Are You Missing A Plushy Blue Travel Bug?

Planet

I went from looking at the Car Caching Cache page to a link from oDragon's log about the parakeets, to Audobon's Osprey Cam, and golly if that thing doesn't look like it's got a ziptie around it's neck! That's the first thing that came to my mind. Sorry, I can't, dare not, will not go get it. So, next time you ask where's my bug? Don't necessarily blame a cacher ROFL!! :grin:

6f50a067-fd19-47eb-983c-c8cbfeca4027.jpg

(edit to add snapshot, before Junior eats it)

Edited by Planet

It didn't take long in ClayJar's chat to get a suggestion. GeoHo suggested it could be Sophia Loren, missing since 2002, but says it's in the hands of a cacher. Sure looks right! Wouldn't that be a hoot!? (or a screee) Momma Osprey brings home a friend for Junior and teaches him to sing ala Looney Tunes;

I'm bringin home a baby rabbit,

Won't my momma be so proud of me,

cuz I'm bringin home a baby rabbit

(substitute blue bear for rabbit)

24284_200.JPG

Well, Ospreys are always using the same nest every year, and always putting in a fresh floor, so this little blue plushy has now become a part of the nest, and Junior is getting bigger already. They grow so fast, these kids, don't they? I'm not sure if that's another egg in the nest or a used golf ball! Maybe this Osprey is raiding a nearby cache!

ad6075de-cdd1-4ae0-a67f-5d1530f0e6a2.jpg

I'm just fascinated by this nest, can you tell? Junior is growing by leaps and bounds and Mom is decorating the nest, I think she has a thing for blue. You can see the plushy toy again, and she's added a touch of yellow. Probably a chewed up yellow duckie from the nearby cache, hehehehehe. :mad:

65980ad4-9b91-4150-871d-82c5c9270016.jpg

Update, Little Dude is growing so fast and getting ready to fly, almost.

04da8171-c7af-4277-b75d-cfe44a71509e.jpg

The little Blue Plushy toy keeps getting covered up and then uncovered again, as they add more stuff to the nest. But they never turn the darned thing over so I can see what's around its neck!!

Edited by Planet

I don't know if anyone checks up on it, it's one of the clearest webcams I've ever looked at (that's not many though). But today, GeoHo, Mopar and I went in our kayaks with GeoPenguin towed behind on an inflateable kayak and paddled down the Housatonic River to the marsh there, and I swear, we saw Momma and Poppa Osprey, and Poppa had a fish in his talons. We also Egrets, Sandpipers, Swans, Gulls, and numerous other birdlife. It was beautiful back there. We did not make it close to the nesting platform because the tide was going out and we were losing water fast. We may try that again. <_<

Yes the camera seems to be working fine.

What I'm wondering is if someone sometime does ever go up there, is so maybe they can grab the bear. If its a TB good, its some other lost stuffed animal, oh well it can be tossed. Since it keeps getting moved around then it wouldn't seem like it would damage the nest to remove it.

Ahhh, I see where you're going with that question now. Ospreys are really mean and protective. Anyone going there to check on it while there's a baby in the nest, ok, toddler at this point, would be risking life and limb! I have a friend who was mountain biking in the woods near his house and it was osprey territory and nesting season, and he was attacked by an osprey. So much so, that he was underneath his mountain bike fighting back with a stick, and he said he got pretty scared. He's no chicken! It swooped on him a few times. Finally he was able to get away and pedal for his life, but they are very protective creatures when it comes to their young. And I'm stilll not positive it's a TB. I'm waiting for it to get turned over. Maybe when Junior flies the coop, but there are probably laws about climbing osprey platforms. I could ask Audubon I suppose.

On another note, heard on the news this morning that while we were there yesterday there was a rare sighting of a Red Necked Stint out on the sand bar, which is more commonly found elsewhere, like China or Autralia. We missed all that excitement. Hehehe. It's a great place to go if you like watching birds.

