Gps Altitude On 60csx Via Change Data Fields

zookc

I just purchased a GPSmap 60CSx. It appears the only way to display the GPS calculated altitude is from the Satellite page, through the menu selection.

I use my GPS inside commercial flights. The pressure derived altitude not work correctly within a pressurized aircraft cabin. Under normal conditions the internal pressure is maintained at the equivelant of less than about 8,000 feet.

Does anyone know if Garmin is planning on making the GPS altitude available through the "Change Data Fields" menu? Anyone know how we go about requesting this feature from Garmin?

As far as I am concerned, the GPS altitude doesn't even need to be integrated with the altitude plotting feature. Just make it so that I can select it from the "Change Data Fields" menus.

I just purchased a GPSmap 60CSx. It appears the only way to display the GPS calculated altitude is from the Satellite page, through the menu selection.

I use my GPS inside commercial flights. The pressure derived altitude not work correctly within a pressurized aircraft cabin. Under normal conditions the internal pressure is maintained at the equivelant of less than about 8,000 feet.

Does anyone know if Garmin is planning on making the GPS altitude available through the "Change Data Fields" menu? Anyone know how we go about requesting this feature from Garmin?

As far as I am concerned, the GPS altitude doesn't even need to be integrated with the altitude plotting feature. Just make it so that I can select it from the "Change Data Fields" menus.

Try "Elevation" :grin:

NOPE. That's elevation based on barometric pressure, way off in the cabin of commercial aircraft.

I would also like to see 'GPS Elevation' added as an option in the changable data fields.

Really? Very strange. The GPS V works properly on planes.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Yep, I just took mine on a commercial flight and was thinking the same thing...why cant I select gsp elevation instead of altimeter??? Seems a stupid ommision.

NOPE. That's elevation based on barometric pressure, way off in the cabin of commercial aircraft.

I would also like to see 'GPS Elevation' added as an option in the changable data fields.

That's 'cuz the GPS V doesn't have barometric pressure sensors for smoothing out elevation and the 60CSx does. Without the sensors there's only the GPS elevation to report.

I think he meant that its strange that the 60csx doesn't have the option to display the real GPS altitude as one of the information box's and then he commented that his GPSV worked like he wants it to on planes and the 60csx lacks this ability (for now anyway GARMIN, this should be an easy fix!!! hint hint).

That's 'cuz the GPS V doesn't have barometric pressure sensors for smoothing out elevation and the 60CSx does. Without the sensors there's only the GPS elevation to report.

In that case I fully agree with the strangeness, the CSx should have that option. I'd like to be able to see both reported side by side for use in places other than a plane. Hmmm, maybe thats why you can't? I agree it should be an easy addition though.

I think he meant that its strange that the 60csx doesn't have the option to display the real GPS altitude as one of the information box's and then he commented that his GPSV worked like he wants it to on planes and the 60csx lacks this ability (for now anyway GARMIN, this should be an easy fix!!! hint hint).

Why not just go to the main menu page>altimeter>enter> and turn auto calibration off/ That should "disconnect" the barometric altimeter from the equation and then the GPS elevation is just that....the GPS elevation.

In the airplane the altimeter reading will be affected by the cabin pressure but the GPS elevation should read correctly if you are locked onto sattelites

When they are "connected" by "auto calibration" it's the GPS that corrects the barometric altimeter , not the other way around.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Why not just go to the main menu page>altimeter>enter> and turn auto calibration off/ That should "disconnect" the barometric altimeter from the equation and then the GPS elevation is just that....the GPS elevation.

In the airplane the altimeter reading will be affected by the cabin pressure but the GPS elevation should read correctly if you are locked onto sattelites

When they are "connected" by "auto calibration" it's the GPS that corrects the barometric altimeter , not the other way around.

I don't think the 60csx it works that way. The "auto calibration" is used to automatically adjust for long term changes in the barametric pressure. With "auto calibraition" off, I believe that the altitude displayed will still be calculated from the pressure, instead of the GPS altitude. To date the only way I have found to get the GPS altitude is from the Satellite page, through the menu selection.

It would be nice to be able to see both the GPS and pressure altitude on the same screen.

I've suggested this to them twice. Once back in February, a couple weeks after I got my unit, and just a couple weeks ago now, with a few software reviosion gone bt without adding this feature. I think it's completely retarded that you can't ignore the baro. Even inside my work building, since it's a hermetically sealed building, the pressure's wrong for the altitude and it displays wrong info.

I suggest that anyone who wants this feature added suggest it to them through their tech spport. If they don't think anyone wants it, they'll never work on it.

I've suggested this to them twice. Once back in February, a couple weeks after I got my unit, and just a couple weeks ago now, with a few software reviosion gone bt without adding this feature. I think it's completely retarded that you can't ignore the baro. Even inside my work building, since it's a hermetically sealed building, the pressure's wrong for the altitude and it displays wrong info.

