Older Garmin Kicks Butt Over Newer Model

I started out with a basic Garmin etrex Legend. I attempted to find 3 caches and lost signal under light cover and got skunked for all three. Well I sent the Legend back to the store and got a brand new Garmin GPS 60 for about 125 bucks. There is no qusestion on performance. The basic GPS 60 did not lose signal on the same 3 caches I attempted to find with the basic legend etrax. So if you don't need maps and want a great unit with a geocache mode built in. I give the basic Garmin GPS 60 5 stars. Interesting Note I was at one of those caches and another couple had a Garmin 60scx. They started to lose signal, while my basic GPS 60,

still held 5 Satetiles. So who knows. maybe the old school way, still holds true...

But to clarify your results (not including the comparison between your 60 and the 60csx), what you have experienced is the difference between the patch antenna that your legend had and the more sensitive quad helix antenna.

Your older 60 series unit does have a much better antenna than a "newer" Legend.

The new x series units have a quad helix antenna, but their huge advantage is the new SiRF III receiver that is much more sensitive than anything previously available. I get a solid lock on satellites in my basement, which is something that my 60cs will never be able to achieve.

But to clarify your results (not including the comparison between your 60 and the 60csx), what you have experienced is the difference between the patch antenna that your legend had and the more sensitive quad helix antenna.

Your older 60 series unit does have a much better antenna than a "newer" Legend.

The new x series units have a quad helix antenna, but their huge advantage is the new SiRF III receiver that is much more sensitive than anything previously available. I get a solid lock on satellites in my basement, which is something that my 60cs will never be able to achieve.

I agree and you get less bounce in the woods. I sure wish I had the budget for the newer model..However

I wonder if you are picking up satellites or WAAS in your basement or indoors? (( I can dream of owning a "x" series -> can't I)) :grin:

I agree and you get less bounce in the woods. I sure wish I had the budget for the newer model..However

I wonder if you are picking up satellites or WAAS in your basement or indoors? (( I can dream of owning a "x" series -> can't I)) :grin:

I do get a lock on the WAAS satellites indoors. I haven't gone downstairs to check on the WAAS satellites in the basement since the software/firmware upgrade.

Garmin just replaced my 60cs with a reconditoned one (after it was run over with a car), but I haven't even bothered to put batteries in it yet since the cxs is so incredibly nice.