Geowoodstock 5

JoGPS

The requirements are ready to be emailed out for those wanting to host the worlds largest geocaching event.

Please send the name of your Geocaching organizations, and contact person that attended at lease one Geowoodstock.

Email Address: JoGPS@AOL.com

We plan to announce the location in 30 to 45 days or less so the planning can begin

This thread only pertains to future Geowoodstocks locations, not for anything else. If you are not wanting to host it please start new thread.

Would it be feasible for Geowoodstock to be held outside the USA? Or would the travel requirements be too prohibitive for most USA residents? We would love to invite folks from over there to attend a 'mega' event here in the UK. We are planning one for next year in a particularly nice part of 'the old country' and would love to see some of you guys make it over. If we could somehow 'coordinate' ( :P ) our efforts maybe it could be fun.

Martin, Lynn and Maddie (Team Maddie UK)

would the travel requirements be too prohibitive for most USA
$1500 US for two round trip tickets and an 11 hour flight from Dallas to London. Way out of my range. :ph34r:

Who is that with gold plated airlines ?? most expensive ive found so far is $1093 cheapest $336 and that was with my usual flight search site..

would the travel requirements be too prohibitive for most USA
$1500 US for two round trip tickets and an 11 hour flight from Dallas to London. Way out of my range. :)

Who is that with gold plated airlines ?? most expensive ive found so far is $1093 cheapest $336 and that was with my usual flight search site..

I have been to all 4 geowoodstocks . I lived in Northfolk for 4 years and would love to visit again but probably could not afford a trip to the UK, but that is not the point here. If you have an organization that is interested and you have a member who has attended at least one Geowoodstock you should request the information through JoGPS's e-mail and see what the requirement are. Everyone who puts in a request should be welcome to apply.

Good luck to all who apply. You will have large shoes to fill.

I have been to all 4 geowoodstocks . I lived in Northfolk for 4 years and would love to visit again but probably could not afford a trip to the UK, but that is not the point here. If you have an organization that is interested and you have a member who has attended at least one Geowoodstock you should request the information through JoGPS's e-mail and see what the requirement are. Everyone who puts in a request should be welcome to apply.

Thanks Turtle and the others who repsonded to my post. It really was a case of putting out a feeler to see if many from over there would be interested. Obviously, it would be a large expense as it would be for most of us over here in Europe to travel over there, and we appreciate that. Wouldn't it be great though if we could organise some sort of event on, maybe a two or four yearly basis, that brought us all together occasionally; The Geo-Olympics perhaps?

Also, we had wondered about holding simultaneous events around the world linked by webcams etc. These could be on a more frequent basis as they would not have the more expensive need for overseas travel etc.

Just a few ideas... (straw men, I think is the chosen buis-speak)

Martin

Thanks Turtle and the others who repsonded to my post. It really was a case of putting out a feeler to see if many from over there would be interested. Obviously, it would be a large expense as it would be for most of us over here in Europe to travel over there, and we appreciate that. Wouldn't it be great though if we could organise some sort of event on, maybe a two or four yearly basis, that brought us all together occasionally; The Geo-Olympics perhaps?

Also, we had wondered about holding simultaneous events around the world linked by webcams etc. These could be on a more frequent basis as they would not have the more expensive need for overseas travel etc.

Martin

This sounds like a great idea; I would suggest that you open up a new thread on this in the Organized Geocaching section of the forum under a new topic for discussion. I for one would love to see what might come of this type discussion.

Edited by Turtle3863

Martin

Ditto, I think some form of crazy huge GeoGlobal event (separate to Geowoodstock) with a focus on international caching and collaboration (e.g. multi caches with clues in separate countries published on the same day) would be a very good idea. The central location would change every time the Event happened, but satellite events in other countries would happen.

"How about somewhere nearest the geographic center of the USA?

That way it's a "Central Location""

I like this idea...if we weigh in Hawaii and Alaska (assuming we're talking a US GWS5) it should be in north central California, right? I'm in! <_<

Edited by NeverSummer

There has been some discussion among RCGDS cachers about hosting here in Sacramento, CA area. I don't qualify as the "contact," never having attended a GW, but several locals I know have. I will mention this thread at our local event this Saturday.

"How about somewhere nearest the geographic center of the USA?

That way it's a "Central Location""

I like this idea...if we weigh in Hawaii and Alaska (assuming we're talking a US GWS5) it should be in north central California, right? I'm in! :anicute:

Guess I should have specified the "lower 48"... :grin:

That would put it somewhere near Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri intersection.

It seems like they have a loop started. Next stop... Southwest. Then Northwest and swing down to like Nebraska or something then over to New England.

As for a Southwest locations... I recommend Arizona, Only if it's in February!!

I like the idea of rotating it around! Las Vegas seems like a logical place to have it in the SW. Plenty of hotels and cheap tickets.

I would seriously like to organize/coordinate the GW5 event either in San Diego/Southern California area, or even Las Vegas. There are dozens of locations to choose from. The only draw back about a Vegas location is the heat in the summer months... :blink:

I have attended only one GW event, but I do course design for Playtime, Inc., and I have considerable experience as a project manager. I know I could get as much help as we needed from the caching community all over the Southwest. I can also draw from my caching contacts I have both across the US and in Germany.

