Are You Missing A Plushy Blue Travel Bug?

Planet

I know, I know...It's not a bird but who could resist watching the Panda Cam!! Live Streaming video!! This is sooo cool! These are from the San Diego Zoo

Panda Cams.

Smitsonian Institute: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/GiantPan...ult.cfm?cam=LP1

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/ex_panda_station.html

Polar Bear Cam:

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/ex_polar_bear_plunge.html

Ape Cam:

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/ex_absolutely_apes.html

Edited by trsrhuntr

I only saw the thread had popped up again today - HELLO again to everyone from across the pacific.

we'll be cheering you on when you go for the CITO paddle!! :ninja: Same horrible trouble here with wildlife and plastic. One of our seaside towns has banned plastic bags completely. Get a news crew to cover you by sending out a 'media release' before you go with contact details to radio and newspapers.

I can not believe that I am, just discovering this thread! How incredible is this. I am from Baltimore MD, but now live in Palm Bay FL...with lots of interesting waterfowl and habitats. I loooove the blue bear story, and the rescue! OMG, I just can"t stand how cool this is. I must be an environmental geek, and proud of it.

I just felt compelled to post.

Edited by SmileyEarthGirl

I went from looking at the Car Caching Cache page to a link from oDragon's log about the parakeets, to Audobon's Osprey Cam, and golly if that thing doesn't look like it's got a ziptie around it's neck! That's the first thing that came to my mind. Sorry, I can't, dare not, will not go get it. So, next time you ask where's my bug? Don't necessarily blame a cacher ROFL!! :unsure:

6f50a067-fd19-47eb-983c-c8cbfeca4027.jpg

(edit to add snapshot, before Junior eats it)

I am so surprised this thread is still going. In all honesty, it is somewhat interesting.

Yippeee! It's back up. The camera has been down all winter, I was checking it up to about a week and a half ago. Now I can't figure out how to get this computer to show it live though, and I'm pretty sad about that right now.

How many eggs do you think will be laid/hatched this year? I'm hoping for another 4 eggs and for 4, but at least 2 to survive. It takes a lot of fish to raise those little Osprettes.... Ospreyettes..... Osprings........ big birds.

And the Osprey are back too! I sure hope we have another Ozzie in the nest. 9d0fe703-3c08-4240-9f2e-b4e1560668af.jpg

Planet open the webcam page in MS Internet Explorer. You don't get the animation in Foxfire.

Yippeee! It's back up. The camera has been down all winter, I was checking it up to about a week and a half ago. Now I can't figure out how to get this computer to show it live though, and I'm pretty sad about that right now.

How many eggs do you think will be laid/hatched this year? I'm hoping for another 4 eggs and for 4, but at least 2 to survive. It takes a lot of fish to raise those little Osprettes.... Ospreyettes..... Osprings........ big birds.

25041afe-e9d4-4f1b-9954-f5510396e0f0.jpg

Happy hopeful parents with Egg #1. :D

The mann just told me that he saw an osprey today come flying, grab a tree branch and broke it off the tree and flew away with it! So that's where they get them all! I guess it's easier to grab one in flight, than to land, pick one up, and take off again. It's an energy saver!

Edited by Planet

I cant believe the crap they bring into their nest.

Well, guess who left that carp out in the wild for them to bring to the nest. If you've read this whole thread then you know that last year the fire department had to go out to the platform in the water and get plastic off the baby, not once but twice. Plastic left by humans. It makes good lining and looks like some kinds of seaweed I guess.

You'll also see a lot of blue things in the nest. Ospreys are attracted to blue. From the Audubon Website:

Nests/Nesting Habits: Ospreys nest in tree tops, poles, towers, stubs, sometimes roof tops, chimneys, navigation buoys, rock pinnacles, stick piles, and even on the ground, but never far from water. Nesting material includes sticks, grass, seaweed and clods of mud. The following have also been found in Osprey nests: oars, fish nets, life preservers, hay rake, toy boats, brooms, boots, shoes, dolls, baskets, plastic sheeting and bags, door mat, bird wings and bleached bones (and in 2006, one blue stuffed teddy bear!). The adults return year after year to rebuild and add material to the nest. Some nests are occupied every year for 40 or more years by a succession of birds and reach a depth of over 10 feet. Fledglings leave the nest after about 8 weeks from their hatch date.

(they mentioned our bear!)

PS:

WE HAVE FOUR EGGS!!!!!

How exciting!!

Wow 4 eggs? Haven't gotten a chance to see them yet. The few times a day I switch over they are snug under mom or dad. Hope there are plenty of fish if all 4 hatch. Mom and Dad will be running overtime feeding them all.

So when do we start up a name list for the youngins? :mad:

For the first time in 3 years (hey, that's not that long) three COUNT 'EM - 3! eggs have hatched.

It's really hard to make them out, but they are camouflaged that way on purpose. They are sitting there, one behind the other in a row.

78e6278b-eb96-4c33-8eee-bf30d99f4f75.jpg

I think there may still be four (one showing behind Mom's wing, one to the left of the wing, one smaller one behind and to the left of the second one, and maybe one very small one lying in front of the others). Definitely two are stronger than the others, and that doesn't bode well for the little ones.

It's amazing how quickly they grow.

osprey.jpg

I really think I see four too.

One is sitting on top of the other. I sure hope this is true!!!!! It sure is hard to tell isn't it? And I can't get my computer to show a live view. <_< So I can't really watch it continuously to see them move.

467545db-9766-4763-b3a3-71e465eb8405.jpg

One by Mom's nose, then two, with the big guy sitting on top of the other one.

I really think I see four too.

One is sitting on top of the other. I sure hope this is true!!!!! It sure is hard to tell isn't it? And I can't get my computer to show a live view. :grin: So I can't really watch it continuously to see them move.

467545db-9766-4763-b3a3-71e465eb8405.jpg

One by Mom's nose, then two, with the big guy sitting on top of the other one.

Three years of osprey watching in a little over an hour. I'm supposed to be working... This forum has taken on a life of its own. What started as a possible TB find has morphed into a nature show. I'm glad I found it. I'm hooked.

Well finally got a shot of the nest with mom n dad gone. All 4 are still in the nest, though 1 is still pinkish compared to the other 3. Hopefully they look out for their sibling. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

sibling.jpg

Lower left are 2 of them, the youngest one is in front with white stripes while the other three have their yellowish spots already.

Edited by ComputerCacheBug