City Navigator North America V8 Released

MKMW

Anyone out there with this software...

How much memory does it take to load the whole USA onto a GPS? I'm considering upgrading my v4 (I know its old) but if the whole country is more than 1GB (my gps size) I might have second thoughts. Anyone know how big it is?

How much memory does it take to load the whole USA onto a GPS? I'm considering upgrading my v4 (I know its old) but if the whole country is more than 1GB (my gps size) I might have second thoughts. Anyone know how big it is?

According to GPS Central the whole US will be 1504 MB with routing and 1074 without routing, with no single segment being over 8 MB.

http://gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapsourcecitynavigator.htm

Ok. I'm guessing it's alright to unlock my City Select v6 that I got with an auto kit that I've been sitting on for over a month. GPScentral website says smaller maps, Garmin website says larger maps. I have a Vista C and it can't handle the larger maps. If the new CN v8 does have the larger map size I take it that I can't just upgrade to CS v7? If some one could clear this up it would great.

Thanks,

Hunting101

Nashville, TN

Wow, sounds like you guys may be the first ones on your block with CNNA v8. According to Garmin, release date is the date they release the data to the manufacturer for replication and the shipping date is the date they ship the disks out to their customers. Maybe Garmin's website hasn't caught up with all their activity yet. Keep us posted. :rolleyes:

Edited by Onit

According to GPS Central the whole US will be 1504 MB with routing and 1074 without routing, with no single segment being over 8 MB.

http://gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapsourcecitynavigator.htm

Hopefully they use the same segment cuts they use on City Select V6/V7. On those all segments are less than 8 mb, with most segments below 4 mb.

Hi everyone...new to the forum and have made the leap to a 60 CSX after 8 years with a GPS III. I too have ordered the CN North America v. 8 and have a potentially stupid question relating to Garmin unlock codes. Am I able to download maps from the DVD mutiple times to the Micro SD card? Meaning if i add maps to the card for the east US.....then erase and add the west US for a trip...then erase and add east US back when I return? Or does the Garmin unlock policy only allow this one time.

Thanks for any help...

Hi everyone...new to the forum and have made the leap to a 60 CSX after 8 years with a GPS III. I too have ordered the CN North America v. 8 and have a potentially stupid question relating to Garmin unlock codes. Am I able to download maps from the DVD mutiple times to the Micro SD card? Meaning if i add maps to the card for the east US.....then erase and add the west US for a trip...then erase and add east US back when I return? Or does the Garmin unlock policy only allow this one time.

Thanks for any help...

Unlocked is unlocked, you can download map segments as often as you like. :)

Thanks for any help...

As many times as you want. You unlock the whole country, and can access each map as many times as you want on GPSr or PC.

Thanks for any help...

Thanks everyone. Common sense told me that should be the case but wanted to confirm from the knowledgable people here.

I use City Select 7. Near me is an off ramp that has been there well over ten years. However, City Select 7 doesn't show any off ramp. I suspect that Navigator 8 won't solve this problem. If I can get a free update, then I will upgrade to Navigator 8. Otherwise, I prorbably won't. After all, I don't replace my paper maps every year. Of course, if I drove for a living, I would upgrade right away.

Edited by Seedillume

Thanks for any help...

Thanks everyone. Common sense told me that should be the case but wanted to confirm from the knowledgable people here.

The unlock code "marries" your purchased map data to a specific GPSr. You can compile and download any number of map segments any number of times from any number of computers (desktop, laptop, home) with a single unlock.

Or short answer: Yes. :)

i just checked the mapviewer for V8. It still does not display the paved city street behind my house that was built in 2003. Not good.

Did you find an updated mapviewer?

I've been checking periodically to see the changes also. The mapviewer listed on http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynav.jsp is labeled V8 in the link, but when you get to the actual viewer it still shows V7.

I use City Select 7. Near me is an off ramp that has been there well over ten years. However, City Select 7 doesn't show any off ramp. I suspect that Navigator 8 won't solve this problem. If I can get a free update, then I will upgrade to Navigator 8. Otherwise, I prorbably won't. After all, I don't replace my paper maps every year. Of course, if I drove for a living, I would upgrade right away.

Is the ramp in google maps? If not it won't be in v8 of City Navigator since both use data from navteq. Have you reported the problem to navteq (http://www.navteq.com/updates/mapfeedback.html)?

I also have City Select v7. It shows an onramp near me where there has NEVER been an onramp. Maybe you have my onramp!

Just checked and it says update available July 29th for $75.00 (Garmin site)

Where does it say that? Are you sure you're not looking at the 2005 date for 7.0?

Yep - it looks like that's for version 7.

BTW: If you get a $75 update (or whatever the cost will be for the next update), does that cover the cost of TWO unlocks??

