imagination can go a long way with just a little Effort! =)

It seems pointless to me, to go hiking through all that, and NOT leave something good behind. I guess some people are just GeoTrashers, instead of GeoCachers.

Edited by kzinna

I hardly ever take anything from a cache, because I'll just accumulate worthless junk. But I always leave something good behind (at least in my opinion). I shop Wal-Mart or the dollar store for useful items--rain ponchos, small first aid kits, small bottles of hand sanitizer, tissues, as well as fun stuff such as decks of cards, or other small games. For the most part I try to leave things that, at one time or another I have not had, but have needed, while out on a cache hunt. I also individually seal these items in a waterproof bag. I know this may seem overboard, but I can't stand lame items, or good items that are soaked and useless (or are of questionable use). I find most items for $1 or less, so good doesn't have to mean expensive. If that's too much money, then I would prefer people not leave anything!

I started a few side hobbies because of wanting to make swag for geocaching. I have noticed people love home made trinkets rather then crap toys or other garbage.

This also keeps me away from watching hours of t.v. and videogame playing...

But before that i used ot find great odd, and cheap trinkets at the local thrift store, most costing around 50 cents.

Most thrift stores go to nonprofits so your giving back to the community as well.

Edited by BFPierce

SWMBO and I loaded up at the dollar store. We put a good selection in the swag bag to start out with and have managed to trade equal for the most part. I've had a few occasions where I have removed junk and left some of my swag (recharging the cache, so to speak) and we've only had to restock the swag bag once in the last several months.

I admit, I admit, we leave bad swag: McToys (the only way to get a burger, small fries and a small coke in my area without going ala carte) , marketing promotional items (magnets from businesses, etc) the fake AMEX credit cards I get in the mail, the various wristbands that are out now and a myriad of other useless items that clutter my desktop and junk drawer. Heck I even traded a shoe shine mitt for a candle and holder that someone bought from those stupid in-home candle pyramid schemes. I am sorry for forcing someone to hike through quiet, tranquil woods, in fresh air and solitude, having to listen to birds, various woodland critters or perhaps a bubbling brook to a nasty gladware container filled with broken McToys, mildewy postcards, dirty golfballs and various junk. I am sorry to have ruined your life.

Well gee, that's nice. Might I suggest you speak with somebody about your repressed anger issues?

Happy trails!

If you are referring to me having anger issues, I have none.

When we go geocaching, we never think, "Oh boy, what kind of great swag will we find". The person who introduced us to this activity told us upfront the swag items was basically junk. I dont think this was activity was ever meant to be a quasi-shopping trip.

I haven't been caching very long (2+ weeks), but I have strictly adhered to the swap eve/up rule. Mostly I haven't taken anything except for a couple of items I really wanted. One was someones geocoin (non-trackable) and one was a small carabiner that I am now using. I have left plenty if it is a cache that has room (an according to the logs, my stuff has been taken within the next couple of cachers.) I work for a hospital so I had some keychains that looked like leg bones that I left in some cemetery caches (fitting I think!)

Tomorrow I will start dropping my own geonickels that I just finished. Plus a local pharmacy sells a 5-in-1 survival kit for $1 each that I picked up some of. I package them in their own small ziplock to keep them dry & clean.

fiveinone.jpg

Since we often cache with a 3-year old the toy finds are great for him and leaving a few are inevitable.

We often go to the thrift store and buy a bag of small toys (usually action figures or animals or something) to stock our bag.

We try not to leave broken crappy toys, but good ones that other kids would enjoy finding. And we have been known to leave stuff even when there is nothing good to take.

I personally don't trade items much except to try to move travel bugs along on their journey.

Edited by teamharris

I admit, I admit, we leave bad swag: McToys (the only way to get a burger, small fries and a small coke in my area without going ala carte) , marketing promotional items (magnets from businesses, etc) the fake AMEX credit cards I get in the mail, the various wristbands that are out now and a myriad of other useless items that clutter my desktop and junk drawer. Heck I even traded a shoe shine mitt for a candle and holder that someone bought from those stupid in-home candle pyramid schemes. I am sorry for forcing someone to hike through quiet, tranquil woods, in fresh air and solitude, having to listen to birds, various woodland critters or perhaps a bubbling brook to a nasty gladware container filled with broken McToys, mildewy postcards, dirty golfballs and various junk. I am sorry to have ruined your life.

What you have revealed about your swag swap habits is quite terrible and reprehensible, and I feel very bad and very sad for you. You see, all the Christian religions, as well as Judaism and a number of other modern religions, teach that leaving bad swag such as you describe in a cache is a very bad sin, and they further teach that if you do so, then your soul will be condemmned to spending 10,000 years in Hell when you die. Worse, if you are thinking of switching religions to try to change your fate, well, I need to advise you that all the religions which believe in reincarnation, such as Jain, Hinduism, many sects of Buddhism, Shinto and many others, well, you see, they all teach that leaving bad swag in a cache will cause you to be reincarnated as a foul-smelling, runty pig (destined to be slaughtered for bacon) for 10,000 lifetimes. Worse, the New Age religions teach that leaving bad swag in a cache will cause your chakras to become very unbalanced and your aura to get smudged with greenish moldy gunk, and that you will be plagued with bad hair days for the rest of your life. Worse, the Wiccan religions teach that leaving bad swag will cause you to be plagued with little demons for the rest of your life. All religions, however, agree unanimously and multilaterally that your only hope of salvation is to start leaving trade items worth $100 or more apiece in each of the next 2,000 caches which you find, and that you must also watch all the old episodes of "Lost" on DVD as well to help atone for your swag sins. I wish you luck with this whole matter.

