History Caches

GeoCacheEngineer

This is a letter I sent to saveourhistory.com. I thought I could post it here as a starter on the topic of creating a new "History Cache" category.

History is not just fact kept in books, it is places where things happened. With that said there is a new activity called GeoCaching where people from all over the world use their GPS receivers and go to defined coordinates to find treasure. Currently GeoCaching.com is the source for user to get the coordinates to locate these treasures. My idea is for a teaming up of the History Channel and GeoCaching.com to create a history cache for users like myself to

hunt and find.

I have a couple of examples of such a type of history cache that I found to be very educational and enjoyable. It is the grave of a black slave known as "Blind Tom". He is purported to have been laid to rest north east of Columbus, Georgia. A traditional cache is located in the area to honor him and it requires visitors to sign a log, hidden in a container, to gain credit for the visit. Another example is some twenty miles north in West Point, Georgia where a virtual cache exist to educate visitors about the last general of the Civil War to loose his life as a result of combat. There are countless opportunities for such historical locations that could be made into history caches for user like myself to find and learn about its history. Locations could extend from here in my own back yard to across this country as well as across this entire planet.

There is currently an example of how such a system could work. GeoCaching.com has teamed up with GeoSociety.org and created what is known as an EarthCaches. This is an educational cache where

visitors learn about the earth's rare and unique geology at different places all around the world. My idea is for there to be a similar arrangement made between the History Channel and GeoCaching.com where the History Channel could dub a historical place as a history cache site and GeoCaching users can get appropriate credit for the find.

http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/

I really like the idea too! You could add some permanent historical reading material to the cache to differentiate it from regular caches! This would be really great idea for all, but especially for kids. When the family is out searching for hidden treasures they could stop and hit some "History caches" too! Imagine finding a cache that tells you about a lesser know battle while you are looking at the actual surroundings where the battle took place! Way cool! :)

This is a fun idea. One of the things I liked about virtual caches was the frequent historical aspect to them. I think some people were really opposed to them because there was no actual cache container hidden.

I believe that waymarks have taken the place of new virtuals. I have looked at the waymark site several times, but can't really seem to figure it all out yet.

Last year I held an event highlighting the history and the historical places of Green Bay complete with temp caches. I got the blessings from the Mayor, the county historical society, and various historical homes/museums. It was an overwhelming success! Some of these places I am looking at to get caches placed there permenantly.

History is all around us. I love it and seek historical places when ever possible. Making these places a special cache type might inspire others to just go out and see some of the past even if its only to get a cool icon added to their stats.

Edited: spelling

Edited by AstroD-Team

Many of the New Mexico caches have interesting historical facts incorporated into them. I just found a couple about Billy the Kid ("Brushy's Revenge" and "Pals"), and my "Tomé Cache" is near a jail from around 1870 where he was held. Also in the area, "Dos Equis" explores the history of acequias in NM, "Peralta Cache" is at the site of the last Civil War battle in NM, "Coronado's Route" and "Puerta del Sol" are along the Camino Real and make note of that. Because many of my first cache finds had a historical story to tell, I believe geocaching has a tremendous educational capability...depending on the hider! This would be a great addition--an indication of WHICH caches have historical value.

I really like the idea too! You could add some permanent historical reading material to the cache to differentiate it from regular caches! This would be really great idea for all, but especially for kids. When the family is out searching for hidden treasures they could stop and hit some "History caches" too! Imagine finding a cache that tells you about a lesser know battle while you are looking at the actual surroundings where the battle took place! Way cool! :laughing:

The places that Geocaching takes us is the primary reason that we got started and stay involved as a family. We try to discover many interesting places along the way that will lead to more hands on learning experiences. I ESPECIALLY would love the idea of being able to quickly search and find on a category of history. We have found MANY very interesting discoveries along the geocaching route that we have passed many times along the same roads. One very good multi-cache recently hunted described the entire battle of Pensacola, FL and took us to locations that we have passed several times but never stopped to read the signs along the way.

Great idea for a new selectable feature.

I really didn't get it who decide which cache belongs to that category and what kind of caches should be accepted?

I was wondering that too. We have a nearby cache that documents a battle in the French and Indian War - a very little known location that has a historical marker in a very well hidden location. One of my favorite caches. That'd be fine.

There's a new cache listed only 30 feet from where I found my first geocache in March of 2001. That's history for me. Should that get a historical cache icon?