I got it from Garmin for free and they're mailing it to me :P

Care to give the specifics, what version do you have & when was it unlocked etc. :blink:

Garmin is mailing me City Nav V8 North America for free because of compatibility issues with my old V4. It hasn't even arrived yet so it's still not been unlocked. :P:P:D

This is confusing to say the least. Sounds to me like the left hand of Garmin doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I just called Garmin. After 45 minutes of wait, got this Garmin fellow who said that City Navigator v8 was released only on preloaded units like Street Pilot, etc.. When I asked him if I could purchase a copy from them, he put me on hold and came back and said that it had not been released on dvd format yet and that they didn't have any for sale, but real soon. When I asked him what real soon meant, he said he didn't really know, could be as late as August. When I asked him if I purchased a copy of version 7 in May could I get a free unlock for version 8, he said doubtful. He said when they get the dvd copies, they will also receive a schedule list with cutoff dates which will tell them when people will be entitled to free upgrades, discounted upgrades, etc..

I am happy to read that someone on the forum was lucky to receive an actual copy of v8, unlocked and loaded. Like I said, sounds like the right hand of Garmin doesn't know what the left hand is doing...

This is confusing to say the least. Sounds to me like the left hand of Garmin doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I just called Garmin. After 45 minutes of wait, got this Garmin fellow who said that City Navigator v8 was released only on preloaded units like Street Pilot, etc.. When I asked him if I could purchase a copy from them, he put me on hold and came back and said that it had not been released on dvd format yet and that they didn't have any for sale, but real soon. When I asked him what real soon meant, he said he didn't really know, could be as late as August. When I asked him if I purchased a copy of version 7 in May could I get a free unlock for version 8, he said doubtful. He said when they get the dvd copies, they will also receive a schedule list with cutoff dates which will tell them when people will be entitled to free upgrades, discounted upgrades, etc..

I am happy to read that someone on the forum was lucky to receive an actual copy of v8, unlocked and loaded. Like I said, sounds like the right hand of Garmin doesn't know what the left hand is doing...

I am waiting for the update disc as well.I am entitled to the free upgrade and placed the order in March to get V7.They said it was backordered.I had called several times over the last month to check the status of this update and they stated that I would receive V8.Yesterday when I spoken to the CSR she stated that it would be unavailable until August.Still waiting patiently.Can any user with V8 give us members a pro and con list of the software? I would appreciate it as the other members I believe.

Edited by jerry the kid

Garmin is mailing me City Nav V8 North America for free because of compatibility issues with my old V4. It hasn't even arrived yet so it's still not been unlocked. :unsure::ph34r::)

HMMMmmmmm... I have an old copy of MetroGuide 4, which another guy IN THIS THREAD says doesn't work either...

Wonder if I can coax a free upgrade outta them? <_<

Yeah, I know my City Select version 5 works fine, but still... :ph34r:

Edited by Neo_Geo

I also called Garmin yesterday and talk to a Rep about a upgrade to CN v8. I unlocked a copy of CS v6 I got with an auto kit on June 26th. He said that v8 had not been released and I would not get a free update, but that I MAY be able to buy it at a discounted price to be set by Garmin at a later date. I told him that it was up on there website before the 26th. He said they were updating the website prier to the release. This is my first time to talk to Garmin, but I don't think this is the service I read about so much on here? Anybody else???

Hunting101

Nashville, TN

Thanks for this info...it's good to know. Since I have never purchased/used a mapsource product in the past, maybe someone here can answer a couple of questions. I assume the listed map segments include the city listed and surrounding areas, so that for example if my state has five segments listed by city, downloading those five segments would get me the maps for the entire state?

I tried to figure this out by looking at the Garmin map viewer. The site linked above said the map coverage was outlined in yellow. In looking at my area, the whole thing appears yellow, but there are no borders. The exception is that in more "urban" areas, there are brown chunks. When "show coverage area" is unchecked, they appear gray. I hope these areas are included in the "yellow" coverage areas. It would be somewhat useless if they were not.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Thanks for this info...it's good to know. Since I have never purchased/used a mapsource product in the past, maybe someone here can answer a couple of questions. I assume the listed map segments include the city listed and surrounding areas, so that for example if my state has five segments listed by city, downloading those five segments would get me the maps for the entire state?

I tried to figure this out by looking at the Garmin map viewer. The site linked above said the map coverage was outlined in yellow. In looking at my area, the whole thing appears yellow, but there are no borders. The exception is that in more "urban" areas, there are brown chunks. When "show coverage area" is unchecked, they appear gray. I hope these areas are included in the "yellow" coverage areas. It would be somewhat useless if they were not.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

In reply to first question, presumably yes. The Map Viewer on garmin's site is for v7 still, which had MUCH larger map segments so it is hard to compare V7 with v8 at the moment that way. Someone who has v8 now (e.g. posted above) could confirm this, although it looks like CN v8 does indeed have smaller map segemnts, great news for users of slightly older GPSrs.