Click on where it says that thing in my first post or click here. or copy and paste this url into your browser: http://67.86.143.68:81/view/index.shtml

Sorry, for the mixup. I did click the link and "wasn't able to find that site". I went home and tried it and it worked fine. It seems that work must be blocking that particular URL.

Now all you need to do is find a fearless (or crazy) geocacher to go up there. :):(

Russ (PastorDIC)

planet,

if you go back let me know, i'd give my letf nut to see if it's a bug.

Tim

As *cough cough* attractive as that offer is, I am not climbing an active osprey next in the middle of a salt marsh in an Audubon Center so I can get it! I'll just keep watching the web cam to see if Little Dude flips it over.

Planet!!!!!

How cute...and mondo bizarro, if that is, indeed, a TB! :D

And srt4guy...you might want to rethink your offer. My son just gave his left nut yesterday...for different reasons. :D

The outlook is good, though. I wouldn't have mentioned that, but Planet has met him, and she'd want to know.

Miss ya, girlfriend! :P

Little Dude has been flying for just over a week now. I saw him try his first (or one of his first) fish catch in the water you see beyond the next last week and he created such a wake behind him as he skiied across the surface. He's been leaving the nest for longer and longer periods of time. He could be sitting on the camera though as you see his wing in front of the camera in that pic above. I didn't use photo shop on that.

They say an adult osprey will catch a fish every fourth or fifth try, but a young one may take 20 tries before it's successful. I thinik Little Dude has good teachers, mom and dad are very good parents.

Regarding the plushy toy in the nest, the Audubon website says this:

Nesting material: Besides sticks, grass, seaweed and clods of mud, the following items have been found in Osprey nests: oars, fish nets, life preservers, hay rake, toy boats, brooms, boots, shoes, dolls, baskets, plastic sheeting and bags, door mat, bird wings and bleached bones.

Mopar and GeoHo went to the Audubon Center and said they have a TV set up there so you can watch them, and it's way better than the online viewing. They also told me they have record of what day the toy showed up in the nest. I guess there is a logbook there.

I'm sure it is Sophia Loren, although she does seem to be making a break for freedom.

Don't jump, Sophia, it ain't worth it!!

She's on her back now after being man(Bird)-handled around. Got some great pictures of it happening, but don't know how to post them. Can anyone help me out?

Edited by ZoomLens

ZoomLens, Sorry, didn't read your post fully before posting my own.

For linking to pictures you will need a web server where you can publish your pictures to then link to them from your post here at Groundspeak. When you do a "Post Reply" you are given a couple of "buttons" above the editing box and the green one is used to add a link to a picture that will be shown as part of the post (point at them to get an explaining text) when you already have the web address to the picture that is.

I also find the idea of the bear being a TB intriguing. At the very least, if it turns out NOT to be a TB, then if it ever is retrieved it needs to become one! What a story! :laughing:

Matt

I am watching it now and I can see something yellow/white flapping so I think it is just a bow/ribbon that is on him. Sorry all don't think it is a TB (yet).

I also find the idea of the bear being a TB intriguing. At the very least, if it turns out NOT to be a TB, then if it ever is retrieved it needs to become one! What a story! :laughing:

Matt

I am watching it now and I can see something yellow/white flapping so I think it is just a bow/ribbon that is on him. Sorry all don't think it is a TB (yet).

:blink: At this point, I don't think it really matters. This little blue plushy's captured the imagination of a lot of us who frequent these forums. I vote that if it is ever recovered and finds its way into the hands of a cacher, it needs to become a TB if it isn't one already. Everybody loves a compelling story of survival!! <_< I know I'd put it on my watch list right away!

Cheers,

Matt

ZoomLens, Sorry, didn't read your post fully before posting my own.

For linking to pictures you will need a web server where you can publish your pictures to then link to them from your post here at Groundspeak. When you do a "Post Reply" you are given a couple of "buttons" above the editing box and the green one is used to add a link to a picture that will be shown as part of the post (point at them to get an explaining text) when you already have the web address to the picture that is.