Is This Too Obnoxious

nfa

I've been thinking for a while about a teeny-tiny traditional cache hidden at the end of a brutal hike and swim.

I would like to name the cache, "Ignore this Geocache", and fully describe the near-impossibility of reaching the coordinates and/or finding the container once there.

It's a pretty spot where there is certainly room for an ammo-can, but for reasons I can't fully define, I would like to place a truly small container out there...

What do you think?

Jamie - NFA

I've been thinking for a while about a teeny-tiny traditional cache hidden at the end of a brutal hike and swim.

I would like to name the cache, "Ignore this Geocache", and fully describe the near-impossibility of reaching the coordinates and/or finding the container once there.

It's a pretty spot where there is certainly room for an ammo-can, but for reasons I can't fully define, I would like to place a truly small container out there...

What do you think?

Jamie - NFA

Ignore List .. :rolleyes:

I agree with Renegade Knight -- if you want to make a statement of some sorts then please do it in a location that does not block a larger cache.

If you aren't making a statement then I do not see any reason not to put a larger cache at the end of a pleasurable hike and view. There may be some good reasons for hiding a micro in the woods but in general I think that it is just rude to do so.

I agree with Renegade Knight -- if you want to make a statement of some sorts then please do it in a location that does not block a larger cache.

If you aren't making a statement then I do not see any reason not to put a larger cache at the end of a pleasurable hike and view. There may be some good reasons for hiding a micro in the woods but in general I think that it is just rude to do so.

Yes, don't block one of the few godzillian possible places left to put a full sized container! Just because you think you have the choice to hide a cache the size of your choosing, it doesn't make you right.

I find it funny that some people think that I was making a political statement, I'm just having fun hiding caches, and had a goofy idea...there are 6 million acres of park in the adirondacks, and I'd be using up part of one of them...horrors!!!

I used up far more real-estate laying out my 21 stage 5/5 multi, which probably won't be found by more than 10 people ever...was that a political statement?...are all caches political statements, while all this time I thought it was just for fun...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA
Yes, don't block one of the few godzillian possible places left to put a full sized container! Just because you think you have the choice to hide a cache the size of your choosing, it doesn't make you right.

Methinks thou doth a bit sarcastic be. :)

I think 'making a political statement' is a fine reason to hide a micro at the end of a long and grueling trek. Seriously. Civil disobedience and all that. If someone criticizes you for not putting a larger container there, then ask them this question: "If you wanted a larger container there, why haven't you already hidden one there?"

It's your cache. Follow the published guidelines, but otherwise make it whatever you want it to be. If you know it might put people off, then consider whether it will still be worth your time anyway. Only you can decide that.

Leave it up to other cachers to decide whether it's worth their time to hunt it.

What do you think?

I think, "Why?"

There's a cacher out here who is FTF or early to find on most of my caches, and he loves the places I lead. While we hanging out at an event recently, I jokingly asked him if he would go after a cache even if it had a long hike, and would be likely too difficult for him to find...the discussion led to the silliness of micro-sized caches in the back of beyond, and something about it appealed to both of us. Since that discussion, every time he sees or emails me, he asks when I'll list the "10 mile hike to a micro" cache...

Jamie - NFA

It's your cache. Follow the published guidelines, but otherwise make it whatever you want it to be. If you know it might put people off, then consider whether it will still be worth your time anyway. Only you can decide that.

Leave it up to other cachers to decide whether it's worth their time to hunt it.

Last summer I had a great time planning and creating a 21 stage multi-cache that took me about 2 weeks to set up. It involves bushwhacking to the top of mountains, hanging off the sides of cliffs, diving for hydro stages, lengthy night hikes, a couple of paddle stages, and a bunch of hiking around my part of the ADKs.

It uses up a lot of real estate that could be used to make 21 individual caches (sorry RK and RPW), and most people will put it on their ignore list and/or never do it...It was certainly worth my time, even if nobody had ever found it...it was a blast setting it up.