And the more I think of this, the more I think "Historical Information" is an attribute instead of a cache type.

Yep, that pillar would do it! It's the perfect icon. An owner-selected attribute is the best idea. If there are owners that don't have it selected after it's added, any cacher who believes it might apply could email the owner and suggest adding the attribute.

I really didn't get it who decide which cache belongs to that category and what kind of caches should be accepted?

I was wondering that too. We have a nearby cache that documents a battle in the French and Indian War - a very little known location that has a historical marker in a very well hidden location. One of my favorite caches. That'd be fine.

There's a new cache listed only 30 feet from where I found my first geocache in March of 2001. That's history for me. Should that get a historical cache icon?

And the more I think of this, the more I think "Historical Information" is an attribute instead of a cache type.

We definitely were talking about your first example. As far as your second example, perhaps someday students will read about Markwell finding his first geocache and then that cache would qualify as a History cache! :P But on a more serious note, I agree that your attribute idea is a cleaner solution and fits nicely into the existing system. :blink:

There was a similar thread last month, and in my post there I came out in favor of an owner-selected attribute, rather than a cache type. There are already thousands of worthy historic caches out there, which would benefit from an attribute. Some are traditionals, some are multicaches, some are virtuals, etc. When traveling to a new area, this would be high on my list of criteria for selecting caches to find.

If there is to be a new category called HistoryCache, my view is a big "thumbs down." That view is tainted by the experience with Earthcaches. I would change my view if someone like The History Channel or National Geographic paid a whole ton of money to Groundspeak so they could buy more servers and pay their volunteer cache reviewers. :P

I came up with 2 quick icons:

9de01b27-62fd-4922-9e62-c2d94b3a2683.jpg

The "H" one - trying to emulate the History Channel, but I also realize that it's not multi-lingual. The graduation cap was trying to indicate that you'd "learn something" by visiting this cache.

I like the column better.

Edited by Markwell

I fall on the side of the icon, (although if the History channel wants to sponser some caches I'm all for that too.) Really doesn't matter what the icon is people will mouse over it find out what it is and go from there. My initial impression with the column is that it is more architectual history, I wondered briefly about using a shilouette of the North American style historic markers but a quick search for british markers shows that that shape is not universal either. What about an open book graphic that would stand for something like educational?

bwmick

Edited by bwmick
What about an open book graphic that would stand for something like educational?

Excellent idea. Easily associated with reading, as in "I have to do some reading on this cache".

A book would work! Here are some book ideas:

1 64135a67-7f08-4788-8cbe-d80a64e4cd08.jpg 2 ab3a05d2-ed05-46ec-88ac-7a0759425ab4.jpg 3 e4218b5b-fe17-44d3-a863-ee017d0cdf07.jpg 4 7cdae9d8-8473-41b4-90e0-bf0071d57062.jpg

A scroll might also work.

The attribute idea is neat. Anyone have an idea for an icon? I don't know what the selector attribute looked like.

I would like to see an attribute for historic areas. I travel a lot and historic caches would be the kind I would want to visit. How about a big H for the icon?

The Icon solution is nice but it does not provide an answer to being able to have history caches at sites we are prohibited from placing actual physical caches at. As I understand it we cannot put a history cache or any type of cache at a National Historic park. Here in Georgia the same thing is true for the state parks historical or otherwise. In my mind it is about the adventure not about the boxes with cheap toys in them. Just think of how great it would be to demonstrate to these bureaucrats that decided it was a good idea to kick us out of there parks and sites that cachers are responsible and for the most part honorable folks and deserve to play their sport in their parks and sites. Just my $0.02 worth

Edited by jpmoncus

That is where Waymarking comes in . . .

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . :laughing:

The cache locations you are talking about could be part of Multi-caches where someone visits the location, gets the information, and then goes to another location to find the container to sign a log book.

The Icon solution is nice but it does not provide an answer to being able to have history caches at sites we are prohibited from placing actual physical caches at. As I understand it we cannot put a history cache or any type of cache at a National Historic park. Here in Georgia the same thing is true for the state parks historical or otherwise. In my mind it is about the adventure not about the boxes with cheap toys in them. Just think of how great it would be to demonstrate to these bureaucrats that decided it was a good idea to kick us out of there parks and sites that cachers are responsible and for the most part honorable folks and deserve to play their sport in their parks and sites. Just my $0.02 worth

Yep, but at this site that's what virtual caches were, now they are waymarks.