It would simply have to be the best Geowoodstock yet, or it would not be worth doing at all!

habu!

I would seriously like to organize/coordinate the GW5 event either in San Diego/Southern California area, or even Las Vegas. There are dozens of locations to choose from. The only draw back about a Vegas location is the heat in the summer months... :blink:

I have attended only one GW event, but I do course design for Playtime, Inc., and I have considerable experience as a project manager. I know I could get as much help as we needed from the caching community all over the Southwest. I can also draw from my caching contacts I have both across the US and in Germany.

It would simply have to be the best Geowoodstock yet, or it would not be worth doing at all!

habu!

Why not have it in Vegas, in March?

The location would be perfect for most everyone in the Southwest, including NV, AZ and Cali...and March wouldn't be too hot at all...

habu!

The location would be perfect for most everyone in the Southwest, including NV, AZ and Cali...and March wouldn't be too hot at all...

And Utah :blink: !

habu!

Vegas would be a fine location also. Maybe we could get a "group rate" at one of the hotels. I would still like to be part of the planning whatever location is chosen. This is an awesome event and one that needs to continue!

Vegas sounds like fun. But central to the US would be nice as well. How about Kansas City, KS? Large city in the middle of the country, tons of good caches, the airport has good fares for those flying (served by Southwest Air so that helps) etc. If course I would like for it to be in Nebraska since I live there but Kansas City would be easy for folk to get to, stay etc. Alternately St Louis is farther south but in the middle from the east and west.

Edited by kklems

A coalition of experienced cachers (CCCooperAgency, GoldsnoopPA, dr.clean, MsKardiac) are currently working on a proposal to bring GW5 to the Northwest Pennsylvannia area (Erie and/or nearby counties) that would encompass geocaching groups from NWPA Geocachers, NEOGEO (NE Ohio), TRIGO (Pittsburgh), PAGA (Pittsburgh), Kinzua Cachers, NYGO (NW New York section) and OGA (Ontario Geocaching Association). We are currently sifting through possible venues and soliciting offers of support from the various groups in anticipation of putting together a proper proposal.

It's nice to see all the interest from the west coast, however I think the travel distance presents a barrier for many of those who helped make this event what it is. We're not far from where it all began, have great cache density, terrain diversity, committed cachers and the experience/skill sets to meet and and hopefully exceed the standards set by previous GeoWoodstocks.

Do we have a firm cutoff date for accepting applications at this point?

It's nice to see all the interest from the west coast, however I think the travel distance presents a barrier for many of those who helped make this event what it is. We're not far from where it all began, have great cache density, terrain diversity, committed cachers and the experience/skill sets to meet and and hopefully exceed the standards set by previous GeoWoodstocks.

Do we have a firm cutoff date for accepting applications at this point?

So what are you saying that GW will never branch off outside of it's hemisphere because of the distance that the originators would have to travel :D ? Is there something that you know that we need to know :D ?

I thought the pre-requisite was that you only had to attend a previous GW to qualify :D ?

I find your statement as such that your request should be disqualified merely based on your comment :D .

So the travel and distance for those that have attended don't mean anything? Just remember if it wasn't for those who travel to GW this event would be nothing :D .

I'm glad to hear of a solid proposal instead of the "it should be here" posts. Not that there's anything wrong with those posts, but they won't have any affect on where the event takes place.

Any idea? I would like to get it on the calendar for next year. We will have our MOGA (Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure) in late March.

BB

I'm glad to hear of a solid proposal instead of the "it should be here" posts. Not that there's anything wrong with those posts, but they won't have any affect on where the event takes place.

Any idea? I would like to get it on the calendar for next year. We will have our MOGA (Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure) in late March.

BB

I can't speak for any of the other groups bidding, but the NWPA Geocachers bid would be exclusively for the Memorial Day weekend to avoid interfering with the Midwest Geobash that commences around July 4th. Those are the only 2 dates available according to the bid specifications.

I think it should be in Texas again. Those that attended all seemed to have a ball, and the really important people (those that plotted, planned, and pusshed the actual on ground event) are proven to already be in place :laughing: .

think it should be in Texas again. Those that attended all seemed to have a ball, and the really important people (those that plotted, planned, and pusshed the actual on ground event) are proven to already be in place .
Gosh, thanks welch! :wub:

We'll pass this year. Maybe we'll bid again next year for a location near Houston or north of Fort Worth, but don't count on it. I think the volunteers and committee would lynch me if we did it again. :lol:

It's nice to see all the interest from the west coast, however I think the travel distance presents a barrier for many of those who helped make this event what it is.

Wow. I guess that says it all, folks. :huh:

If that's the way it is I'll just blow it off. It seems only fair to have the event move to each region. The organizers should also be rotated to ensure that that happens. :huh:

It's nice to see all the interest from the west coast, however I think the travel distance presents a barrier for many of those who helped make this event what it is.

Wow. I guess that says it all, folks. :huh:

If that's the way it is I'll just blow it off. It seems only fair to have the event move to each region. The organizers should also be rotated to ensure that that happens. :huh:

Geowoodstock can be held anywhere in the world, is this not a worldwide sport ?

The event organizers will never change only their numbers will increase by one each year

Got our first proposal back today, waiting on several more, will keep ya’ll updated

Joe