My Cache Idea

unicyclist

My friend has given me permission to place a cache on the side of his ranch. I would like to put a Large size container out by the road. Normaly I would not like this idea but I thought if I have a way to protect it, it would be better.

I plan on building a box that would hold a five gallon bucket. The box would be raised off the ground to get it away from moisture. The box would have a lock on it to keep it from opening.

868003969_m.jpg

I would paint the outside to make it look like its supposed to be there. :rolleyes:

Tell me the bad parts about a cache like this so I can improve on it.

THANKS

Edited by unicyclist

First, let's go with the "Why not keep it simple?" question.

Why not keep it simple? I have a full size cache in an ammo can, not more than 20 feet off a country road. It isn't an exciting hike, but it is a lovely spot by a creek. It's been there a couple of years now. It gets "enough" visitors, but not "too many" and the trades seem to be reasonable. Most comments are positive.

Sticking to your request:

If you put out a box, people will notice it. It the box is locked, they will think there is something valuable in it. If they think that, it will become very attractive.

Not all people can close a bucket properly.

Critters will live in there.

Wood rots.

yes thats just the same. Mine would be outdoors. Thanks for the picture.

Any cons for this type of container?

Edit: oops didnt notice Team Neos post

But I would like to have a cache that is larger than an ammo can. any ideas?

Edited by unicyclist

yes thats just the same. Mine would be outdoors. Thanks for the picture.

Any cons for this type of container?

Edit: oops didnt notice Team Neos post

But I would like to have a cache that is larger than an ammo can. any ideas?

This is beside my house so I can keep an eye on it. If it was in an area that is not close to someone there is a good chance someone will break into it. You would have to use the proper wood , and what about bugs. I spray around mine so there has not been a problem with that.

I've had a 5 gallon bucket in the woods for almost 2 years now without a problem. Just hidden next to a tree.

In fact, I adopted and relocated a 24 gallon action-packer that's also just out in the woods..for over a year on that one (and a couple of years in its previous spot).

On a recent road trip, I found three 5-gallon bucket caches in Blanding, UT. That seems to be the "cache style" in that community. :rolleyes:

One was in front of a rock business, another was in a vacant lot next to a house, the other was in the side yard of a house. That size cache can sure hold some large items. thumbsup.gif

My friend has given me permission to place a cache on the side of his ranch. I would like to put a Large size container out by the road. Normaly I would not like this idea but I thought if I have a way to protect it, it would be better.

I plan on building a box that would hold a five gallon bucket. The box would be raised off the ground to get it away from moisture. The box would have a lock on it to keep it from opening.

868003969_m.jpg

I would paint the outside to make it look like its supposed to be there. :rolleyes:

THANKS

Have you ever seen a phone junction box?

Take a cruise around the area and see what kind of "structures" and items sit around in plain view... What about an old trough? Knock out the bottom and set anything you want inside. Just a stack of cinder blocks can be innocuous. perhaps a large, but fake, pile of brush - imagine gluing sticks all around the outside of a just about any shelter you might desire. If you want to spend some money you can always put in a mini-shed or one of those suburban trash can protectors. Leave in plain sight or stash it behind a slight rise or the afore-mentioned fake brush pile. .. What about parking an old van on the site?

I would buy one of those big 40 qt. milk cans. Pour some cement in the base and center a pipe holder. Fill it almost to the top with sand and use some veggie oil around the sides. Pour a cement top with a pipe hole in the middle, some rebar for extra support. Then when its dry pop the top, dump the sand, place in a piece of pipe and top it off with a dummy mailbox. Drill a hole in a 4x4 that is the diameter of the pipe. When they find it they'll have to pop off the mailbox and cement plug to get to the goodies. That's what I would do anyways. Swizzle

Have you ever seen a phone junction box?

Take a cruise around the area and see what kind of "structures" and items sit around in plain view... What about an old trough? Knock out the bottom and set anything you want inside. Just a stack of cinder blocks can be innocuous. perhaps a large, but fake, pile of brush - imagine gluing sticks all around the outside of a just about any shelter you might desire. If you want to spend some money you can always put in a mini-shed or one of those suburban trash can protectors. Leave in plain sight or stash it behind a slight rise or the afore-mentioned fake brush pile. .. What about parking an old van on the site?

How bout a privy? :)

Usually caches are simply hidden by rocks, sticks, brush, or under logs, rocks, etc. A box with no purpose would just stick out to any average geocacher.

Ah-hah... you said "Usually" ... Why not hide something in plain sight? The key to successful camouflage is that the average person doesn't notice the item or if he/she does see it then they dismiss it as being just another normal part of the landscape.

A pile of sticks in the middle of nowhere may be far more noticeable than a telephone junction box standing tall and proud at the property line. ... ditto for a fire hydrant... Shoot, you could quite possibly just have a piece of bright green pipe sticking out of the ground and no one would ever think of stopping to check it out.

It's all about location - location - location. Put the cache in something that one typically sees on the fenced edge of the ranch. It can be as big as an abandoned horse trailer or nothing more than a fake bluebird nesting box.

Like I said take a trip around the area and see what is already there.

top it off with a dummy mailbox.... they'll have to pop off the mailbox...

I have always felt uncomfortable meddling around other folks' mailboxes. Perhaps it's because I live in Alabama, but I think the chances of my getting shot, dogbit, or introduced to the nearest deputy sheriff would increase greatly that way. I'm sure it would be my loss, but I'd probably give a mailbox cache a pass.

have always felt uncomfortable meddling around other folks' mailboxes. Perhaps it's because I live in Alabama, but I think the chances of my getting shot, dogbit, or introduced to the nearest deputy sheriff would increase greatly that way. I'm sure it would be my loss, but I'd probably give a mailbox cache a pass.

That's understandable. How about a fake flower box? A 5 gallon crock in a flower/rock garden? Sink a cache in a small KOI pond. The possibilities are endless. My main question would have to be this; when you have access to a whole ranch why put it in the front yard? I know there are a few car hunters that don't want to walk out of view of their vehicle, but most of us are in it for the hunt. I think that's obvious by the amount of ,TNLNSL, that I see. Swizzle

THANKS

The only bad part I can think of is that I'm not likely to get to Lubbock any time soon :unsure:

Other than that... go for it! I love to see people try creative ideas. The worst that can happen is you'll decide not to do it again and try something else. Have fun! Take your ideas and fly with them!

A mailbox like this? http://www.untitledname.com/archives/uploa...-box-harlem.jpg

I think I would definatly enjoy finding one of those out in the middle of nowhere. :mad:

But I am looking for a better description of swizzles idea. I get confused every time I read it :(

I would buy one of those big 40 qt. milk cans. Pour some cement in the base and center a pipe holder. Fill it almost to the top with sand and use some veggie oil around the sides. Pour a cement top with a pipe hole in the middle, some rebar for extra support. Then when its dry pop the top, dump the sand, place in a piece of pipe and top it off with a dummy mailbox. Drill a hole in a 4x4 that is the diameter of the pipe. When they find it they'll have to pop off the mailbox and cement plug to get to the goodies. That's what I would do anyways. Swizzle
Edited by unicyclist

There is always the "Wishing Well" idea. If your friend has given you permission to place a cache on the side of his ranch, near the road then a Wishing Well would not be that far out of place.

It has a roof, and has a large enough area to hide a 5 gallon bucket inside. Just make it about three feet tall, and three feet around with a pitched roof.

Paint it white, or stain the wood ala natural, add a bucket and rope for style, and no one will be the wiser.

Except us cacher's of course. Fill the bucket with some great swag, and they'll flock to it.

We have one here in Myrtle Beach, and everyone that finds it think's its cute, and its a huge hit.

make a wish by chuck & Janice (GC3588)

I don't have any pics of my mailbox idea. The sand in the middle creates a cavity for your hides. Maybe I could make it sound a bit simpler. Pour some cement in the base. A good 6 to 8 inches should do ok. Shove a pipe into the center of the cement, fill up to the neck with sand while insuring that the pipe is still straight. Next take some veggie oil and lube up the top of the milk jug. This keeps the cement from sticking to the can. Then top it off with more cement. You'll only want maybe a 3 to 4 inch thick top. Add some rebar or coat hangers or some type of stiff metal to keep the cement from crack with everyone lifting it and moving it. Then take a 4x4 with a predrilled hole that slides over the pipe and make an indent in the cement so that the 4x4 looks like it sets into the cement. Then while the cement is drying attach the mailbox to the 4x4. Once its dry then just slide the mailbox over the pipe and you're all set. Once they find the cache they'll have to take off the mailbox and remove the pipe and pull the plug to get to it. Unless you want to attach the plug to the pipe so that all pulls up as one unit. Swizzle

what i would do here is make the box (according to your pic) in such a way as to be opened from the bottom, with the opening mechanism recessed up in the bottom. Ie, you would have to get under it to even see that it could be opened.

Suppose that about an inch from the 'bottom' of the box is a shelf that holds the bucket. Then suppose that the 'bottom' panel of the box (still slightly recessed, say, an inch or so) is actually two panels side-by-side. To open the box you would have to reach underneath, push up on a panel and then slid it over the other panel. Then you could reach up into the void of the box and pull the bucket off it's shelf.

Paint the whole thing black. hell, put it close the fence and put "caution, bees" on it and make the cache page bee themed. Let your imagination go...

THANKS

Uh, now I will know what to look for?

Hey now, the locals are not supposed to read the forums :D

Donning orange vest, hard hat and clipboard to blend into background so you will never notice I am here. :)