Are You Missing A Plushy Blue Travel Bug?

Planet

Here's a photo Mopar sent me showing the nest and its surroundings. I've used this picture entirely without his permission, I didn't even ask. I hope you don't mind Mopar.

007691e1-9f52-431c-a569-1eb57e18176c.jpg

Nope, don't mind at all. Just a little reminder about the tides though. Here's the nest area at low tide:

b08b4995-fa00-4c7c-ae7f-9e22fb3e3e83.jpg

Notice anything missing?

Like water?

If you look carefully, you can see the cable for the webcam running from the bottom of the pic to the island the nest is on.

Edited by Mopar

Good luck, have fun, be safe! If I wasn't 689 miles away (as-the-osprey-flies) I'd show up and help :D

I'm looking forward to reading the adventure stories here and maybe seeing some photos, too.

I'll also try to be watching tomorrow on the webcam, hopefully we won't end up seeing a few muddy swampmonsters wading through low tide muck, but that would make a good webshot..... :D

BTW, do ya'll plan on wearing beak & claw proof helmets? My dad has a Stetson-shaped hardhat that would be perfect :D

I can't stand the suspense. Any news?

Not yet. Trip is for tomorrow morning. So far it's Ttepee and I as the launch crew and 1Naturemom and her girls as the ground crew/film crew. 11AM launch from Stratford Side of the River, OR

from the Court St. launch, closer to and on the same side of the river as the marsh. That's in that area of the low tide Mopar posted. We'll decide that in the morning if after I see if anyone else is joining us. High tide is at 12:30ish, so if we begin at 11 on the incoming tide, we can paddle across and look around at slack tide and ride the outgoing tide back out, searching the reeds as we go. I'm not getting my hopes up, but wouldn't it be cool...............?

This is the Court St information I finally found. It's the closest boat launch. http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/site.asp?siteid=515

Note to self: Bring neoprene waders and boots, and don't run over the webcam cable.

What time should we start looking at the Little Dude - Ozzy Cam to see if we can see the Ozzy Search and Recovery Mission Recovery Team in the background?

We should be approaching the nest area around 12:30 to -1:00 PM EST.

Oh dear, now I have to decide whether to risk missing something on the Ozzy Cam and geocache while my wife is getting her beauty sleep, or be a couch potato and be glued to the Ozzy Cam.

It would be a much easier decision if I were near Milford Point cache GCGPDH , but I am 2457.2mi away ATOF.

There is nothing I like better than making a fool of myself on an osprey webcam. Hey, if I can get up at on stage at an open mike night at the Saloon, dressed in my waders, with my fishing pole in hand, with a dead rainbow trout hanging from it, with a back up band playing and me singing (with all due respect to Jim Morrison, RIP) "You keep your eyes on the rod, your hands upon the reel, let us fish baby fish, let us fish baby fish, yeah we're going to the reservoir, gonna have ourselves a reel good time, yeah, let us fish baby fish, let us fish baby fish, let us fish, all night long" then I think I handle this just fine. Yeah, you shoulda been there......

Yepper, you had to be there. Little Dude, Mom and Pop would have loved my song.

Oh dear, now I have to decide whether to risk missing something on the Ozzy Cam and geocache while my wife is getting her beauty sleep, or be a couch potato and be glued to the Ozzy Cam.

It would be a much easier decision if I were near Milford Point cache GCGPDH , but I am 2457.2mi away ATOF.

Well, here is your weather report for tomorrow:

Saturday:

Showers ending in the morning with partial clearing in the afternoon. High 71F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Saturday night:

A few clouds. Low 48F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

You decide.

BTW....my pfd is red.....

Planet I got a new one when I paddled the Hudson..needed something comfortable enough not to be tempted to take it off like I usually do....and the old one was green... but it doesn't really matter does it.

Ok another question... has anyone ever actually seen any kayaks or anything from the webcam?

One more thing. When we get out there I'm going to call my bf Dave and he's going to watch the webcam and snap some pics for us... if we find our way in front of the camera that is... but he'll also be signing onto the forums and posting under my profile to let anyone who's interested know when we're out there. That's the plan anyways. ...and if all else fails we'll take plenty of pics and post when we return.

Think OZZIE!!!! OZZIE...we're coming to save you... hang in/on there just a little bit longer!!

Ok another question... has anyone ever actually seen any kayaks or anything from the webcam?

I saw a boat go from right to left on the ospreycam in the background one day, it seemed pretty fast like a speedboat or jetski (I was manually hitting reload on the single-image link at that time, so it was pretty choppy visually)

That's good to know... thanks MoutainMudbug :D... rather look ridiculus to people that expect it than just the general public... heheh but then again who will notice me when Planet rolls into song and dance...hehehe

Edited by Ttepee

There will be an unexpected delay of about 45 minutes. Teepee is running late and as of about 10AM was on the road to my house.

That canoe trip is today? They better not charge us!

We have another paddler too, Juliebeans. Mom, if you see her, please explain the delay. I can't get her on IM and don't know anything else about her except that she has a silver pickup truck.

As far as I know, the sponsored trips launch right from the back of the building, which is right about where that cable is in the last pic I posted. There is a "public coastal access point" sign at the entrance, but I haven't been able to find out if they allow public launching from that spot. If they do it would be high tide only.

Hey GeoHo & Mopar, we knocked on your door on the way by. Your neighbor said you were on your motorcycles. Oh well, next time.

We actually headed down to Milford Point. Of course, we had to stop at Danny's Drive-In for chilidogs on the way, and by the time we actually got down there, you guys were long gone.

Just checked out the closest cache's page. They didn't find Ozzy. Ah well..

Yeah, but NatureMom found the same cache twice. :P

I know, I know :ph34r: My evil phone likes to change the type of logs on me! I choose "write note", and it sends something else :D One time it changed a log to "needs archived!" :ph34r::P

I FIXED IT MOPAR! :)

Oh, I was just teasin' ya, Leslie. I know Randy would have emailed ya about it ASAP. We actually rode down there to visit everyone, but stopped to eat and everyone was gone by time we got down there.

I did catch up with Planet and Ttepee as they were about to get in their kayaks. We navigated about a 1/2 mile to the nest, watching for anything blue that might be caught in the marsh grasses. It was nearing high tide so Planet was able to get in under the nest. After much unsuccessful searching, we paddled over to the CT Audubon Society to meet up with 1NatureMom.

On the way back to our launch area we did continue the search. And Planet was staying vigalent by telling every kayak we passed to watch out for a small blue teddy bear that had fallen from the osprey nest, and please turn it in the the Audubon society. Hey, you never know.....

Just checked out the closest cache's page. They didn't find Ozzy. Ah well..

Yeah, but NatureMom found the same cache twice. :huh:

I know, I know <_< My evil phone likes to change the type of logs on me! I choose "write note", and it sends something else :cry: One time it changed a log to "needs archived!" :cry::cry:

I FIXED IT MOPAR! :anitongue:

And I need to take this opportunity to say "I fixed it too Mopar" :rolleyes:

In my case, not an evil phone. Just the unguided knowledge of a newbie.

My biggest dissapointment was finding this floating under the nest looking JUST LIKE A BELLY AND TWO LEGS! I was paddling to it as fast as I could saying oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oooohhhh nooooooo, it's just a plastic bag! There were many more pieces of blue trash that would get my hopes up. I asked any paddlers heading out to keep their eyes open for Ozzy, and the folks at the Audubon said they haven't seen him come ashore, but they look for him too. :(

Thanks for having fun with this thread. Maybe next year we will find something new in the nest. They say that the parents head south mid August and the young ones follow a few weeks later, so I expect Little Dude will be heading south any day. Happy sky trails Little Dude!

4ced4386-6dd6-4426-8a18-b881bb4c571d.jpg

1Naturemom thinks of everything and wanted there to be a happy ending. So she surprised me with............................................................................

The Spirit Of Ozzy, The Osprey Love Doll! (soon to become a travel bug)

a68d0def-bea0-4b19-89e0-292da7276456.jpg

Please let us know when the TB starts so we can keep track of it.

Russ

Well, I've got some new information. I happened to pick up a beanie baby bear TB from a cache the day after our excursion (how could I pass that up?) and I discovered a small hole in its foot:

bacc3f65-31eb-41a9-9ca3-143cab3d3efa.jpg

Some of the beans had fallen out, into the ziplock, so I ran a scientific test. I filled my sink with some water and dropped three beans in, 3 magical beans! They FLOAT!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to make of this, except that maybe there is hope.