Geowoodstock 5

JoGPS

We hope that the Geocaching Organizations out west can come up with a perposal to the GW comittee, that will blow their socks off. we are just a few of the small group that has been lucky enough to have attened ALL 4 events. We would love for all those in the west that believe they can put on a FANTASTIC MEGA-EVENT to bring it on. Give JoGPS and the others a reason to fly out there. Give us a reason to stop eating out and saving the money for the trip. We would love to travel all over the world just being able to do GeoWoodstock events. We would love to have the event back here in the Loisville area, but we had our turn now it is someone elses. <_<

WCNUT & Tater

Clarksville, IN

When a location has been made will post it here, not all of the responses has been received from everyone yet and has not been discussed by any of the three folks that will make that decision.

It could be considered international, because folks from around the world have attended, and we could move it outside of the US one day.

Please let this thread stay on topic

Joe

See you at GW5- 1st INTERNATIONAL GW at Erie, PA, Memorial Day Weekend!

Someone let the cat out of the bag early or just trying to rally support? Found this on a log today

On behalf of the NWPA GeoWoodstock 5 Bid Committee, let me make it perfectly clear. We have no inside knowledge on the decision to be made by Joe and the other voters on the location of the next GeoWoodstock. Our bid will be submitted today and we will anxiously await the outcome with our fingers crossed, just like everyone else.

Many people in Pennsylvania and nearby states (and in Canada) are getting very excited at the possibility of hosting GW5. We have invited our Canadian neighbors in the OGA (Ontario Geocaching Association) to participate in the planning and organization of the event as well as providing off-site activities in the Niagara Falls area if our bid is selected. That is the international element to our bid. We apologize if the exuberance of our members has created any misconceptions.

And yes, we would LOVE to see everyone in Erie on Memorial Day weekend IF we win the bid!

after 4 events i think the west side of the usa should get it!!! just my 2 cents. But seems like they want this to stay on the east side.......humm........

I'm with you. So far they have all been down east and south. It would be nice to have one up in the northwest for a change.

It would be nice to have one up in the northwest for a change.
Put together a bid and make it happen.

kind of hard for us west coast cachers to do that...when they have all been back east its kind of hard and also the $$$ to go back there.......i feel its only right to spread it around so its far for all. Cant bid if you never been to one!!!! Maybe there need to be a GW east & GW west...hummm......

when they have all been back east

Well, crap...I moved from Maryland to Texas and I'm still back east. At this rate I'll have to move to Arizona so I can live in Texas. ;)

I'm there no matter where it is....May the best bid win.

Edited by R.O.B

When a location has been made will post it here, not all of the responses has been received from everyone yet and has not been discussed by any of the three folks that will make that decision.

It could be considered international, because folks from around the world have attended, and we could move it outside of the US one day.

Please let this thread stay on topic

Joe

How many perposals have there been. I don't need to know where or who. When is/was the cutoff date to send in a perposal?

Richard of the GeoCrickets

Would like to thank the four different regions for summiting outstanding proposals to host Geo-Woodstock , but as we all know it can only be in one area for next year. The venue was chosen because they scored the highest on ceria for hosting taking care of the attendees GW style

Geo-Woodstock 5 will be in the Great State of North Carolina in 2007

Joe

Wow! This sure is exciting! Thanks for the huge honor.

A great team worked to put together the details of our proposal. As we shift gears to the actual planning, it will take some time before we have any specifics to share, but we are committed (no, not that committed - but that will probably happen later!) to communicating every step of the way.

We're going to keep working hard to set the scene for some great, relaxing fun and help make some lasting memories for everyone who attends.

This event will be held at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh.

Mark your calendars now, you don't want to miss this one!

NCGO

In case some folks were wondering which date they should mark on their calendars, I found this:

The first details are that this event will be held at a section of the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh and the main event will be on Saturday, May 26, 2007.

it will take some time before we have any specifics to share, but we are committed

We're going to keep working hard to set the scene for some great, relaxing fun and help make some lasting memories for everyone who attends.

This event will be held at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh.

NCGO

Can you give us some rough coordinates for the general area where the event will be held? Not being from that area, North Carolina State Fairgrounds does not mean a lot to me. If not coordinates, can you tell me a direction from town, example: North, South, East or West of the downtown. Thanks and congratulations.

In case some folks were wondering which date they should mark on their calendars, I found this:

The first details are that this event will be held at a section of the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh and the main event will be on Saturday, May 26, 2007.