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . :laughing:

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :laughing:

The Icon solution is nice but it does not provide an answer to being able to have history caches at sites we are prohibited from placing actual physical caches at.

I would think the park administrators who have already banned these activities over yonder would care little about whether the "History" icon sits in the Attributes or the Type section of the cache listing.

The Icon solution is nice but it does not provide an answer to being able to have history caches at sites we are prohibited from placing actual physical caches at.

I would think the park administrators who have already banned these activities over yonder would care little about whether the "History" icon sits in the Attributes or the Type section of the cache listing.

Plus there are plenty of historical sites that could hold a cache. Some of the lesser known ones are actually better places to put a cache! :laughing:
Having a little trouble equating true histrical sites with a system of listing every McDonalds restraunts as well as every public pay phone in existance, just to name a few.

Good examples of what used to qualify for virtuals and locationless on geocaching.com. Now you're trying to equate visiting a historic site to searching for a box in the woods.

The point is that this site emphasizes geocaching as an activity in which one finds a container. If you want to participate in some other activity, feel free, but that doesn't make it geocaching.

Fortunately, there's a solution for that, too. Waymarking was designed for just this type of thing. On the Waymarking site, you can submit and search for a horde of different types of locations which might interest you, be they McDonald's restaurants, or roadside historic markers.

If you can place a container near that historic roadside marker (or god forbid, that McDonalds) you can also list that on geocaching.com.

For those geocaches which also provide some history, I think a owner-selectable attribute would be sufficient. That said, don't be surprised when people take great liberties with the definition of "history."

Jamie

For those geocaches which also provide some history, I think a owner-selectable attribute would be sufficient. That said, don't be surprised when people take great liberties with the definition of "history." Jamie

I think most people will get it. If they don't it will be obvious and you can ignore those caches. Anyhow, this would be one attribute that many would appreciate and use!

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . :D

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :D

Now you're showing your true colors. :D

Apparently all you really want is to incease your find count on geocaching.com. If your passion is to visit historic sites it wouldn't matter if you learned about it from a website, found it by reading a flyer, or heard about by word of mouth.

Having a little trouble equating true histrical sites with a system of listing every McDonalds restraunts as well as every public pay phone in existance, just to name a few.

I see someone is having trouble seeing the trees through the forest.

If you were using the yellow pages to find a nearby zoo you wouldn't start reading in the front in the accountants section and then continue reading thru each section until you reach the section where zoos are listed. You would turn right to the section that you are interest in. It is the same with Waymarking. Look at the catagories that interest you and ignore the rest. Complaining about Waymarking listing McDonalds is as smart as calling up the phone company and complaining that they list McDonalds in the yellow pages.

Although, I agree with you and think a History cache should be able to be listed on this site, along with WOW Virtuals and National Park Virtuals, unless the cache has a container, with a log book inside of that container, it will have to be listed on Waymarking . . . :D

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :D

Apparently all you really want is to incease your find count on geocaching.com. If your passion is to visit historic sites it wouldn't matter if you learned about it from a website, found it by reading a flyer, or heard about by word of mouth.

I was being honest. If you knew me you would know how find count is not important to me. Thanks for ASSumming. The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

If you were using the yellow pages to find a nearby zoo you wouldn't start reading in the front in the accountants section and then continue reading thru each section until you reach the section where zoos are listed. You would turn right to the section that you are interest in. It is the same with Waymarking. Look at the catagories that interest you and ignore the rest. Complaining about Waymarking listing McDonalds is as smart as calling up the phone company and complaining that they list McDonalds in the yellow pages.

Hey! Let's go find things that are listed in the yellow pages! :D

But I don't wanna go Waymarking, I wanna go geocaching! :lol:

I was being honest. If you knew me you would know how find count is not important to me. Thanks for ASSumming.

Don't people pay attention to emoticons anymore? :drama:

The bottomline is why should have to go to another website when this could easily be incorporated into geocaching?

They were on Geocaching and they worked but they didn't work well. I don't mind going to Waymarking because they work much better over there. I suppose it would be nice if all my internet hobbies where together at one website (geocaching, Waymarking, bookcrossing, WG, etc) but then what would that look like? Walmart?

Hey! Let's go find things that are listed in the yellow pages! :lol:

You start the group/catagory and I'll join as your first officer. :drama:

Edited by Glenn