What A Mistake

Everyone! Grab your bats!!! There's still some life left in this horse, I swear it!!!

Dubbin, plain and simple, you have buyer's remorse.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Your Magellan's receiver is ahead of the 60cs.

Had you bought a 60cx, it would be a different story.

In all honesty, the wording of your posts IS enough to infer a significant bias toward Magellan...

Therefore, I deem your original post to be a Magellan vs Garmin TROLL post.

You've made up your mind. Some will agree, some will differ.... Life goes on.

From here forward I resign myself to NEVER read another G vs M thread, and permanently place those who start such threads in my ignore list... waste of time........

Edited by weakfish

I've noticed that Garmin users here are a lot like the Linux users you see on Slashdot and Digg. Whenever there's a problem with Windows, their solution is always "Use Linux."

Whenever someone has a problem with their Magellan here, the Garmin users always say "Buy a Garmin." Thanks a lot. That really helps someone fix their GPSr.

Always? Really? :ph34r:

Another worthless post...

To quote your sig line...

I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not

That sums it all up...

TROLL

And I notice you refused to refute the plethora of comments I made in the original post.

Your reply-fu is weak...

I stand by my gut reaction.

TROLL.

Go play with your magellan... At this point I'm having doubts you really did buy a Garmin. You've failed to mention what firmware updates, if any, you've attempted to run.. You've simply bashed an aged unit and run, and proceeded to taunt/ridicule those that had the audacity to point out your folly.

TROLL.

Edited by weakfish

Wow I am amazed at how upset some of you got over this thread. Some of you are acting like a bunch of little kids by insulting me when I never once did anything to insult anyone on here. This is not my first garmin unit and yes I do know how to use it. I am keeping it to use for the one thing that I do like about it and that is the auto routing.

I have my opinion and you have yours. If all you have are insults then don't even bother showing how childish you are by replying...

Nice post.

You primed the pump by your original post in this thread. You also have some good advice to take that would at least confirm that your 60C is working as it should.

...From here forward I resign myself to NEVER read another G vs M thread, and permanently place those who start such threads in my ignore list... waste of time........

Actually you can learn quite a bit from those threads.

For example. Magellans have some type of averaging that Garmins don't. It causes the boomerange effect, but also makes them more stable under tree cover. The ST's (newer ones don't seem to do this) would neglect to let you know they don't have a lock and use some form of dead reconing to guess your position. Handy when you walk up to the bottom of a cliff when the cache is on top and the tree cover prevents reception, a PITA on a twisty mountain road where there is turn you need to make.

Garmin on the other hand doesn't average, which lets you walk right up to the cache but also has you bounce around in the woods. It will tell you to the point of annoyance when it has lost lock, but won't take you down the wrong road from it's dead reconing. When they have a compass it's not a Tri axis so you will get annoyed at the "hold level" warning when trying to use it.

Magellan Topo has a leg up on Garmin topo since the info is about the same for topo but Magellan also includes road names. Meanwhile Garmin wins when it comes to auto routing in a hand held.

There are other differences like the SD cards Magellans had first. Plus how they use the SD cards is different.

Um, no.

I've dabbled with darn near every manufacturer's handhelds.

I have just about ZILCH to garner from most of the opinions posted here.

Note, I said opinions... Always looking for input on various software/firmware feedback.

For example. Magellans have some type of averaging that Garmins don't. It causes the boomerange effect, but also makes them more stable under tree cover. The ST's (newer ones don't seem to do this) would neglect to let you know they don't have a lock and use some form of dead reconing to guess your position. Handy when you walk up to the bottom of a cliff when the cache is on top and the tree cover prevents reception, a PITA on a twisty mountain road where there is turn you need to make.

Yup. knew that. Still apples to oranges when you consider the units the OP was speaking about....

Garmin on the other hand doesn't average, which lets you walk right up to the cache but also has you bounce around in the woods. It will tell you to the point of annoyance when it has lost lock, but won't take you down the wrong road from it's dead reconing. When they have a compass it's not a Tri axis so you will get annoyed at the "hold level" warning when trying to use it.

Actually, if you've been following the updates of the past 6 months, this isn't an issue for Garmin units any longer.....

Magellan Topo has a leg up on Garmin topo since the info is about the same for topo but Magellan also includes road names. Meanwhile Garmin wins when it comes to auto routing in a hand held.