I suggest that anyone who wants this feature added suggest it to them through their tech spport. If they don't think anyone wants it, they'll never work on it.

Good suggestion. The URL to submit something to Garmin tech support is: http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

I have just submitted the following request to Garmin tech support.

"I would like to request that the GPS altitude be added to the list of parameters that can be selected from the "Change Data Fields" menu. I use my GPSMap 60CSx from inside pressurized commecial aircraft. It is a hassle to have to go to the Satellite menu in order to view the GPS altitude. I would like to be able to view pressure and GPS altitude side by side.

Please see the following Groundspeak forum for discussion concerning this request.

'http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=136426'"

Thanks for the link..I just posted my request also.

Good suggestion. The URL to submit something to Garmin tech support is: http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

"I would like to request that the GPS altitude be added to the list of parameters that can be selected from the "Change Data Fields" menu. I use my GPSMap 60CSx from inside pressurized commecial aircraft. It is a hassle to have to go to the Satellite menu in order to view the GPS altitude. I would like to be able to view pressure and GPS altitude side by side.

Please see the following Groundspeak forum for discussion concerning this request.

Unless I am totally mis- understanding the problem, which is entirely possible....

On my 76CS on the altimeter page one of the choices I can change the data fields to is Elevation. That would be the elevation as calculated by GPS, nothing to do with pressure. The other data field can be set to show whichever pressure you desire, Amb or Baro. and have auto calibration "OFF" to keep the GPS Elevation from trying to adjust the barometric altimeter "altitude"

I've never even heard of the term "GPS altitude"

Well, on my 60csx the "elevation" is always the pressure elevation not the gps elevation (except on the satalite page where you can choose too see on a one time basis the GPS elevation). I know this because on a pressurized airplane the elevation tracks the pressure in the plane not the real elevation.'

Just for everyones information...To get accurate altimeter readings always turn OFF autocalibration. You will have to reset your pressure as local condtions change but the alternative is very unacceptable where the gps is constantly trying to use satallite elevation to fixe the local barometer reading.

Also, for anyone haveing distance inaccuracies, turn off lock on road. I've found that If I dont turn OFF "lock on road" my running (jogging) distances are way off due to differences in my real track and the road track.

Unless I am totally mis- understanding the problem, which is entirely possible....

On my 76CS on the altimeter page one of the choices I can change the data fields to is Elevation. That would be the elevation as calculated by GPS, nothing to do with pressure. The other data field can be set to show whichever pressure you desire, Amb or Baro. and have auto calibration "OFF" to keep the GPS Elevation from trying to adjust the barometric altimeter "altitude"

Edited by kb9nvh

The term "GPS altitude" is used only once in the 60csx manual (and I assume all of the S series). The term is used in the section labeled "Using the Satellite Page Options Menu".

Edited by zookc

Would have to show GPS altitude just like my old gps V used to. This is what is so perplexing why garmin left out the option to display what we took for granted with the non "s" versions.

From another perspective...

What would your elevation on the airplane show if you had a Cx not a CSx?

Edited by kb9nvh

I just emailed tGarmin a request to add GPS elevation as a selectable data field option too.

I also asked if they'd consider adding a 2nd map page so one could be setup for driving, another for hiking. And while I was at it, I asked if they would add an option to display tracks saved to SD card directly on the GPS.

Just for everyones information...To get accurate altimeter readings always turn OFF autocalibration. You will have to reset your pressure as local condtions change but the alternative is very unacceptable where the gps is constantly trying to use satallite elevation to fixe the local barometer reading.

Interesting, on my 60cs, I'm pretty sure I've set it on auto, and I've always found it to be pretty accurate (in reference to known points). I just don't want to deal with having to calibrate it periodically.

(And as far as I know, they've never added the ability to show gps altitude on the 60cs, so my guess is the odds are slim they'll add it to the 60csx)

My experience with the autocalibrate was that I ran a 5 mile run over a few hills. I reset everything for the start of the run. I turn around at 2.5 miles and retrace my track back to my starting point. During the run there is a large hill with a deep valley (tree cover is medium). The elevation plot was offset by about 30 ft for the return trip with autocalibrate on...It was obvious since the return trip profile should have been a mirror of the outgoing trip. The next day, same run, auto calibrate off. The return trip elevation plot was identical to the outgoing trip. For running, 30 was a big deal...driving, maybe not. Maybe it was just a bad GPS elevation day, or maybe my tree cover caused such inaccuracies that it messed it up.

Also, I know that, with it on, every trip back to my house has me at a new altitude +-50ft from what I set it too and know my true elevation at the house.

Interesting, on my 60cs, I'm pretty sure I've set it on auto, and I've always found it to be pretty accurate (in reference to known points). I just don't want to deal with having to calibrate it periodically.