Other cachers are free to seek it or ignore it as they see fit, and amazingly, a couple of cachers have found their way to the final stage.

I guess that I think about the long hike and swim to a micro cache in much the same way...it'll be fun for me...and for the few people who bother to look for it...the rest will put it on their ignore list.

Jamie - NFA

Thinking about why I started, and responded in, this thread...

to use the diverse thinkers and experience of the members of this forum to help me think about why this idea keeps sticking in my brain, and to help me clarify my reasons for wanting to do this cache.

It has served its purpose, and I thank each and every person who has posted, whether you support the idea or think it's crazy (or rude or selfish or stupid).

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

What do you think?

I think, "Why?"

There's a cacher out here who is FTF or early to find on most of my caches, and he loves the places I lead. While we hanging out at an event recently, I jokingly asked him if he would go after a cache even if it had a long hike, and would be likely too difficult for him to find...the discussion led to the silliness of micro-sized caches in the back of beyond, and something about it appealed to both of us. Since that discussion, every time he sees or emails me, he asks when I'll list the "10 mile hike to a micro" cache...

Jamie - NFA

Well, considering it has meaning, then go for it.

...but put the blame where it belongs, on your friend. :)

:D

I saw some super small pill bottles the other day, they had a small waterproof outer casing, I bet a half dozen would fil in a waterproof matchcase, and the bottle inside also looked waterproof and half the size of the outer casing.

But ask yourself "Do I really want to walk ten miles every two weeks to check it because everyone keeps DNF'ing it? :):D

If it's what you want then do it, if every cache was an ammo can we'd complain there wasn't enough variety. :D

The brutal hike and swim would keep me away. My wife and cardiologist would beat me to a pulp if I tried.

Two years ago I may have attempted it. The hike would probably stand out as a memorable accomplishment, but my online log would most likely include a DPM notice.

Over and Over and Over again I see the words "Play the game your own way".

It fits here.

I say if you want to do it then do it.

Don't let the some busy body tell you how to play.

And there is no reason to ask about it here, unles you want to stir of the old hornets nest.

Actually, it makes since to me. Unless you have an easier way to get to this place, you're probaly not going to want to lug around anything bigger then tupperware, and tupperware doesn't last long enough for those kind of conditions. A micro, say a matchsafe, it much more durable and will require little maint.

It fits here.

And there is no reason to ask about it here, unless you want to stir of the old hornets nest.

I agree! It's your cache! You will list everything in the cache page that people need to know to decide whether or not they want to do it! It's a very big and free country! There's plenty of room for all types!

It always kills me when people say "I hiked all this way only to find a micro." Were they expecting the micro to transform itself into an ammo box? Say that gives me an idea! What if you listed your cache as a micro and then hid an ammo box with only a micro inside of it! :unsure: Now that would be obnoxious! :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators

I have never really concerned myself with the cache size on a hard/difficult cache as long as I stand a very good chance of finding it in the end.

I would attempt it if I lived in the area. 99% of the time I never trade. As long as their is a log book and I can find it I'm happy.

I have had a change in heart and I personally have sworn to only to hide large and/or special caches.

Is it really the word "Micro" that's bothering everyone, or the long walk it would take to find it? :blink:

Has this game turned into size and numbers? :unsure:

No one has even mentioned what you might see, once your on the trail, or the view at the end. Yes, it may be a long hike to a "Micro", but isn't the trip there exciting enough to do it? :unsure:

Yes, it could have been another lame parking lot Micro, but is it really the size of the cache you find, or the DNF you may have to log at the end? :blink:

I say its really doesn't matter the size of the cache, place what ever you want at the end of the trail. :(

It's not all numbers and size. Its the excitement, the trip there, the scenery, the wildlife, the fresh air and exersise you get. :sad:

Its nature! At at the end of this rainbow you may find your pot of gold. You may see a sight only seen by a few people in a lifetime. I for one would not miss that for all the caches in the world. ;)

You only have one life. Make the best of it. Get out, seek any and all caches. You may be surprised where they may lead you.