So the street names included in the Garmin Topo maps, that just happen to match the signs in front of my home, and all around my neighborhood, are wrong??

Guess I better erase it from my GPSr and send the cd back.. Thanks for the heads up.

There are other differences like the SD cards Magellans had first. Plus how they use the SD cards is different.

Yup, I guess there's a big difference between SD and transflash.

Thanks for totally wasting my time, and for being 100% wrong.

Get a job for the weather service... At least they don't have standards for accuracy.

Another worthless post...

Team Dubbin, I guess I don't really understand why you won't answer any helpful questions in this thread? not all the people here are garmin VS magellan. I would really like to find out what's up with your 60cs but you avoid questions at all costs. my guess is you did buy a used 60cs(broken) and are taking out you anger/mistake on everyone around you. feel free to clear this up, though I'm sure you won't. answer some questions and get some HELP from the people here.

Heres a thought, what type of gps does most of the people locally near you use? when the cache was 75feet off with your 60cs maybe it was hid by a magellan user? (I have only ever seen errors this big in my magellans, again I have owned 6magellans and 3garmins)

I was amazed when I first switched from magellan to garmin. I had owned a sportrac map, 2Xmeridian gold's, explorist200, explorist210, and more recently a explorist 400. obviously I must have liked the magellans or why would I have bought so many? ALL the older magellans would have very large errors in position sometimes, you really never knew when to beleive the thing, and thats not even talking boomerang effect. the boomerang effect was more than annoying, I am not a fast walker and even in a very open area I would have to stop well before a cache to let the gps "catch up", this really sucks during Mosquito season. The only magellans I have owned that were OK were the 200/210,(except all the explorist are really lacking in being able to customize them, even the older magellans are better). The 400 also had very big position error sometimes, putting my 200ft off from a cache out in the open. the 400 also could only get within 40ft of coords that it took. (I beleive it was defective, and sent it back where I bought it and got a 60cx in return)

with the garmin gps receivers I have owned(legendC & 60cx) I have never over shot a cache or been more than 30ft off on coords(as long as owned takes good coords). When I switched I went from a meridian gold to a legendC, I was very disapointed in how I HAD TO hold the unit properly or I would even loose signal out in the open(screen up, horizonal is how to hold a etrex). I was used to throwing my meridian in my pocket and only pulling it out for reference. This was the only thing I didn't like, as long as I held the unit properly I would always walk right to the cache. I am really happy with the 60cx because the only thing I didn't like out the legendC isn't an issue. I keep it in my pocket again and only use my gpsr for reference. I do miss how nice the USB interface/geocache mode/data card management is on the explorist, but still wouldn't buy another magellan. I don't miss self deleting waypoints, positions errors, poor customer service, and A__hole magellan owners.

Edited by hogrod

I've noticed that Garmin users here are a lot like the Linux users you see on Slashdot and Digg. Whenever there's a problem with Windows, their solution is always "Use Linux."

Whenever someone has a problem with their Magellan here, the Garmin users always say "Buy a Garmin." Thanks a lot. That really helps someone fix their GPSr.

Yeah, it's annoying when people say that, UNLESS they are willing to walk the walk by buying me a unit! :ph34r:

Another difference is that magellan has elevation info in their topo so you get accurate elevations (unlike garmin who relies on external methods). This helps if you make a route across terrain the magellan can give you altitude profile before you actually make a track. That would be a nice feature.

...From here forward I resign myself to NEVER read another G vs M thread, and permanently place those who start such threads in my ignore list... waste of time........

I agree, it seems the only one who hasn't really added any info to this thread is the OP. I would like to know more about his issues and what firmware he is running and all of that but I really think his post was more for venting and he wasn't interested in opions or fix's.

How about it OP....what was your purpose in starting this thread??

Wow, what a thread....

I have a brand new eXplorist 500 and took it out to check on my tree-covered cache.

I was pleased to see that the GPS held a steady lock on the location - under the trees.

This device is right-sized, easy to use, has a quick startup and quickly finds and holds on to all the statellites it finds....

FYI - Matt

I agree, it seems the only one who hasn't really added any info to this thread is the OP. I would like to know more about his issues and what firmware he is running and all of that but I really think his post was more for venting and he wasn't interested in opions or fix's.

How about it OP....what was your purpose in starting this thread??

Just because the cx is more sensitive, it is just as or less accurate than the cs. The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

I agree with Team Dublin. Magellan is better suited to mature audiences and keep the bells and busted readings for Garmin kids.

