Lead 5 Categories... Then What Happens If....

As it stands right now, each Premium Member is only allowed to have 5 Active Categories at a maximum.

But... there are ways to acquire more, some time without even trying. So can we get some answers to a few proposed scenarios? All of these assume innocence.

Scenario A - Leader quits a Category

Jake39 currently has 5 Categories and is not allowed to have more. Jake39 happens to be the second in command of the "Monarchs of the World" Category. He is Officer 1, and all others are Officer 2.

So, I decide that I want to quit being the Leader of Monarchs... by the given rules, Jake39 automatically become the new Leader... oh oh, just burst is queue! Now what happens?

Scenario B - Adopting a Category

During the adoption phase, I ended up becoming the Leader of two Categories, only because I signed up as Officer first. Fortunately I only owned three before so I stopped at my maximum... but what if I had been more ambitious? Might I have been saddled with 4 or 5 more because I was first in?

Scenario C - I'm gonna make more than 5 Categories anyway

I haven't tried it, but back when I was assigned as Leader of the two adopted Categories which put me at 5 in total, I was just about to start working on two more of my own. What happens if I try to make more than 5 Categories? I have had more than 5 Groups that I was Leader of at once. Will the system actually try to stop me? Being totally honest here.. I own one just for another person that was already at their limit of 5. Is it possible that in the new version of Waymarking there will be a chance to own more than 5 Categories?

Luckily I am down to 4 Categories now, so I can start to build one. Problem is that I have 2 that I want to start... maybe I'll find the answer to Senario C on my own.

:ph34r: The Blue Quasar

I haven't tried it, but back when I was assigned as Leader of the two adopted Categories which put me at 5 in total, I was just about to start working on two more of my own. What happens if I try to make more than 5 Categories? I have had more than 5 Groups that I was Leader of at once. Will the system actually try to stop me? Being totally honest here.. I own one just for another person that was already at their limit of 5. Is it possible that in the new version of Waymarking there will be a chance to own more than 5 Categories?

Luckily I am down to 4 Categories now, so I can start to build one. Problem is that I have 2 that I want to start... maybe I'll find the answer to Senario C on my own.

:grin: The Blue Quasar

This kind of happened to me when I signed up to a number of categories and as happenstance would have it I was Officer 1 until Adopt Me dropped out and made me leader and I could see I was fast-tracking toward exceeding the limit. What I did on a couple of the categories that held my interest but not my heart was once they got established I offered the leadership role to the next officer down - as chances are (with some of them at least) that the category may mean MORE to them as it does for you. If they wanted it I just demoted myself - this is what happened with Fishing Holes as the next guy down obviously had some good ideas and intentions for the category and as much as I has some vested interest in Fishing Holes - I didn't think it was going to be detrimental to it to hand it down and then I played 2nd fiddle - which I was happy to do. That has been my solution to staying under the legal limit!!

I was wondering when this was going to come up. Are we aware of the exploit? Yes. Are we interested in doing anything about it? Not at the moment. Are you annoyed when people ask questions and then answer them? Me too.

Scenario A - Leader quits a Category

Jake39 currently has 5 Categories and is not allowed to have more. Jake39 happens to be the second in command of the "Monarchs of the World" Category. He is Officer 1, and all others are Officer 2.

So, I decide that I want to quit being the Leader of Monarchs... by the given rules, Jake39 automatically become the new Leader... oh oh, just burst is queue! Now what happens?

If Jake39 currently leads 5 categories, and you quitting a 6th category makes him the leader, bingo - he leads 6 categories.

Scenario B - Adopting a Category

During the adoption phase, I ended up becoming the Leader of two Categories, only because I signed up as Officer first. Fortunately I only owned three before so I stopped at my maximum... but what if I had been more ambitious? Might I have been saddled with 4 or 5 more because I was first in?

This is basically the same situation as above.

Scenario C - I'm gonna make more than 5 Categories anyway

:) The Blue Quasar

You won't be able to create any new categories once you lead 5. The option to do so simply does not appear any longer after you create a Group. Basically, we're trying to give others the chance to lead categories they may be interested in without a core group of 5 diehard waymarkers snatching up all the good ones first. We're aware that you can lead more than 5 categories by "adopting" abandoned categories, but we're frankly unconcerned. We'd rather good categories didn't disappear than enforce an arbitrary category management limit.

As before, the category limit is not a hard and fast rule, but a guideline put in place to prevent an insane dash to submit as many categories as possible, potentially watering down the directory with half-baked categories. For now we'll be watchful for obvious abuse of this "exploit", but will not worry if some of you devoted waymarkers happen to go over the limit to save abandoned categories.

-Nate