Garmin 60csx Turns Off, Shuts Down In Use

mgabel

I think this was discussed somewhere, but I could not find it.

My Garmin 60CSx is two weeks old. I have about 950 megs on my SD card.

Whenever I turn this one corner (or go down the street after I turn the corner) it simply shuts down. It does not matter if I am navigating or not. The first time I went down that street, it turned on and turned off 5 times in a row. Now it just shuts down - it turns off and I have to turn it on.

Since I just left for a road trip and have just used the installed maps in a tiny location (Houston), I'm concerned that the maps are corrupted throughout my planned trip. Or, maybe the unit is defective.

I seem to recall someone said to turn of proximity waypoints (not even sure what that is), but that did not help.

What's going on? Can I fix this on the road? Thanks. I'm running version 2.90 (firmware version?)

mgabel

With my 60CSX, the map wil lock up in certian places. Garmin kept telling me it was the GPS and I am on my 3rd GPS. I finally figured out that some custom POIs with proximity alerts was causing the problem. If you go to set up, system, and turn off proximity alerts, it works fine (other than not giving proximity alerts. So if it is doing it in certian locations, try turning off proximity alarms.

With my 60CSX, the map wil lock up in certian places. Garmin kept telling me it was the GPS and I am on my 3rd GPS. I finally figured out that some custom POIs with proximity alerts was causing the problem. If you go to set up, system, and turn off proximity alerts, it works fine (other than not giving proximity alerts. So if it is doing it in certian locations, try turning off proximity alarms.

Thanks. I'll try that. I shuts off at exactly at one corner and then down the block from that. Except, I don't have any custom PIOs. I have custom waypoints, of course. The same?

I don't have any option of getting a new GPSr at the moment as I'm on the road for a month.

I've heard of other people having this problem where the GPSr will always shut off at the same location when they are autorouting. This sounds like a bug in the map data.

But did I read correctly that you have had the unit shut down both when autorouting and not autorouting?

I've heard of other people having this problem where the GPSr will always shut off at the same location when they are autorouting. This sounds like a bug in the map data.

But did I read correctly that you have had the unit shut down both when autorouting and not autorouting?

Yes, it shuts down making this one particular turn whether or not it's navigating.

Now, GET THIS!!! If I turn OFF the GPS, do a GO TO and say YES to simlulate/demo the route, as the route is SIMULATED (I'm not moving) it turns off at exactly the same place.

What happens is there is a turn, that arrow saying to turn come up, but the tracking triangle does not make the turn. It passes the turn, turns around, and comes back to the turn (in like a second) and starts to get ready for the turn and then turns off!!

Explain that! :rolleyes:

Yes, it shuts down making this one particular turn whether or not it's navigating.

Now, GET THIS!!! If I turn OFF the GPS, do a GO TO and say YES to simlulate/demo the route, as the route is SIMULATED (I'm not moving) it turns off at exactly the same place.

What happens is there is a turn, that arrow saying to turn come up, but the tracking triangle does not make the turn. It passes the turn, turns around, and comes back to the turn (in like a second) and starts to get ready for the turn and then turns off!!

Explain that! :rolleyes:

Well, since you can reproduce the problem in demo mode, give the repro steps to garmin so they can fix the bug.

Sent an e-mail to Garmin this morning.

Was there ever any resolution to your problem?

I have a brand new 60CSx upgraded to v3.30 and it crashes always while it is calculating an auto route at around 48% complete. When I reboot it, it automatically restarts the calculation of the auto route and this time it goes all the way to 100%. This double effort to get an auto route is getting really annoying.

Any ideas?

quote:

I have a brand new 60CSx upgraded to v3.30 and it crashes always while it is calculating an auto route at around 48% complete. When I reboot it, it automatically restarts the calculation of the auto route and this time it goes all the way to 100%. This double effort to get an auto route is getting really annoying.

Any ideas?

------------------------

Does the shutdown occur on all autoroutes at 48%, or does it occur only on a specific autoroute?

Edited by Barrikady

Does the shutdown occur on all autoroutes at 48%, or does it occur only on a specific autoroute?

It happens to 2-3 autoroutes I tried. The first was from NYC to Cape Cod (just as an indication of distance) and the second was from NYC to NJ (around 50 miles). The NJ autoroute crashes at about 20%

I will try to hard reset the unit now since I have upgraded the firmware to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance.