Are You Missing A Plushy Blue Travel Bug?

Planet

We've got mail!

bd8248f0-59bb-4cef-a398-195a8f382b5c.jpg

"Yesssss ... my TB tags have arrived from Groundspeak!!! Now where did I put that blue bear??"

"Dear Sir or Maam:

Please cease and desist all voyeuristic activities posthaste or I shall be contacting my lawyer and pursueing an injunction and formal restraining order.

- Junior"

Oh yeah you bet I'm back watching this thread. I believe I coined the phrase Ozzie, the Osprey Love Doll, but would have to go back and read to confirm. What is the status of the Spirit of Ozzie TB? I'd love to add it to my watchlist.

Z

These are the parents from last year. Ozzy is on his own now, I don't think he's got his own film crew yet.

In 2006 the first egg was laid on 4/11. 3 more eggs were laid over the next few days. 5/31 the first egg hatched.

Here's more information.

I only need to make up the TB page now, and get someone to go for a walk with me. I'd like to start it from the closest one at the Audubon Center, and it is a micro, so I'd start it there, and then put it in a larger cache.

OSPREY PAIR AT MILFORD POINT

2007 CHRONICLE

April 11, sometime before 7 a.m., First Osprey Egg is Laid! Spotted by Diana Beeton of Burr Elementary School in Fairfield.

March 29: Our Osprey pair are also famous. Channel 8's Matt Scott arrived in Milford at 5:15 a.m. today to interview CT Audubon's Ken Elkins and film the Osprey pair, which was featured during most of Matt's weather segments from 6-8 a.m. Re-broadcast scheduled for noon today on Channel 8 and possibly during tonight's news. You can see a portion of this morning's filming online at www.wtnh.com (on the home page, in their Top Video list, select "watching Ospreys with the Audubon Society -- by Matt Scott") Thanks Matt!

March 22: They're Baaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! Examining the nest, sitting on top of the Osprey Cam (according to CAS Coastal Center staff who are also using binoculars) and flying away for long periods of time. Believe they want to re-decorate; they've already added some darker sticks to the nest (upper left). Last year's blue teddy bear is long gone.

From the notes it appears it takes an egg around two months to hatch. Cold or wet conditions can kill an egg. Here's for hoping for the best.

Today's picture:

ozzy2007iz8.png

Still one egg, looks like there was a changing of the guard as one went to hunt and the other took over sitting on the egg. Rainy. Blue rag still in the nest, looks like one of those blue surgical rags.

I feel like we should name the parents as we've been stalking them for a year now.

I vote for Leroy Jenkins and Barbarella :laughing:

I agree ... And as long as we're at it, we need a new name for the new arrival!!

If last year's chick was Ozzy the Osprey ... how about Oscar for this year's hatchling? And speaking of Oscar, do we have any resident experts who can tell the gender of a hatchling??? If it's a female, perhaps Oola? :lol:

For now I'll stick with my vote for Oscar. :lol:

They sure seem to have a preference for blue! Perhaps if somebody planted a blue plushy nearby, out of the reach of the tide, they would snag it! :(

Matt

I couldn't snap a picture before she sat back down, but I just saw a third egg in the nest!

And the coast is pretty flooded right now. Usually some grass sticks up, but it's all water, and has been since this morning! Lots of road closures and they had evacuations in Milford yesterday.

I'm sure the Audubon Society knows about this. In their facility they have the TV screen showing the nest cam up close and personal, and you can see the nest at a distance and through a telescope in the marsh through the windows. they probably just don't update the site that much. I sent them the link to this thread. I hope they enjoy it.

I want to straighten out something. Last year's chick was not Ozzy. He was Little Dude. The blue bear was Ozzy, the Osprey Love doll. And the Travel Bug will be called Spirit of Ozzy, the Osprey Love Doll.

Today I managed to get a shot of the three eggs and you can see how full the marsh is still from the high spring tides and the flooding we have been having around here.

d629478b-352f-4bb3-8537-08df94cd9fa6.jpg

Ttepee and I were working on names the other day for Mom and Dad. So far they've always been Mom and Dad. We kind of like Fred and Ethel, that was a preliminary idea. We'll think some more on that.

Zsandmann, if you watch at night, there are some lights in the top left corner shining from Long Island that you can watch. <_<

Ttepee and I were working on names the other day for Mom and Dad. So far they've always been Mom and Dad. We kind of like Fred and Ethel, that was a preliminary idea. We'll think some more on that.

Funny you should say Fred and Ethel... When I read the post about naming "Mom and Dad", the first names that popped into my head were Lucy and Desi!! <_<

So, of course, I have to check on Fred and Ethel this morning, and I catch the changing of the guards:

df16600f-01a1-498c-acba-633ab7bda433.jpg

Fred, or is it Ethel, pushes the other one off, kind of saying "My turn now" And what do I see?

