Do You Do It At Night?

My work schedule is such that I rarely find time to cache during daylight hours, so I find myself in the woods quite often after 10:00PM. In fact almost all of my finds (Not many but the number is slowly climbing, and I really don't give a hoot about find count etc...)were done at night after midnight. I find that night time caches add an element of difficulty, and are a lot more fun than daylight caches. Even the most mundane caches can become a ton of fun. I've met with LEO's, Park Rangers and just plain ol' weirdos in the middle of the night, and lemme tell you, that can be interesting as well. I'm wondering how many of us cache at night. I would classify myself as a night cacher almost exclusively... Anybody wanna chime in?

-Cracker in the Hat :rolleyes:

In NEFGA country, you would be called a vampire cacher. From the original vampire cacher (myself), take that as a compliment! I have found many caches at night and even went on fairly long hikes for caches in the dark. When vampire caching alone (as usual), I prefer to do it sans flashlight though I usually have one with me just in case! There's something exciting about walking in the woods in the dark and relying on your night vision to find your way. And yes.... I even done some pretty good bushwhacks in the dark with no flashlight. I've sure made some easy caches difficult!

We love night caching!

In the Deep South, and I'm sure many other places, after dusk allows for a cooler hunt. You can wear long pants and long sleeves to keep off the bugs and helps with the battle scars.

One battle scar you don't want is a poke in the eye. A cheap pair of safety glasses from your nearest Big Box store can be both stylish and excellent protection from that low hanging limb.

On pitch black nights a cheap, low-powered headlamp is just the ticket for getting around without tripping over your own feet.

Night caching certainly provides a different perspective to the experience!

I cache at night - mostly to avoid the desert heat in the summer. It is a lot more fun when you carry less than a gallon of water and aren't dripping sweat all over your glasses. I have downloaded a program that lets me determine moon rise, set and phase. I like long desert wilderness mountain climbs, and these are a lot easier with some moonlight. I have found the new generation of headlights and flashlights to be wonderful - that is either Nichia LEDs for smaller lights or Luxeon emitters for larger headlights and flashlights - both provide many hours and sometimes days of good light on a single set of batteries. The best have steps of illumination - the lower levels giving light often for over a 100 hours. Oddly the flat surfaces of caches are easier to find by the point illumination of a light. If you are close to civilization on a mountain climb than the sea of city lights below can be quite beautiful.

Yep, I love it. The finds can be more challenging, though at times easier too (ever notice on CSI how they turn off the room lights and fire up their flashlights? Focuses attention to a specific spot).

There are typically less muggles (really don't like that term...) but there can be more animal life out-and-about. Plus being a flashlight geek (Hell, I'm a technology-agnostic geek) I get to play with some pretty cool toys too. :P

With my schedule it is about the only way I get to cache semi-regularly. I typically prefer caching in the woods vs. hit-and-run urban caches.

Nope, not me. There is something about being out in the woods alone at night that scares me to death. I won't hunt the night caches around here, or hunt any caches at night. I probably would have a fit if an owl hooted nearby. Can you tell that I'm not a camper either?

Not that I think there's anything wrong with caching at night. I applaud all of you who go for it, but as a woman usually caching alone or with children, it ain't gonna happen.

"Because there are very few night caches in this area I found only two." Actually, and I'm confident that JimInPotomac will agree, the vast majority of night time caches I (We) have done have been traditional daylight caches just attempted at night. The darkness increases the difficulty to every cache. Even the most boring and mundane caches can be brought to life after dark. The solitude is also inspiring and rather cathartic at times as well. Try a cache at night, you'll love it. As an aside, we are now almost solely doing night time deep woods/hiking caches. We just sort of progressed there...The woods are great, I'll take a wooded cache over an urban micro any day! :ph34r:

I think my cache name just about says it all. I started night caching before night caching was popular. :ph34r: That is truly how I got my name. I actually think it is EASIER to find a cache at night. During the day, your focus is all over the woods. At night your focus is specifically where the light is shining and therefore you can concentrate on the "un-natural in a natural place" look. The local cachers even placed a "night" cache in honor of my 500th find to force other cachers in the woods at night. Many cachers in my area hunt at night now.

Night-Hawk

Any animal danger if doing this alone? Do any of you lone night cachers bring animal defense, and what kind?

When I was young, my friends and I used to night hike in the White Mountains of NH. Most of the time we left the lights off and let our eyes adjust, unless it was a new moon. How do the experts cache, with headlamp always on, or just lighting the gpsr screen once in awhile?

