Gps 76csx

I have one .. It was a replacement for a North Atlantic Garmin V .. have to say I love it .. SIRF lockup is excellent, Screen is good, I run it with Great Britian Topo and its auto routing is as good as the C340 I also use

Have US City Nav 8 on order for it so I can replace my Americas Garmin V.. The two Vs will become backup units..

Feature wise the 76 CSx and 60CSx are the same .. all it is if form factor ... I preferred the "boxy" unit..

I have been using the 76CS for about eight months and upgraded to the 76CSX about a month ago. The main reason I upgraded was for the added sensitivity of the SIRF III chip, but the expandable memory is also nice. I am extremely pleased with the 76CSX. I have yet to lose a lock even under heavy canopy. I am not experiencing any of the problems some have noted, such as wandering. I had no problem adapting to the location of the buttons, frankly, I think I like them better on the top of the display now. Just make sure to run WebUpdater to keep the firmware current.

I have had a garmin 76csx for a couple of weeks. Formerly had used an older, bigger, 176c...

I'm not sure about the buttons on top, and the toggle is a bit tough to use. The toggle is loosening up a bit, or I'm developing more thumb muscles. Otherwise, it has to me, excellent features, nice screen. Also, have never lost signals, no matter where I was, in the house, car, forest. It is nice to set co-ords and follow the 'go to' line to the location, or at least a parking place nearby.

Since I'm getting (I hope) a $100.00 rebate, I really like it. With the rebate, that brings the price down into the range of many other units offering a lot less....

Luckily for me, Garmin Map Source is not locked, so I was able to download it onto this unit (it was bought with the 176c)... So, I have detailed street maps as well (though 3 years old).

I'd rate this a 9 out of 10......

I purchased the 76csx also but I am not as happy with the unit as others. I purchased it with the understanding that the USB cable would connect the unit to a PC; it does not connect anything except garmin mapsource! To connect as a USB it need to have a serial cable connection. Definitely a mislead.

Also I have asked garmin how to download a cache location and they simplw will not answer the question; they dance around the issue. I even quoted their manual indicating it would do so.

It cannot give a blank waypoint page; you have to mark your position and go in and edit every window. Again a mislead.

I have to use this unit for several functions, auto,marine, and geo and right now I'm sticking with my 48 for marine; pharos for auto and I do not know what for geocache; I'm very new to that venture.

If anyone has hints for any of these irriatations I would like to know. I would not rebuy this unit at this time; If I hadn't rebated it I would have returned it.

I am lovin' my 76CSx. This was before the latest update of the SiRF firmware.

gps1.jpg

I'm very new to this stuff but I have the 76csx and you can use easygps to download waypoints.

It cannot give a blank waypoint page; you have to mark your position and go in and edit every window. Again a mislead.

I can't figure out how to get a blank waypoint page either??

Maybe somebody knows how ???

Tim

I purchased the 76csx also but I am not as happy with the unit as others. I purchased it with the understanding that the USB cable would connect the unit to a PC; it does not connect anything except garmin mapsource! To connect as a USB it need to have a serial cable connection. Definitely a mislead.

This is not true. I have sent data via USB to my 60CSx and 76C via GSAK and OziExplorer. If your USB connection isn't working, it's very likely that you need to install the Garmin USB driver. I haven't needed to use serial since I got my 76C.

Also I have asked garmin how to download a cache location and they simplw will not answer the question; they dance around the issue. I even quoted their manual indicating it would do so.

Your data has to be in the right format (eg: it has to specify the correct icon). GC's pocket queries do this without a problem and can be xferred to the Garmin via Mapsource, GSAK, and other programs (via USB, too!).

"Mislead???" What do you mean by that?

I have to use this unit for several functions, auto,marine, and geo and right now I'm sticking with my 48 for marine; pharos for auto and I do not know what for geocache; I'm very new to that venture.

If anyone has hints for any of these irriatations I would like to know. I would not rebuy this unit at this time; If I hadn't rebated it I would have returned it.

I use mine (60CSx) for mapping 4x4 trails, vacation travelling, hiking, auto navigation, and geocaching. IMO it performs all these tasks amazingly well. It's a great do-it-all device.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

You MUST load the Garmin USB drivers if you want to use the 76CSx with your computer. I used a 76CS since last August and have now upgraded to the 76CSx. I love it.

If you need advice on downloading waypoints head on over to the Getting Started forum. There is a lot of help for you there. I have a premium membership and use GSAK to manipulate my cache data. It is quite happy to send the data to my 76CSx. Learn how to use the unit and you will find it to be an excellent purchase.

Like some others here, I also like the boxy unit. It fits firmly in my hand and I can hold the entire thing with no fear of dropping it while I manipulate the buttons with my thumb.

I have CitySelect on my unit and use it for autorouting frequently. Last week I spent several days traveling around unfamiliar towns for work and I simply entered the addresses I needed to find into the unit and it drove me to them flawlessly. As for geocaching, the unit is superb. A fast lock that holds even under cover. My 76CS couldn't hold satellites in my wife's car unless it was on the dash or had an external antenna attached. The 76CSx locks and holds satellites in her car just fine even if I'm holding the unit in my lap.

Another thing I really like about the new unit is that when I connect it via USB to my computer it stops using battery power and draws power from the USB port. A small thing but a very nice improvement. Another improvement I really like is the ability to use a 14 character name for the waypoint. I set GSAK to use the 14 character smart name and it's great.

Edited by Thrak