Even if it is a parking lot with lamp poles. The thing is, which light pole? That's where the joy comes in.

It's not just about the numbers, or the size.

It's all about the Hunt. :(

Nuff said

Is it really the word "Micro" that's bothering everyone, or the long walk it would take to find it? ;)

Has this game turned into size and numbers? :laughing:

No one has even mentioned what you might see, once your on the trail, or the view at the end. Yes, it may be a long hike to a "Micro", but isn't the trip there exciting enough to do it? :laughing:

Yes, it could have been another lame parking lot Micro, but is it really the size of the cache you find, or the DNF you may have to log at the end? :D

I say its really doesn't matter the size of the cache, place what ever you want at the end of the trail. :laughing:

It's not all numbers and size. Its the excitement, the trip there, the scenery, the wildlife, the fresh air and exersise you get. :D

Its nature! At at the end of this rainbow you may find your pot of gold. You may see a sight only seen by a few people in a lifetime. I for one would not miss that for all the caches in the world. :ph34r:

You only have one life. Make the best of it. Get out, seek any and all caches. You may be surprised where they may lead you.

Even if it is a parking lot with lamp poles. The thing is, which light pole? That's where the joy comes in.

It's not just about the numbers, or the size.

It's all about the Hunt. B)

Nuff said

So what are you trying to say? :ph34r::D

It fits here.

And there is no reason to ask about it here, unless you want to stir of the old hornets nest.

I agree! It's your cache! You will list everything in the cache page that people need to know to decide whether or not they want to do it! It's a very big and free country! There's plenty of room for all types!

It always kills me when people say "I hiked all this way only to find a micro." Were they expecting the micro to transform itself into an ammo box? Say that gives me an idea! What if you listed your cache as a micro and then hid an ammo box with only a micro inside of it! :laughing: Now that would be obnoxious! :laughing:

I like it, mind if I steal that idea?

It fits here.

It always kills me when people say "I hiked all this way only to find a micro." Were they expecting the micro to transform itself into an ammo box? Say that gives me an idea! What if you listed your cache as a micro and then hid an ammo box with only a micro inside of it! :laughing: Now that would be obnoxious! :laughing:

I like it, mind if I steal that idea?

Feel free! :ph34r: We had a cacher out here that hid a five gallon bucket and inside that they was a slightly smaller metal tin and so and so on......... Anyhow, you get to the end and they was a tiny wooden bunny and no micro! Everyone that finds this cache says "Huh?" at that stage! :ph34r: After scrathcing your head and looking around you finally realize that the 5 gallon bucket had a false bottom and the cache was there all along! :laughing:

What do you think?

Jamie - NFA

Ignore List .. :D

Totally

There's a cacher out here who is FTF or early to find on most of my caches, and he loves the places I lead. While we hanging out at an event recently, I jokingly asked him if he would go after a cache even if it had a long hike, and would be likely too difficult for him to find...the discussion led to the silliness of micro-sized caches in the back of beyond, and something about it appealed to both of us. Since that discussion, every time he sees or emails me, he asks when I'll list the "10 mile hike to a micro" cache..

Having looked at your Profile NFA and had a virtual snoop around the caches you have placed so far, I'd say GFI Jamie. Adirondack Murder Mystery looks like it should go straight onto my wish list despite being 5375Km from home. If the quality of your existing caches is anything to go by then 10 Mile Hike to a Micro will be a kiler cache; I imagine that the final hide will be something a bit different and not just some micro-spew.

I've been toying with the idea of a multiday remote series in the Scottish Highlands with each of the stages containing a physical piece of the puzzle - just to make if virtually impossible to phone a friend or resort to Google if you want to make it in 2 days - though I doubt we'd get away with faked Crime Scenes in good old Blightey. :D D)