Probably one of my favorite cache memories was at night. In northwest Kansas, there's an old limestone Catholic church back a few miles on dirt roads that burned down many years ago. Just rubble now with only partial walls still standing. Didn't know what was there as it was in my early days of caching (I had forgotten what the cache page had said) before I printed off sheets or got a Palm. So my brother and I took off across the pasture with our heads down looking around to make sure we didn't step anywhere we didn't want. We got within about 75' of the church before the full moon silhouetted the ruins. It was really creepy looking. Then we kept hearing random critters shuffling through the trees and grass and that just made it even creepier. Didn't find it that night but it was well worth the trip. Its still neat during the day, but not nearly as fun.

I have yet to try finding a cache at night.. around here the woods get so black at night you can step off a road and 20 feet in you can be lost, because the forest behind my house continues for 100km up to Whistler, with nothing between (it's BC ya know) so if you get lost you really are in trouble. Although I'd still like to try it.

Someone recently did one of my caches at night and I felt a little sad because I placed the cache on a short lakeside nature trail where there are lots of interesting things to look at. I hated to think she missed(actually the cache is near the trail entrance and sometimes I wonder how many just grab and run and miss) the chance to experience and enjoy nature by hiking on down the trail.

She said she had a great time looking for this at night and so that's good. What I really want is for people to have a great time.

I'm too chicken to go deep into any kind of woods alone at night, though I would probably go with a friend. I don't WANT to meet LEO's or weirdos :laughing:

That said I have done some urban caches at night where it's much easier to be stealthy... I learned some useful tips too, like: if you're stepping around in thistles and you found the cache, do NOT set down your only flashlight onto the ground to free your hands to find the cache. Now, where did I put my light... pat, pat.. ouch!!

There are only two actual "night caches" in my area. I loved both of them. I have done a number of "regular" caches in the dark. I find that it makes some mundane caches more interesting. Everything is different at night and wooded areas are especially different at night. Some folks thing you have to be crazy to go out in the dark looking for a cache but I find it to be pretty enjoyable.

I have cached extensively at night and love it! I generally use night caching to beat the heat, but I've done it just out of sheer convenience, too. Night makes some caches easier (mostly due to decreased muggle factor) and some caches more difficult (due to lack of light).

While I agree that cachers may miss seeing great views or interesting sites at night, some caches have GREAT views at night!

I thought I was the only weird one who likes night caching. I like getting deep into the woods, finding the cache, find a place to relax and shut off my lights. There is nothing like the forest at night. I haven't found many friends willing to come along. I think being alone is a big part of the appeal. One very warm spring night , before the bugs were out, I did this and ended up falling asleep. I was awakened by a phone call on my cell from my wife.

I do give my wife my planned route and destination, in case I don't come back. It is a bit riskier in the dark.

Another thing I like to do is find geocaches without my GPS. I bring it, but I try not to use it. Instead I use a satellite photo from Google. This is only possible if the cache is near idetifiable land marks and the area has fine resolution satellite photos of it. I have found a few this way. I have yet to fined one at night without my GPS.

The Geek

We have climbed small mountains at night here and here.

Once we got lost on top of a mountain and were late getting down. We didn't bring lights. Big mistake. We had to be "rescued". here

However, since my daughter got me a LED headlight for my birthday, we have found that we enjoy night caching MUCH more. We have to travel a long way now to get new caches, and we often take the camper to a state park for a weekend, and cache out from that home base. The night caching is a great way to get those in the SP itself, while we go into nearby towns to get caches there during the day. Nobody hassles you for doing weird things in the dark when you are in a state park.

We're not huge FTF hounds, but sometimes are in the mood to go for one at night. We find it somewhat invigorating.

Once my wife and I were out at around 10:00PM and heard something running through the woods towards us - I shined my light on it, and it was deer charging us. I let out a scream (a manly scream) and it turned on a dime and ran away. It made it to within 30 feet of us, which was a bit of a rush.

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

I'm always surprised at the amount of night caching people do across the county.

In New Jersey, at least 90% of the parks close at or around dusk. The Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) are open 1/2 before dawn to 9PM.

I can think of only 2 or 3 parks that are open 24 hours.

Are most parks across the county open at night and NJ is just prudent, or is night time cache hunting a clandestine activity?

I'm wondering how many of us cache at night.

I've only been caching for a few months, but I started out almost exclusively caching at night, mostly because I live in Maryland and started caching in August, when it was HOT; I'd be running the dogs from about 7-9 - too hot to take them out earlier - then go looking for local urban caches afterwards.

However, I don't and won't do hiking caches at night, partially *because* of the dogs - too much wildlife out then, and harder to keep track of the dogs in the dark - and partially because a lot of the enjoyment of hiking for me is seeing and photographing my surroundings.

