Our Cache Is Gone - What Now

Maddytk

If you plan on replacing it, you would disable it. Otherwise archive it. Do not archive it however if you are going to replace it.

This does happen from time to time. If your cache is in an area where searchers are likely to be observed or where it is close to businesses or homes there is a good chance it will go missing.

You posted on Saturday that you knew the cache was gone. You really need to disable a cache as soon as you know it is missing. It's common courtesy so that others do not go looking for it. There is no indication on the cache page that there is a problem with your cache, so fellow cachers have no idea that they should not go hunting. Whether you are going to replace it or archive it, you need to temporarily disable it ASAP.

From what I've read here and on your cache page, here's what I'd do:

• Disable it, but not archive it just yet.
  • Scout the area close to the cache. Look for the cache very thoroughly out to about 100' as there is no guarantee it was put back exactly where it is supposed to be. I nearly archived a cache when another find notification was emailed. I queried the finder and he told me it had been moved about 30'. I had assumed it was gone because I was only looking in the spot it was supposed to be.
  • If you can't find it, look for another hiding spot nearby further off the trail, but out of the poison ivy.
  • Take new coords and adjust the page. You can move the cache up to 528', but 100' or so should be about the max depending on the terrain.
  • If you can't find a new, better hidding spot nearby. You could try again in the same spot, but you have to realize the likelyhood of another disappearance is high.
  • If all of the above fails, archive the cache and move further up the trail and further off the trail to hide a new one. Hide it better. Put a note on the cache page for the finders to move away from the hiding spot to trade and sign in. Doing this will reduce the chance of the spot being discovered when a muggle observes them with the cache.

Hope this helps.

Disable it, but not archive it just yet.

Sound advice for several reasons. One of them being that archived caches are not shown in PQs, so if a cache goes straight from Active to Archived, people who has it in a PQ will probably never notice. If you instead disable it for at least a week before archival, chances are much better that it will be updated from Active to Disabled in the PQ, so people won't go looking for it in vain.

Sound advice for several reasons. One of them being that archived caches are not shown in PQs, so if a cache goes straight from Active to Archived, people who has it in a PQ will probably never notice. If you instead disable it for at least a week before archival, chances are much better that it will be updated from Active to Disabled in the PQ, so people won't go looking for it in vain.

As one who has spent an hour or so looking for an archived cache that never updated in my PQ I can attest to this. :rolleyes:

Disabled caches come up in PQs and are flagged red in GSAK. Caches that go straight from active to archived don't come up in the next PQ and just don't get updated. I've since learned to check the "last update" column and chase down any that didn't update in my latest PQ :rolleyes:

Edited by wandererrob
Disable it, but not archive it just yet.

Very true. I created new PQs for a camping trip to the nearby desert. Since the data was "relatively fresh," I didn't do the "Last Update .GPX" date filter and this is what happened. :rolleyes:

I'm going to re-hash a bit, but my advice will be in the middle between CR and BS though you won't go wrong with either.

1) disable it.

2) take a look. If it was just moved, you are good to go, If it's missing and and likely to go missing again when rehidden then...

3) replace it in a harder to find spot.

if that spot is for all intents and purposes the same cache experience, tweak your coordinates in the cache page and list it.

If that spot is a different cache expereince, archive the original cache then list this replacment as a new cache.

4) If the spot has too many muggles to sustain a cache archive it and looksomewhere else for a spot to hide a cache.

5) if you hide it again and it goes missing again, the spot has been compromised and your offender is checking back for more goodies every now and then. Time to archive and move on.

3) replace it in a harder to find spot.

This option provides the opportunity to rehide the cache knowing that you have to increase the sophistication of the hide.

When you go looking for your lost cache make sure you check places nearby that someone would throw something away, (trash bins, crevices, coulees etc.) For future hides always include a cache card that explains geocaching. Make sure to check your caches often, this is the most important one, many geocachers will not rehide your cache well. Try and make your hiding spot bulletproof, don't depend upon geocachers to stack rocks nicely or pile wood naturally. Every cache I have had stolen has been in a high visibility location but was hidden in what I thought was a clever manner, never underestimate the other team! (the non-geocachers)

Try and look for protected places that are out of the way, a woodpecker hole or a strange stump might look neat but every kid will think so as well, regular, boring and expected is always good cover. Think durability from the word go, I have had several hides that were compromised by some aspect of the camouflage giving away and revealing the cache, keep everything heavy duty and simple when hiding caches. Never use brightly coloured materials covered by paint as the paint will flake :laughing: Paint ammo boxes with rust coloured primer so they do not look attractive.

There are so many neat ways to hide caches and the hiding spots are as varied as the hiders. Incorporating things that you have enjoyed finding is a good way to go with your own hides, I know we have gotten some great ideas and insights by caching in other areas nearby and seeing how other cachers hide their caches.