4 eggs!!!!!

d03edcd9-64a7-4f1f-863a-58e88c7ede57.jpg

woohoo, you go Fred and Ethel!

So, of course, I have to check on Fred and Ethel this morning, and I catch the changing of the guards:

Fred, or is it Ethel, pushes the other one off, kind of saying "My turn now" And what do I see?

4 eggs!!!!!

woohoo, you go Fred and Ethel!

Are you sure that there aren't 5 eggs??? When I saw this post this morning I thought it was my imagination, but DH just emailed me from work and said he thought he saw 5 when Ethel (or Fred) was standing up a few minutes ago.

Edited to remove photo! (I hope!!)lol

Edited by ToGoKo
Ospreys usually mate for life. In spring they begin a five-month period of partnership to raise their young. Females lay 3–4 eggs within a month, and rely on the size of the nest to help conserve heat. The eggs are approximately the size of chicken eggs, and cinnamon colored; they are incubated for about 5 weeks to hatching.

The newly-hatched chicks weigh only 50–60 g (2 oz), but fledge within eight weeks. When food is scarce, the first chicks to hatch are most likely to survive. The typical lifespan is 20–25 years.

I grabbed that from wikipedia. I would not expect many more than 4 eggs as these chicks grow fast and only so many will fit in the nest. Although I believe there were three or four laid last year and Little Dude was the only viable one. So who can say for sure.

I grabbed that from wikipedia. I would not expect many more than 4 eggs as these chicks grow fast and only so many will fit in the nest. Although I believe there were three or four laid last year and Little Dude was the only viable one. So who can say for sure.

Here is one of the snapshots that DH sent in email.... Tell me what you think.... 4 or 5?

20070419_16-20-14.jpg

Maybe it's just my ...ummm.... not-so-good eyesight!! LOL

Is this a hatchling, or just a pile of debris that looks like a chick?

When I first saw this posting I thought no couldn't be already.. So I went to look myself. Momma was doing an awful lot of primping amongst the egg shaped ones tonight.

d4256b20-9221-4593-90be-94b466dd120a.jpg

5972eae7-ca54-47d1-9698-c5d5d292ec2f.jpg

And then when you zoom in....... looks like it could be. Good spotting Belfrypotters!

58e29d3a-3e6d-4b0e-be20-77a50f399575.jpg

Edited by Ttepee

Oh man! I was watching this morning but Lucy wouldn't get up so I could peek. I don't see the hatch-ling in the photos very clearly, but you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be looking tomorrow morning at first light! There is only one problem, I wanted to release the TB when the first egg hatched, but I have to drive to Maine and back this weekend, and next weekend I may have just committed to giving to a geocaching speech in MA. I may have to go out during the week and release it. Anyone want to join me? Email me a good weekday, for around 6PM. If the Audubon Center is open at that time, I'd like to start it at the cache and place it in a larger nearby cache. Or hide a nearby cache to start it in. <_<

Last year's course of events in the nest from egg laid to egg hatched:

April 11: first Osprey egg in the nest spotted by CAS's Catherine Urbain.

April 14: second Osprey egg in the nest spotted by Diana Beeton of Burr Elementary School.

April 17: third Osprey egg in the nest spotted by CAS's Miley Bull.

April 19: 5:40 p.m. e-mail: "Yay! The 4th egg is in the nest!" from Diana Beeton. (A large stick is in the nest too.)

May 30, 6:30 p.m.: CAS's Ken Elkins believes first egg is starting to hatch!! (And bright blue thing in the nest is a teddy bear!!)

May 31: 1st egg hatches (Ken was right).

It might be about a couple of weeks too soon?

I think Planet is right that it's too soon. Since the first egg was laid about the same time as last year there shouldn't be chicklets until the end of May. Given the number of treasures that these characters bring home to the nest, it's probably just something that looks like a hatchling from this angle. But Mom sure is restless these days. Bored to tears, no doubt.

Just a moment ago I caught a glimpse of the eggs, still looks like all 4 unhatched, with a fluffy pile of something next to it (to me, anyway)

5de18016-0e22-4b02-9b42-d0beb4e0fddc.jpg

I saw and also snapped the image ToGoKo posted with the paper, it was funny to watch.

On the 5th, they got a receipt for a shipment of vitamins, so everyone should be nice and healthy! :laughing:

d01d8589-f1a7-4158-8744-95bd18db1ff3.jpg

Mom fussed with that receipt, shifting it around, laying it up in the middle of her back like a blanket, then moving it back down to her side, until a gust blew it out of the nest. Cute!

I've been refreshing all morning to see what's underneath him/her and FINALLY he/she lifted off! Still 4 eggs plus a bit of fluff.

(edit - must have been messing with adding this pic at the same time as MountainMugBug)

still4eggs.jpg

Edited by gailois