:unsure::unsure::blink::blink::sad:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I take full responsibility for the junk/swag/stuff in my owned caches, and do indeed make rounds to "freshen things up". This entails purging the trash, and throwing in a useful item or two.

In the end, if all owners would do this, there would be a lot less junk flying between cans, and the message might be heard that trash is not welcome in your caches. Just my$.02 :unsure:

I have no problem with that but when you hike to a cache and in it you find an old broken bicycle part, then you wanna kill someone :unsure: or better still, a old, greasy hair clip :unsure::blink:

Edited by danieloliveira

I don't think anybody goes geocaching expecting to get rich from what they find in a cache, but caches full of garbage are disappointing, particularly for newbies and kids. I may not even trade, but I still enjoy pawing through a nicely stocked cache.

Some say that one mans junk is another's treasure, but sometimes it just junk.

The first picture is what my small caches typically look like when I put them out. The second is what was left in one when I archived it (not the same caches but you get the idea).

d9284af0-176e-4ff7-a8af-c37cd9387442.jpg

9c1e79f5-789c-4868-8b5b-a110fd650020.jpg

I take full responsibility for the junk/swag/stuff in my owned caches, and do indeed make rounds to "freshen things up". This entails purging the trash, and throwing in a useful item or two.

In the end, if all owners would do this, there would be a lot less junk flying between cans, and the message might be heard that trash is not welcome in your caches. Just my$.02 :unsure:

Our owned caches are reasonably close to home and they get maintained pretty regularly, purged of trash and replenished if necessary. When we find a cache, we'll remove paper swag because here in the damp NW, its get pretty gross quickly and we'll remove old dirty golfballs which can crush smaller items.

The point to my "confession" is that life and swag are both crap shoots. What can you do? As you yourselves know you leave good or decent swag, you can sleep more soundly.

I don't care if people trade IN junk .....as long as they trade FOR junk.

What irks me is when someone trades a fake AMEX card for a cool compass or coin. After all, if they are out for a tranquil walk and not a quasi shopping trip -- why trade at all.

Cache degredation occurs when bad is traded for good. Hence the motto: "Trade fair: trade even/trade up or don't trade at all" I'm definately a "it's the journey, not the destination" type of cacher and really just cache as an excuse to visit new places, so trading is not an aspect of the game that draws me in as much as the walk. I do like geocoins and tokens. I also like moving and launching Travel Bugs....to each their own.

Personally, I very rarely take anything from a cache. If there is a little Hotwheel car (clean/new) or some sort of little girls bead kit -- then my kids get it and I trade in something of greater value. If I enjoyed the cache (which I most often do) then I put in something good (new toys etc), but take nothing out.

I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't have to buy $2-$5 items and place them in the next 500 caches you find. That would be expensive. So don't trade. Or, if you really must trade, then only trade for items that are like those you choose to place yourself.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Well, I just went to the dollar store here in our area and found:

3 cool "fatpens"

2 mini card decks with case

8 pk mini die cast cars

10 pack translucent daisy erasers

mini water squirters, animal/fish shapes (it's hot here!)

bag of large irridescent glass gems, which seem to be prevalent in some caches here. I think they are pretty, and will get enough to make a steppingstone with them.

and at our local wallyworld we had:

Twin pack levels (small, but for any use!) - $2.00

Winchester logo mini LED flashlight keychains - $1.29

Mini folding scissors (sewing section) $.50

Mini sewing kit - $.97 if you've ever torn out a hem on something, these are really nice to have with you...

4-color Wally-smilie pens - $.97

8-12 pk of "gummy critters" - $1.87

Now, I have found in caches here, beach shells, polished rocks, ordinary coins traded for unique ones, gumball machine animals and the like. We often don't take anything, but will clean out the uglies at least, and add a few of those above mentioned items...

As I have said before, we cache with our kids so we think of the other kids that also cache, went to Wally World yesterday and found some things in the party section where they put all the stuff to make up the goody bags, for girls they had little pre-made beading kits in a tube, it was 5 of them for .98, very affordable, I do beading as a hobby, I brought them home and had to immedietly pass some out to my daughter and her girlfriends that were over so I guess they are good. Also got some bouncy balls for the boys. My son has a good collection of Matchbox cars that we will start using, I will only pick out the good ones, not the older messed up ones.

I know alot of people that cache with their kids, it is really a great thing for the family and the whole treasure hunt and trading appeals to the kids, so don't clean out your caches and get rid of the toys, as long as they are not broken and clean.

As for adult swag, I am still working on some beaded signature items.

Edited by Teamcoz

beaded what kind of things? I also do beads, more than I care to admit! I have only cranked out one really nice piece in the last few years though.

I have Girl Scouts and am always looking for some really neat things to do...

I make things with seed beads, the little ones, I have done bracelets, beaded ornament covers, beaded bottle covers and other things. I am working on making a beaded keychain using the geocaching logo as a sig item. I don't get as much time to do it as I like.