Not to mention that most trails around here are officially closed after dark. :laughing:

I am so glad I bumped into this thread! It's nice to have others share in my love for being out at night. For me, it's not so much "night" as it is "Off-Hours". I live in the Mid-West (South Dakota) and we're entering our winter season here. Our days keep getting shorter and shorter. I rarely have the energy to cache after sunset, kids in bed, dishes done, etc.... unless it's a FTF! I however, will get up very early 4:00AM~5:00AM and go out "hunting" before dawn. I like to concentrate on those darned "Blinkity Blinks" at these times. They are easier to find with a flashlight, and they are usually in places Muggles hang out. At 5:00AM, I have the places to myself (mostly). My wife is getting used to me leaving early in the morning, or at bedtime, and has even stopped calling me every 30 minutes to see if I'm OK!

-DakotaCache

I'm always surprised at the amount of night caching people do across the county.

In New Jersey, at least 90% of the parks close at or around dusk. The Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) are open 1/2 before dawn to 9PM.

I can think of only 2 or 3 parks that are open 24 hours.

Are most parks across the county open at night and NJ is just prudent, or is night time cache hunting a clandestine activity?

Depending on the source used we have either the 3rd largest or the 5th largest city park in the country. It's open 24/7. The ROADS are locked off by gates at night but access isn't forbidden. I've done several caches in the park at night. Heck, I've found myself hiking up the side of a hill on a moonless night through brush, stickers, and rocks. I've also cached up along the mountain highways, rural roads, etc. at night. The local cemetarys are closed at night and there is no way I'd violate the law for a cache. I get peeved when I see a log where someone has snagged a cache during a time that it's obviously illegal to be caching in the area.

I ran into several other cachers around 10:30 at night just last week. We were all trying for a FTF on 4 different caches that had popped up. They were all off of a rural road about 6 miles or so out of town and then another 4 - 5 miles up that road. Caching at night can be challenging but a ton of fun and it's great to run into other crazy folks out there in the dark. :laughing:

Ya know, I understand the whole tresspassing thing (Hey Sherm!), but I'd be lyin' and I wouldn't be alone if I said that I haven't found myself in a state park after closing time by...accident!?! FWIW, I have no FTF's and don't give a hoot. It's about the journey for me, there is no competition. I cache at night because I need the clarity it provides me. I cache at night because that's the only time I have...I may have cached after hours in a state park at one time or another... because...well...Try it at night and you'll see why.

{Quietly stepping down off his soap box}

-Cracker in the Hat

We've done a number of caches at night. I can be a lot of fun. There are certain locations that just beg to be done at night. We wouldn't classify ourselves as night cachers though.

Just like you, we have met the most interesting people on our night hunts.

So what are the conditions for a cache that "just beg to be done at night".

I haven't done many night caches, but this winter I will be starting to. Last Saturday I just got my package from Walmart.com containing a 6.5 MILLION Candle Power Rechargeable Spotlight (Cyclops THOR X Scout). That should light up the area for me to find caches! I might be able to find some of the pesky micros if they reflect too?

0081362801632_215X215.jpg

"I'm just walking my dog ma'am. It's dark out tonight, isn't it."

I recently visited New York from the UK and wanted to pick up my 100th whilst there, so I had a mad rush to get as many as I could before I left. In practice this meant rushing around after work in the dark trying to find caches that are not night caches. This has provided mixed results - more DNFs in the last week than ever before.

Having done this, I'm not a fan. It's all very well if you are going to a specifically night time cache, but otherwise I think I'll avoid it in future.

ZoomLens

Where we used to live (Northern California), going Geocaching at night was fun, relatively safe and still challenging, and we did it a LOT because on weekends that was a great time to get out of the house without the kids ... doing something fun together, getting out of the house, and with a goal. In fact, our 24 hour find records all take place at night, usually into the wee hours. Since moving to Maine, and having Steak working a graveyard shift job, and with the local volunteer approving caches around 9 p.m., this is the only way to get FTFs (Yes, I'm a FTFW and proud of it).

In fact, it is almost guaranteed that in the dark and rain, late at night in the woods, it is a great way to meet other local cachers! Example: GCZK40.

And sometimes, as in that case, daylight makes finding them so much easier...

:mad:

tried it once.

went for a FTF a few weeks ago at about 5:00 which is after dark now. The parks here close at dark, but I thought they would probably still be open at 5:00

anyway I got there, and although I had heard that that particular park is a big pickup spot for homosexual people looking for 'dates', I didn't know how busy it actually was after dark. So I pull in, and the cars scatter, perhaps thinking I'm a skinhead or something, I get out and start walking towards the cache, but then a few minutes later I can see from up in the woods that they have all come back. Now I don't know that I want to be alone in the woods here, and come across who knows what, or have someone come over to follow my flashlight thinking it's an invitation or something. And I certainly don't want to be caught up in some police raid for that, since I know that happens in that park sometimes, and I don't think "no, I was just geocaching" would be an accepted excuse, so I just left quickly.

Don't think I will be doing night caching again.