(And as far as I know, they've never added the ability to show gps altitude on the 60cs, so my guess is the odds are slim they'll add it to the 60csx)

Just sent same request to Garmin.

I hope they receive enough quantity to take it into account.

pyt22fr

I don't know what the advantage would be to having the ability to display the GPS (satellite) derived altitude. You'll just wind up aggravating yourself looking at the difference between the barometer and the satellite elevation. The problem has always been that with auto cal "on", the gps using the sats, corrects the barometer altitude. This works reasonably well until you get yourself in a position where you have a bad sat configuration, or some of the sats are blocked because of the terrain you are in. Of course none of us know what logic Garmin uses as to when and how it will decide whether a given sat altitude is "accurate" enough to be used as a "correction". I can say from using it a lot, that using just the barometer is a lot more accurate than relying on the GPS sat side to add it's "corrections". Of course that applies only when you don't have a significant movement in atmospheric pressure. It also means that you have to calibrate the unit from a known atmospheric pressure or elevation which sometimes is a PITA. For ease of use and more reliable results, I am more comfortable with the topo contour lines, as I make my own and they are more detailed than Garmins. This method doesn't of course give you a pretty altutude graph on the GPS., something I would find as an interesting reference, but very non-interesting if it's not accurate....which it isn't.

I have always had a hunch the GPS sat correction doesn't have, or doesn't have a good enough logic circuit to decide when it has an accurate enough sat reading to apply the correction. To check the variation on the GPS altitude, try taking several readiings ath the same spot on different times of the day using the sat page and GPS the GPS altitude...with my 60CS I can see a "big" swing in altitudes....

I don't know what the advantage would be to having the ability to display the GPS (satellite) derived altitude. You'll just wind up aggravating yourself looking at the difference between the barometer and the satellite elevation. The problem has always been that with auto cal "on", the gps using the sats, corrects the barometer altitude. This works reasonably well until you get yourself in a position where you have a bad sat configuration, or some of the sats are blocked because of the terrain you are in. Of course none of us know what logic Garmin uses as to when and how it will decide whether a given sat altitude is "accurate" enough to be used as a "correction". I can say from using it a lot, that using just the barometer is a lot more accurate than relying on the GPS sat side to add it's "corrections". Of course that applies only when you don't have a significant movement in atmospheric pressure. It also means that you have to calibrate the unit from a known atmospheric pressure or elevation which sometimes is a PITA. For ease of use and more reliable results, I am more comfortable with the topo contour lines, as I make my own and they are more detailed than Garmins. This method doesn't of course give you a pretty altutude graph on the GPS., something I would find as an interesting reference, but very non-interesting if it's not accurate....which it isn't.

I have always had a hunch the GPS sat correction doesn't have, or doesn't have a good enough logic circuit to decide when it has an accurate enough sat reading to apply the correction. To check the variation on the GPS altitude, try taking several readiings ath the same spot on different times of the day using the sat page and GPS the GPS altitude...with my 60CS I can see a "big" swing in altitudes....

Probably the only time I would use the GPS altitude is when I am in a pressurized aircraft. I find it very awkward to have to go back to that Satellite page to see my GPS derived altitude. As to the altitude accuracy in the aircraft, I don't expect the GPS based altitude to be very accurate. Plus or minus a 100 feet would not surprise me, even with WAAS (due to the poor satellite geometry, multipath reflections in a metal tube and only seeing the satellites out one side of the aircraft).

Garmin has designed the 60csx so that the user can select the variables to be displayed. All we are asking for is that they make available a variable that has already being calculated by the GPS.

It occurs to me that the Glide Ratio is probably calculated based on the pressure altitude. This of course will not be accurate in a pressurized cabin.

I don't know what the advantage would be to having the ability to display the GPS (satellite) derived altitude....

Hi, I just want to have easy display for GPS altitude, not from the Satellite page menu, which is very awkward currently.

Useful on aircraft for sure.

By experience, I often like to compare GPS altitude to pressure altimeter, even though it varies a lot.

In the display list options, there are so many fields available that I don't actually need, at least if I could have the one that I wish to have (GPS altitude), it would be great.

pyt22fr

Yep, presurized airplanes is basically where I want to see it. But you are correct that in most instances your better off with the barometric pressure.

I also sent an email:

Please add GPS elevation as a selectable data field option too.

Please make an option to select: take elevation from GPS or ALTIMETER

A 2nd map page would be nice to change between setup for driving/biking, another one for hiking.

Display saved tracks from SD card directly on the GPS would be nice

On autorouting, there are 2 popups for the next turn. (could not find any option to custumize (or disable) 1. popup and to customize (disable) 2. popup)

There is only the possibility to enable/disable both popups.