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :ph34r:

How do the two stack up for you when it comes to locating caches? Oh...

ouch, I've been stung. :ph34r:

[

The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

I agree with Team Dublin. Magellan is better suited to mature audiences and keep the bells and busted readings for Garmin kids.

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :ph34r:

I guess I'm a Garmin "Kid" as I like the feature set and have used many of them. I dont see where haveing a good featureset is a detraction to a gps unless it makes it difficult to use. Mine is no harder than any I have tried (lowrance and garmin and some limited magellan). One new feature I recently discovered was proximity detection. I can set a radius around a waypoint and the gps warns me when I enter and leave that radius. This is a function that my old lowrance aviation gps had and warned me when I was entering restricted airspace.

Why don't you jump out of a plane! I'd like to know how the jump master works.

I might as well add my 2 cents worth since I have owned both at SporTrak and now own a 60CS. I agree with several of the posts that the Magellan is better under heavy tree cover. It doesn't seem to have much effect in Idaho where I do a lot of my caching, but when I am Houston I really notice the difference. Guess the trees hold more moisture there.

I have taken a lot of SH*T from Renegade Knight about the boomerang effect on my SporTrak. There is not doubt in my mind that it exists.

My first 60CS sucked. It had a major problem, but I can attest to Garmins quality of customer support. They made suggestions on how to fix the problem and when that didn't work they had me send it in and I got a new unit that had worked very well.

The customizability of my Garmin far exceeds my Magellan.

For finding caches they both work very well.

Another difference is that magellan has elevation info in their topo so you get accurate elevations (unlike garmin who relies on external methods). This helps if you make a route across terrain the magellan can give you altitude profile before you actually make a track. That would be a nice feature.

Technically, the Garmin topos DO have elevation data. But you are right in that the data is not used for track recording or track plotting.

GeoBC

I guess we could all just stick to a compass and map and not have these discussions at all :-)

GeoidPS, I see your a CS owner youself. Doesnt' the CS have all the cool functions like fishing times, sun and moon, tides, jumpmaster, area calculation, .......?

[

The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :)

I guess I'm a Garmin "Kid" as I like the feature set and have used many of them. I dont see where haveing a good featureset is a detraction to a gps unless it makes it difficult to use. Mine is no harder than any I have tried (lowrance and garmin and some limited magellan). One new feature I recently discovered was proximity detection. I can set a radius around a waypoint and the gps warns me when I enter and leave that radius. This is a function that my old lowrance aviation gps had and warned me when I was entering restricted airspace.

Why don't you jump out of a plane! I'd like to know how the jump master works.

Edited by kb9nvh

Um, no.

I've dabbled with darn near every manufacturer's handhelds.

I have just about ZILCH to garner from most of the opinions posted here.

Note, I said opinions... Always looking for input on various software/firmware feedback.

Yup. knew that. Still apples to oranges when you consider the units the OP was speaking about....

Actually, if you've been following the updates of the past 6 months, this isn't an issue for Garmin units any longer.....

So the street names included in the Garmin Topo maps, that just happen to match the signs in front of my home, and all around my neighborhood, are wrong??

Guess I better erase it from my GPSr and send the cd back.. Thanks for the heads up.

Yup, I guess there's a big difference between SD and transflash.

Thanks for totally wasting my time, and for being 100% wrong.

Get a job for the weather service... At least they don't have standards for accuracy.

Let's recap.

Magellan has used SD cards for some time. Garmin just started with the commony available cards. Garmin did try propriatary cards early on. However for all intents and purposes my statement was valid.

Topo. Since my Garmin topo doesn't have road names on it, and you are the only person who has ever said they have seen them I'll chalk it up to a fluke. Magellan topo on the other hand has been widely reported nationwide as showing the road names. That's not a fluke. For magellan the fluke would be someone saying they don't see them in their area.

You have to hold the Garmin GPS levle for it's compass to work correctly. That won't change with firmware any more than a firmware update will change a black and white GPS to color. The limitation is in the compass. As for letting you know you have lost lock, I hope Garmin hasn't lost their notification. Just the beeps.

Oh and about wasting your time. Since you enjoyed yourself posting that you can thank me any time for making your day that much brighter by giving you the chance to be petty. You may not have made the world a better place but at least you have given it a better warning about what kind of person you are.

Edited by Renegade Knight