LOL! Thanks for filling in the blank! <_<

Can you give us some rough coordinates for the general area where the event will be held?

The nearest cache to the rented area is GCQ7T3. It's about 500-700 feet away.

Thanks, we are very honored to have been chosen. It will be an event to remember for a long time. I and the rest of the NCGO, especially the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) cachers are really looking forward to hosting everyone here. Trust me, there will be plenty more to come as we make the plans. After all, it's only 9.5 months away.

YES!!! I can finally go to a GEOWOODSTOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DITTO that!

We were really hoping to be a part of Geowoodstock 5 here in Western PA, but Raleigh is a second best option!! With family there, it's almost like our second home. We visit the flea market at the fairgrounds everytime we visit.

Now we have a much better excuse! <_<:unsure:

First of all, congrats on being chosen to host GW5! My family has never been to the east coast--what better excuse than geocaching to finally take us there?! A couple of questions (I know it's early, but we want to be sure we get to go):

Is May 26th a definite date?

Where will you be posting updates as you go along--specifically, special deals on hotel/motel accomodations for those of us flying in?

Thanks <_<

Edited by The Fat Cats

Would like to thank the four different regions for summiting outstanding proposals to host Geo-Woodstock , but as we all know it can only be in one area for next year. The venue was chosen because they scored the highest on ceria for hosting taking care of the attendees GW style

Joe

While disappointed not to have won the bid, I would like to congratulate the North Carolina group for their success. I know how strong the NWPA bid was - theirs must have been awesome!

I'll see you all in Raleigh next Memorial Day weekend!

YES!!! I can finally go to a GEOWOODSTOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already marked it on the calendar as out of the office and busy.

This one is so close to home. Just a couple of hours drive.

:D<_<:D:D

Just made motel reservations... Shop around there are good rates out there even now!!! I elected to go about 8miles from event (near RDU airport) and got $59/night! :D:unsure::D:D

I will be at GW5!!!! :D

First of all, congrats on being chosen to host GW5! My family has never been to the east coast--what better excuse than geocaching to finally take us there?! A couple of questions (I know it's early, but we want to be sure we get to go):

Is May 26th a definite date?

Where will you be posting updates as you go along--specifically, special deals on hotel/motel accomodations for those of us flying in?

Thanks <_<

Yes, May 26th is the definite date. :unsure:

Sorry but we don't have an absolute answer yet on the online presence. We need to check but if I'm not mistaken, geowoodstock.com will be the place. I'm sure there will be info here and on the North Carolina Geocachers Organization site as well, but we're going to try to keep all the important information for visitors in one place so people don't have to bounce all around looking for what they need. We'll announce in this forum when GW5 has an online home.

The local Convention and Visitors Bureau has already been contacted and we will work through them to find some lodging discounts. That and a lot of other information will be available when things begin to firm up.

From a South Carolina cacher to all those in North Carolina who worked hard on this, you all rock and I'm happy to see I just have to drive only across one state to get to the event. I know you will keep up the hard work between now and May and make 5 another GW to remember. Just everyone not from the south I just have to say get use to hearing "Y'all" a lot <_<

See Y'all in May :unsure:

Joe

Cool :ph34r:

I was wondering though if you might say who/where the other bids were from? I think someone meantioned Pennsylvania putting together a bid, where else applied?

Edited by welch

Joe

Cool :D

I was wondering though if you might say who/where the other bids were from? I think someone meantioned Pennsylvania putting together a bid, where else applied?

We think it would be in poor taste to say who sent in proposals, if they would like to speak up it will be up to them.

Joe

Edited by JoGPS

Certainly a big congrats to NC for hosting the event. I would like to know if the RV sites will be available and how to go about reserving sites?

Thanks!

Looking forward to my 4th event!

This is from the fairgrounds website. It sounds as if individuals don't call for a spot until they get there? We're checking on a reserving a block and will let you know what we hear.

Recreational vehicle hook-up access for visits of 14 days or less. Water, sewer and electrical access is available on more than 300 sites (electricity access ranges from 30 – 50 amps). Rental cost for a 24 hour period is $20 per unit. Primary access is through Gate 11 from Blue Ridge Road. Individual units should check-in with Fairgrounds Public Safety at mobile 919-612-6767. Clubs and groups should contact the Fairgrounds at 919-821-7400 prior to arrival to reserve space