History Caches

GeoCacheEngineer

TrailGators @ Jul 4 2006, 08:51 AM)

The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

You have to go to another website to come to the forums. How is that any different?

Its the same password, the same login name. Its even the same company. The only real difference that I see is you don't get a smiley. I happen to like both sites and they each have their uses. But it really is no different than coming to the forums.

Edited by CO Admin
The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

Because a historic site by itself is not a geocache. Someone needs to place a geocache there. Once done, that's a geocache. Submitting a "place" is officially not recognized as being a (capital G) geocache.

I certainly don't want to turn this into a argument about virtuals, but the management here at geocaching dot com have made a distinct focus for this site to list geocaches. That is, containers hidden somewhere. Searching for those containers is considered geocaching.

Again, if you want to participate in another acitivity, please do. But that doesn't make it geocaching.

Mopar had a great quote a while back: "Just because something is fun doesn't make it geocaching."

Jamie

Because a historic site by itself is not a geocache. Someone needs to place a geocache there. Once done, that's a geocache. Submitting a "place" is officially not recognized as being a (capital G) geocache.

I certainly don't want to turn this into a argument about virtuals, but the management here at geocaching dot com have made a distinct focus for this site to list geocaches. That is, containers hidden somewhere. Searching for those containers is considered geocaching.

Again, if you want to participate in another acitivity, please do. But that doesn't make it geocaching.

Mopar had a great quote a while back: "Just because something is fun doesn't make it geocaching."

Jamie

How did this get all twisted around to us submitting a place? We were asking for an attribute to say a geocache is historical. I feel like we are playing the game of telephone here...

My idea is for there to be a similar arrangement made between the History Channel and GeoCaching.com where the History Channel could dub a historical place as a history cache site and GeoCaching users can get appropriate credit for the find.

How did this get all twisted around to us submitting a place? We were asking for an attribute to say a geocache is historical.

The OP's original idea is that historical places be deemed geocaches. The idea for an attribute didn't come up until later in the thread.

Jamie

That is where Waymarking comes in . . .

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . <_<

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :huh:

Now you're showing your true colors. :unsure:

Apparently all you really want is to incease your find count on geocaching.com. If your passion is to visit historic sites it wouldn't matter if you learned about it from a website, found it by reading a flyer, or heard about by word of mouth.

I was being honest. If you knew me you would know how find count is not important to me. Thanks for ASSumming. The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

I agree completely what is really the difference of going to a virtual and retrieving information or posting a picture at that virtual and finding a microscopic nano micro that you can barely sign? Nothing it is the challenge of the hunt more than retrieving the treasure. Sometimes the hunt and the location are the treasure. How many times do you see posts that TNLN and just SL. I like the concept of Waymarking I just don'tunderstand why it has to be seperate. Why can't that be another folder in the profile instead of jumping from one site to the other?? Just wondering!

Edited by jlondon1963
That is where Waymarking comes in . . .

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . <_<

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :huh:

Now you're showing your true colors. :unsure:

Apparently all you really want is to incease your find count on geocaching.com. If your passion is to visit historic sites it wouldn't matter if you learned about it from a website, found it by reading a flyer, or heard about by word of mouth.

I was being honest. If you knew me you would know how find count is not important to me. Thanks for ASSumming. The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

I agree completely what is really the difference of going to a virtual and retrieving information or posting a picture at that virtual and finding a microscopic nano micro that you can barely sign? Nothing it is the challenge of the hunt more than retrieving the treasure. Sometimes the hunt and the location are the treasure. How many times do you see posts that TNLN and just SL. I like the concept of Waymarking I just don'tunderstand why it has to be seperate. Why can't that be another folder in the profile instead of jumping from one site to the other?? Just wondering!

I agree. Plus I haven't figured out how to download a PQ of waymarks in my area. I typically run a PQ and dump it into my geepus and Palm and I'm off caching! There are some Waymarking categories that would fit well into a geocaching style hunt.

The attribute idea is neat. Anyone have an idea for an icon? I don't know what the selector attribute looked like.

Great idea.

The Icon solution is nice but it does not provide an answer to being able to have history caches at sites we are prohibited from placing actual physical caches at. As I understand it we cannot put a history cache or any type of cache at a National Historic park.

There are ways around it.

I like the icon but it is more US oriented than global.

Yeah, equating history with a guy with a gun probably wouldn't see it used much overhere. Except for the caches placed in fortresses and the like :rolleyes:

We also have what we call "thong muggles" out here. I wonder what the icon would look like that warned about those? :o

Ooooooooh can we have some of those, please? :rolleyes:

I like the idea of an icon for the attribute...I make it a point to try and figure out which caches are near or have something to do with some aspect of history whenever I can (I especially like visiting battlefields from the Revolutionary war and the War of Northern Aggression). I liked doing virtuals like that, but did not care for the virtuals that were every local McD's or whatever. I have looked at the Waymarking site, and it just leaves me cold...there is something about it I can't put my finger on, but it just doesn't seem as "clean and simple" and easily understandable as geocaching.com. Anyway, anything that would encourage more history caches, I'm for.